Zander

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I was pole fishing the big lake today, having plenty of bites from roach and skimmers.
A French guy stopped for a chat, he was headed further up the bank where he was going to deadbait for Zander. He claimed he had taken zander to double figures as well as perch to 3lb this way.
I have never caught a zander, but have caught pike and perch on ledgered deadbaits and there are no shortage of small roach when you are fishing maggot on the pole, so, any tips on catching my first "Z"

CarpCatcher86

If I remember rightly, you can only use live bait (ie the small roach you mentioned) in the water you have caught them from.
Lures and spinners can work but deadbaiting, mainly small roach works well depending on the venue and conditions.
Other than that, wire traces and tactics usually reserved for pike should be just fine.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
The best advice I was given was to think of it as scaled up perch fishing, rather than scaled down piking. They are generally far more finicky and essentially, you want to fish a small fresh deadbait. When I'm talking small, I'm talking 3/4 of a 1oz roach - I prefer to keep the head on and cut the other end. My prefered rig is a single hook - around size 6/8 through the nose of the bait, which takes the force of the cast, and then a small treble, size 8ish about 2-3 inches away. You can either float fish for them, lay it just over depth, and you can get away with a big waggler, or obviously on the bottom. On the bottom, strike at any indication.

That said, the two biggest zeds I've had have both given me an absolutely screaming 1 toner (this one on a huge sardine intended for pike), as did a double that a friend caught when I took them out fishing for them earlier this year.

It's done me OK :)

*EDIT* Oh... and timing - an hour either side of dusk has always been the proverbial witching hour!

20-a-12-8-zed-sardine-18th-feb-2021-jpg.167819

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Can't really offer any advice, only ever caught two, both by accident. One was around six inches long and took a gold coloured hook on a leger set up, I think the bread bait had come off and the fish was attracted to the colour of the hook. The second was foulhooked while fishing the Method on a French lake for bream. Picture of that one below. Absolutely no fight at all and I had to stand in the water to lift it out by hand.

Zander Resized.jpg