Zander

DomCrtr1975

An Idiot looking for his Village!
....if they go back they go back....

Coming from "The Fens" originally it was this species that make a name for "East Angular" Specimen River Fishing!

The Trent's got some units now, but the Fens were always regarded as the Zander Mecca

160642fishing

Site Supporter
They invaded the Tidal stretch of the Great Ouse at Earith and decimated the roach fishing,we used to have matches just to catch them,using very small legered roach on heavyish match rods we caught hundreds,as the secretary of the local club the then Anglian Water officials gave me a load of cellophane packets and asked me to take a scale off the shoulder and send them to them,they said the smaller ones hunted in packs and would move up river while the bigger fish would hang about solitary,they re-stocked the stretch once the smaller ones moved off with roach and bream from Grafham,I had a freezer full and very nice they were too.The bailiff who think that Pike are scavengers only is an idiot,why does he think so many attack small fish while they are being landed or caught on livebaits.
For those of you wanting to catch a Zander be prepared for a lot of dropped runs and fish as light as you can get away with.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
....if they go back they go back....

Coming from "The Fens" originally it was this species that make a name for "East Angular" Specimen River Fishing!

The Trent's got some units now, but the Fens were always regarded as the Zander Mecca
I’ve heard that our Eastern European friends have decimated the pike and Zander on the Fens now. Is it that true do you think ?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
A highly efficient roach scoffing predator has been let loose in our waterways, the only way to deal with them is to kill them.

The only good effing zander is an effing dead one.

JayD

I've done it with catfish, and would do it with zander if the EA/fishery rules required it.

I find it strange that anglers often go on about 'obeying rules', but it seems that the only rules to be adhered to, are the ones we personally agree with.

We're a strange bunch.

John.

Silver fan 82

I've done it with catfish, and would do it with zander if the EA/fishery rules required it.

I find it strange that anglers often go on about 'obeying rules', but it seems that the only rules to be adhered to, are the ones we personally agree with.

We're a strange bunch.

John.
I totally agree with what you said mate and my response would have been the same. As for predatory species attacking bait fish for fun? I don't think so. They do it to survive, I believe its called the food chain? This bloke obviously hasn't got a clue. Pike mainly scavange feed? OK LOL! 😂 Yeah sure they do but they have evolved to become ambush predators.
It annoys me that some people still have this view towards the like of Pike, Zander and Eels. I was Pike fishing the other week when a passers-by said if he caught a Pike he would knock it on the head because they destroy the silverfish population. Not in a well managed / maintained eco system they won't!
As for Zander not being native, does it really matter!? And fair play to you mate for the Carp comment.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
It's an age thing Silver Fan and most younger anglers would just be happy to go out and catch fish that have a bit of weight to them.
Lure fishing has steadily been on the increase the past twenty or so years and a lot of that is down to Preds in general being more prized and accessible.

One of the lads of works for me has been catching some cracking Zander on the local canal the past 18 months and the polies are regularly catching double figure silver weights.

On my stretch of the Severn there is a very healthy stock of Zander (and very big ones to 18lb caught) and we have also seen an increase in Roach catches.
You can't second guess nature.

Silver fan 82

It's an age thing Silver Fan and most younger anglers would just be happy to go out and catch fish that have a bit of weight to them.
Lure fishing has steadily been on the increase the past twenty or so years and a lot of that is down to Preds in general being more prized and accessible.

One of the lads of works for me has been catching some cracking Zander on the local canal the past 18 months and the polies are regularly catching double figure silver weights.

On my stretch of the Severn there is a very healthy stock of Zander (and very big ones to 18lb caught) and we have also seen an increase in Roach catches.
Lure fishing is very popular now Lee. I think it is a generation thing. Where do you draw the line though? The carp we have in fisheries nowadays aren't native. In Australia they are considered a pest so should we all start bashing carp over the head? I don't think so.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I do believe that in some circumstances fish should be removed to preserve the eco-system and the health of the fish stock but only if it is proven to be needed.

I am an all round angler and just enjoy fishing so I adapt with any changes.
If Catfish started appearing in numbers on the Severn then I would be searching to catch one.
Life is ever changing and there will be many on here who would have fished for Perch and then seen the stocks crash through disease. Now they are back and of a size we had not seen before

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
There are apparently quite a lot of zander in the Oxford canal and their introduction has coincided with the demise of the canals fish stocks and you would think there’s no smoke without fire but who really knows. Weirdly/thankfully they don’t seem to have got into the Thames despite them being connected and that does still have booming fish stocks. In fact I haven’t heard of them getting further downstream than where the canal temporarily joins the cherwell so maybe they prefer canal conditions to rivers for all I know. Another interesting thing is that my cousin lure fishes the canal and river a lot and has never caught one so they must be less numerous or feed less aggressively than perch or pike.

I personally have no real desire to catch one as apart from perch coarse predator fishing doesn’t particularly interest me. But if I fluked one in the manner I do pike then provided it wasn’t in the Thames or other places they aren’t supposedly in I’d be quite happy to have caught one as they do look quite interesting.

Catfish on the other hand I have absolutely no desire to see let alone catch. A lot of fishing is about aesthetics for me and those sods have nothing going for them in that department 😂

squimp

Site Supporter
There are apparently quite a lot of zander in the Oxford canal and their introduction has coincided with the demise of the canals fish stocks and you would think there’s no smoke without fire but who really knows. Weirdly/thankfully they don’t seem to have got into the Thames despite them being connected and that does still have booming fish stocks. In fact I haven’t heard of them getting further downstream than where the canal temporarily joins the cherwell so maybe they prefer canal conditions to rivers for all I know. Another interesting thing is that my cousin lure fishes the canal and river a lot and has never caught one so they must be less numerous or feed less aggressively than perch or pike.

I personally have no real desire to catch one as apart from perch coarse predator fishing doesn’t particularly interest me. But if I fluked one in the manner I do pike then provided it wasn’t in the Thames or other places they aren’t supposedly in I’d be quite happy to have caught one as they do look quite interesting.

Catfish on the other hand I have absolutely no desire to see let alone catch. A lot of fishing is about aesthetics for me and those sods have nothing going for them in that department 😂
‘Introduction’ is an interesting term.

You will probably find that the zander have gradually moved South down the Oxford canal. They will already be in the Thames where they join. And given the current high roach stock in the middle and upper Thames they will prosper. There are already some big ones down in the lower river (west London etc).

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
‘Introduction’ is an interesting term.

You will probably find that the zander have gradually moved South down the Oxford canal. They will already be in the Thames where they join. And given the current high roach stock in the middle and upper Thames they will prosper. There are already some big ones down in the lower river (west London etc).
I can only hope you’re wrong but I suspect you are right. Does seem a stretch that they wouldn’t have made it downstream so suspect they have just not in as great a numbers as upstream.

squimp

Site Supporter
I’ve just googled Thames zander out of general interest.

There is obviously an established population in the lower river - it produced a 20lb fish in 2015.

I found a report of fish caught as far up as Hinton Waldrist (well above Oxford) And the odd one caught in matches round Oxford/Abingdon.

If it is any consolation a pal of mine has perch fished the river above Oxford and he has never mentioned catching any zander. He has caught lots from the Severn and Glos canal. If there were many in the upper Thames he would have caught some, he knows exactly what he is doing.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Plenty of good discussion here. Very surprised by the mixed amount of replies on the matter of Zander in our ponds and rivers! o_O

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve just googled Thames zander out of general interest.

There is obviously an established population in the lower river - it produced a 20lb fish in 2015.

I found a report of fish caught as far up as Hinton Waldrist (well above Oxford) And the odd one caught in matches round Oxford/Abingdon.

If it is any consolation a pal of mine has perch fished the river above Oxford and he has never mentioned catching any zander. He has caught lots from the Severn and Glos canal. If there were many in the upper Thames he would have caught some, he knows exactly what he is doing.
Yeah can’t be many around Oxford can there. If there was I’m sure I’d have heard of them being caught or perhaps even seen them myself plus I’m pretty sure my cousin would have had one or two given the time he’s put in lure fishing it. Am surprised he hasn’t got any out of the canal though.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I totally agree with what you said mate and my response would have been the same. As for predatory species attacking bait fish for fun? I don't think so. They do it to survive, I believe its called the food chain? This bloke obviously hasn't got a clue. Pike mainly scavange feed? OK LOL! 😂 Yeah sure they do but they have evolved to become ambush predators.
It annoys me that some people still have this view towards the like of Pike, Zander and Eels. I was Pike fishing the other week when a passers-by said if he caught a Pike he would knock it on the head because they destroy the silverfish population. Not in a well managed / maintained eco system they won't!
As for Zander not being native, does it really matter!? And fair play to you mate for the Carp comment.
Zander munch their way through no end of roach, a species for whatever reason have taken a bashing the last few years but thankfully
seem to be recovering. I can only speak for the rivers that I fish and the last thing these waters need are sodding Zander. This especially
applies with fresh introductions which breed like wildfire and do real damage.

How can you possibly be `annoyed` by people like me who are `annoyed` over the spread of Zander? Explain...

Phoebe, why is it an age thing? Explain...

Secondly you say you can `adapt`. How am I supposed to adapt my roach fishing when the roach have all disappeared? Explain...
The fish or the bailiff pomp?😉
Several things need bashing Dave:devilish:

Silver fan 82

Zander munch their way through no end of roach, a species for whatever reason have taken a bashing the last few years but thankfully
seem to be recovering. I can only speak for the rivers that I fish and the last thing these waters need are sodding Zander. This especially
applies with fresh introductions which breed like wildfire and do real damage.

How can you possibly be `annoyed` by people like me who are `annoyed` over the spread of Zander? Explain...

Phoebe, why is it an age thing? Explain...

Secondly you say you can `adapt`. How am I supposed to adapt my roach fishing when the roach have all disappeared? Explain...

Several things need bashing Dave:devilish:
I not annoyed mate as for me Cormorants are a real pain. Today I saw two Cormorants munching through roach and skimmers bigger than my hand. However I think Cormorants are protected? So I guess we have to put up with them? Unfortunately Zander aren't protected and it's the "bash them on the head" attitude that gets me. Having said that I know where you're coming from.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I not annoyed mate as for me Cormorants are a real pain. Today I saw two Cormorants munching through roach and skimmers bigger than my hand. However I think Cormorants are protected? So I guess we have to put up with them? Unfortunately Zander aren't protected and it's the "bash them on the head" attitude that gets me. Having said that I know where you're coming from.
We will agree to disagree over zander, never the twain and all that.

Several years ago I saw a cormorant surface with a carp of around two pounds plus, I was surprised the bird could eat a fish that size
never mind take off shortly afterwards.

I have a fishing magazine from the nineteen thirties and in one of the articles a bailiff complains about cormorants. Yes all that time ago
they were a pain in the arse, at least in the past they were allowed to deal with them.

Silver fan 82

We will agree to disagree over zander, never the twain and all that.

Several years ago I saw a cormorant surface with a carp of around two pounds plus, I was surprised the bird could eat a fish that size
never mind take off shortly afterwards.

I have a fishing magazine from the nineteen thirties and in one of the articles a bailiff complains about cormorants. Yes all that time ago
they were a pain in the arse, at least in the past they were allowed to deal with them.
It's surprising the size of fish that they can swallow. I suppose zander and cormorants are kind of in the same boat really?
The problem is with cormorants and otters is that the non angling public think they are cute and furry.