Zander

Status
Not open for further replies.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
hey all i asked this on the chat room no one was able to anwser it,,
On my Local Strech Is it possible to get Zander if the is large heards of pike and perch (and do they Cross breed)

Regards Gf
[h6]Take me toThe Maggotdrowners[/h6]

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Zander are a seperate species not a cross between pike and perch. The fallacy is brought about by the alternative name of pike-perch

chill out go fishing

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
The only pike crossbreed I can find any mention of is with Muskellunge (Esox masquinongy). The result is called a Tiger Musky.

The pike isn't even AFAIK known to cross with Chain Pickerel (Esox niger) or Redfin Pickerel (Esox americanus) which are also closely related.

Crossing with any of the Perca would be most strange.

And an Esox / Perca cross (if it were possible) producing a Stizostedion or Sander (have seen both ??) (S. lucioperca = zander) absolutely boggles the mind.

All the above is just a long form of the "no" I gave you when you asked in the chat room BTW.

Newt Vail

Edited by - Newt on 12 March 2002 11:46:30 PM

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi GF,

As far as I'm aware there are no Zander in this part of Yorkshire so if you do find one can you let us all know

Dave

Cyprinid_boy

I might have some spare zander if you want some up there? The problem of the pike perch cross evolves from a species known as the wallaye or pike-perch. It is called this as it looks a little like a pike and a perch (didn't need to explain that!). They have no sexual relation and are not a cross of either species. Zander will live happily with pike and perch - if they get hungry the buggers will probably eat them

Mat

Status
Not open for further replies.