Status
Not open for further replies.

scouse

'River Man'
taken from another site
just wondered what you thought
about the 17lb being killed
heres what the EA said,
However, the EA says that killing zander is not actually an offence. In fact, they say, it is technically an offence to return them, as they are a non native species.
so if you have a fish in for zander you cant reurn them
dave (scouse)

dave
scouse

mookie

mookie
icon_smile_angry.gificon_smile_angry.gificon_smile_angry.gif Hi Dave jesus whatever next eh ???? they cant do anything bout my local river but they can destroy a fish thats coming on to near 10 years maybe more ....and what a species as well....they are like rockin horse doodahs < very scarce>...but why kill them....what about the pike in trout reservoirs?? why dont they put the zander in there...to do the same job as pike do??...but not killing them .........that would stir the Antis cauldron and get em going again.....and we dont want that do we...

Cheers mate....look forward to meeting ye sometime....

Mook.......B.L.C.F.L campaign...Ban license cheats for life !!!!
And clean banks campaign..... wave.gif

martin.

Account Locked
hi all
i can tell you now that when i organise the zander fish in NO zander will be killed.

tight lines.
martin.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
In my opinion the whole episode was a disgrace, the lads were fishing a river; they caught and killed a good fish and it was publicised with their consent. The EA had a perfectly good excuse to prosecute for fishing on the river in the first place out of season with confessions.... but did they....???
Come to think of it, did they have a rod licence either - just a thought??!!

As for non-native species I won't go down that path but I wasn't aware that there was a 'catch and kill' policy for Zander anywhere.

Sometimes it just makes you wonder,,

Dave

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Martin

Even if we did have to kill the zander i would still put them back & risk the prosecution (unlike some i don't give a toss about a getting a criminal record cos its already there).

I'll try my damndest to make that one mate.

Dave

Thanks for that i,m glad i ain't the only one who thinks like that.

Alan
You've just been moderated

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
In Germany, I paid their licence fee and followed their National staggered close season rules as best I could!
(they dont seem to have told the fish which season they are allowed to be caught)
BUT,
I put EVERY fish back, although there is an ALL species 'catch and kill ' policy here, which to my mind is a similar mentality to the 'Progrom'!!!!
Of course, I believed all my fish were undersize!
If this is ever used in evidence in the future, so be it!

I will not take part in any organised fish 'Kill-in' , whilst I admit to happily taking small fish for deadbait.

Simple heresy perhaps, but to me, for the fish to have struggled through the 'jungle' of the predator food chain and reached a fair (again, my opinion only) size, I feel it deserves the respect of release.
Zander, like other predators, may be edible, but SO are all fish!
(See the Bream on Leicester Fish Market! Factory farmed , but large!)
so I disregard the 'they are tasty, but bony, brigade'
I wont try to ban them from eating their catch! I just don't want to be a part of it.

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

darryl

i used to fish in a club waters with a policy to kill any pike under 4lbs inever killed any and return all pike safely,as for killing zander they would be hard pressed to enforce such a policy as they don`t have enough ball`s to prosicute the twit in the anglers mail for fishing out of season, if and when there is a fishing to catch zander pleas put my name at the top of the list.......darryl

work`s for them who can`t fish

scouse

'River Man'
hi lads
i wonder if this is his excuse for fishing
in the close season.
Strangely, the rod licence does not give the dates of the close season - March 15 to June 15 inclusive
dave(scouse)

dave
scouse

Cyprinid_boy

I know nothing and have no opinion about the said species icon_smile_evil.gif

Do we know if there is a catch and kill policy on catfish, grass carp and ide. Can one of the 'friends of the EA' please find out.

Cyp.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Cyprinid boy
In your post dated 12May re killing of pike you stated
"The E.A. in line with DEFRA have a catch and kill policy on Cats, grass carp and Ide if found in waters without certification".

In the above post you ask if there is a policy and request answers from any one in the E.A.

If as you state you are working within the fisheries industry you must be fully informed of the rules and regulations. More so than the average angler. Plus in the line of your work you must come into regular contact with the E.A.

Therefore how can you make two opposite statements regarding the same questions.

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
John,
Can you not see Mat is making a very valid point on the EA /Defras policy without drawing wrath on his own head!
He doesn't set the rules, but reports them!
Obviously such a catch and kill policy by the Authorities does (unhappily) exist!

Trev

Edited by - Ziptrev on 30 May 2002 12:40:44 AM

Cyprinid_boy

I know what the policies are, however, im shot down in flames when i state the law because you all want to disregard it. Furthermore, i find the policies as ludicrous as any other angler, i have stated that more than once. I was suggesting somebody else finds out from the EA and gives us a direct quote from the horses mouth; this would then come from another source than me. A local water to me holds cats to 45lb and the local EA Fisheries officer has told the anglers they have to kill them when caught. He says this, but is it law and how would you all react if a power happy officer told you this.

quote: If as you state you are working within the fisheries industry you must be fully informed of the rules and regulations. More so than the average angler.

You might think so. Anglers have always known best, forget the rest. Well, they know best until it all goes wrong.
Mat

chill out, go fishing and stop being an arse!

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
http://www.coarsefish.com/EAdisabled.htm

The EA DOES respond to sensible argument and the above link is a reply to my complaint about concessionary licences being unavailable to Disabled Anglers!
If it is against the law to return Zander, or any other Species, why not find out Why? and if they can be Health checked, or anything done about changing their status from illegal stocking etc.
It seems to me that in Martins area, Zander were either legally stocked, or after 30 years are now regarded as indiginous.
Bury Hill Lake the same!
As there are so many reports of Zander catches, they cannot be illegal to return in these areas, or a precedent of ignoring the law, that would lead to a solid defence could be offered.
So we all agree it is wrong.
BUT, to break the law is stupid IF it is shown that you deliberately did so.
To incite others to break the law is equally illegal and stupid!

So as we ALL seem to be in agreement that it is wrong, why NOT do something like asking for clarification, instead of slagging each other off!
NO ONE on here is advocating killing Zander as far as I read, but perhaps I'm getting old!

Trev
PS I am not taking credit for the EA response, as the Admin guy on the other forum contacted them on behalf of one of my posts, BUT it shows they do listen and is a lot more effective than calling each other on here!

Trev

Edited by - Ziptrev on 30 May 2002 07:57:09 AM

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
quote: So as we ALL seem to be in agreement that it is wrong, why NOT do something like asking for clarification, instead of slagging each other off!

Hi everyone,

I have just sent the following email off to the EA so we await their response icon_smile.gifDear Sirs,

I manage a website for the Coarse Angler and at present within a thread in our forums there is some confusion with regards to 'Catch & Kill' Policies relating to Zander, Catfish, Grass Carp and Ide within the UK.

Do such policies exist and if so are they area limited or across all controlled regions?

If they do exist would it be possible for you to expand on them further or send me copies that I can quote from or publish for all to read.

The thread is here: http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/1243 should you wish to reply to it in person or failing that any communications can be made my contact details as supplied.

Regards, Dave Webster
www.maggotdrowning.com

- Dave

Chill out, go fishing and stamp on a licence cheat icon_smile_big.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.