Zander

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Had a days fishing yesterday on my local when a member of the committee come along. We were talking for about 20 minutes before we got into a chat about predator fishing. The conversation shifted from Pike to Zander when I'd mentioned that I'd had a weird situation a few weeks prior with what I believe to be a Zander, The fella told me if I did catch it immediately knock it on the head. This kind of threw me off guard and my immediate response was 'Why?'

The conversation went something like this;

Me; Yeah I believe theres one in here still. Few weeks ago I was fishing with a couple of fellas watching me at the fence and when I pulled in the roach I had on my line and the elastic started firing off then went slack repeatedly. This happened 2 times I kept pulling the fish out of whatever it was mouth before I eventually left it hoping I'd somehow hook it thinking it was a Pike (They shouldn't be in the Pond, And come from the connected drain). The elastic fired off once more and I struck and had nothing, But the roach surfaced dead and I saw it lunge out of the water once more. I initially thought it was a Pike but it in that moment I thought it was a very big Perch because I saw the spines as clear as day. Upon pulling the roach in the amount of damage done to the roach seemed pretty excessive for a Perch and when xxxx mentioned it might be a Zander I kinda ran with that as an explanation as the colours and size didn't match up with a Perch. The size form there especially.

Him; Well It was netted last? year?
Me; No it was the year before wasn't it?
Him; Yeah and they took out one Zander.
Me; Yeah they told me they did but they couldn't net the entire thing.
Both; Random talk about lillypads preventing the whole thing being netted.
Him; Well if you do catch it, Knock it straight on the head!
Me; Why?
Him; Because it's in the rules. Because they're not native species...
Me; Neither are Carp (Defensive bitch move I'll admit)
Him; Yeah, well I mean some Carp are.
Me; No they're not.
Him; Well Zander are destructive. Unlike Pike they destroy everything and attack fish for fun. They'll eat anything and everything and attack them alive. Pike will mostly scavenge..
Me; :)censored:) Trying not to be argumentative
Me; Well if I catch it I'm not killing it, I'll just put it back in the drain where it come from.
Him; Or give it to xxxx, He loves them!
Me; Haha okay then!
Both; Talks about random stuff.

Whats your opinion on this? I've never caught a Zander but it's definitely on top of my to-catch list. I think they're stunning fish, And so far they've done nothing but evade me! I know they're not native fish and I don't know a massive amount of their behaviour but I feel as though his information on their behaviour and views were kinda skewed. Maybe I'm wrong, Maybe they are as bad as he made out.

Thoughts?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I know its illegal to return them to canals if caught (non native species) but no idea where other waters stand - down to club rules & conscience I guess.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t kill any fish. A zed is on my bucket list also. If the drain is big enough and you think there are enough bait fish in there for it to survive I’d move it if I caught it. It’s only going to be killed if caught in a net by the sounds of things. 😩

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Like any introduced predator - they will have a massive negative impact on some locations, but very little on others.

The horse has well and truly bolted on eradicating Zander in the UK, except perhaps from enclosed stillwaters.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's really weird.... when I caught this one, my hands kinda got all slippery and it just fell back in. Weirder still, same has happened to every one I've caught (not that it is a big number), slippery sods.
Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 19_Fotor2.jpg

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It's really weird.... when I caught this one, my hands kinda got all slippery and it just fell back in. Weirder still, same has happened to every one I've caught (not that it is a big number), slippery sods.
Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 19_Fotor2.jpg
Very nice. Well done. Damn I think I have slippery hands just like you when / if the time comes. 🤣🤣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
From what I’ve read about them if it’s true they probably should be removed but that should be done by clubs and the EA not anglers knocking them on the head, no way I could do that. Feel bad enough getting rid of the occasional crayfish let alone a fish!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
From what I’ve read about them if it’s true they probably should be removed but that should be done by clubs and the EA not anglers knocking them on the head, no way I could do that. Feel bad enough getting rid of the occasional crayfish let alone a fish!
I could quite easily knock a sodding Mitten crab on the scon. It’s been getting silly with them on the tidal Trent this year. I take it you’ve a crayfish problem mate ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I could quite easily knock a sodding Mitten crab on the scon. It’s been getting silly with them on the tidal Trent this year. I take it you’ve a crayfish problem mate ?
They were quite widespread a few years ago but they have become a very occasional capture from just above Oxford downwards in the last 4 or 5 years to the point I only catch a couple a year now on those stretches. Little way upstream of Oxford they are still a handful a session occurrence at times. Quite why they are still prevalent in the upper reaches but all but gone in the middle reaches I have no idea though.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I will deffo Go outta my way next year to Put a Zander on my to catch list.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I will deffo Go outta my way next year to Put a Zander on my to catch list.
You and me both. I’ve been saying this for two or three years now. With me it’s having the confidence knowing that I’m fishing in the right area. Apparently with have quite a few in the Trent but, I’ve never seen one caught. My dad did get a small one out of Smeatons so I’m guessing they are at A1 pits / Winthorpe bridge area. But, you can’t catch em sat at home so, I’ll have to put some effort in next year. 👍

Wise Owl

Account Locked
You and me both. I’ve been saying this for two or three years now. With me it’s having the confidence knowing that I’m fishing in the right area. Apparently with have quite a few in the Trent but, I’ve never seen one caught. My dad did get a small one out of Smeatons so I’m guessing they are at A1 pits / Winthorpe bridge area. But, you can’t catch em sat at home so, I’ll have to put some effort in next year. 👍

My aim really is to Target a Few times Feb March before the Season finishes. Chance of a late Barbel as well.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
years ago they go into the east anglian rivers and it was a given that youhad to whack it on the head dead like

big hoo haas in the angling press about them decimating stocks on the forty foot etc

Ive never seen one, they used to be called pike-perch

squimp

Site Supporter
I really enjoy zander fishing and have caught them in the Severn, warks Avon and at Grafham water. On bait, lures and on flies.

They can be very finicky feeders; on the Severn we fish small baits, braided lines and watch the rod tips for takes. Almost like quivertipping.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I have only caught one, river Ant at Ludham, thought I had caught a record ruffe, mind you would I want to be the ruffe record holder?

At the time club rules meant everything went back and that is what happened.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I have only caught one, river Ant at Ludham, thought I had caught a record ruffe, mind you would I want to be the ruffe record holder?

At the time club rules meant everything went back and that is what happened.

I wonder if The Ruff looked at you and said Oi less of the Ruff :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Watcha wise owl, just reading through the Yorkshire rivers thread, wish we had a couple like them down in Kent.