Zander, How Widespread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Talking with someone from oop north yesterday and they told me they didn't think there were any venues in Yorkshire or Scotland that had zander in. Anyone know any different?

codenamemilo

From Zander website:

"As well as in East Anglia, UK Zander can also be found in the Rivers Severn and Warwickshire Avon, in Woburn and Old Bury Hill Lakes, and the Trent and Gloucester Canals. "

Simon R

Site Supporter
They've not got any further north than the Trent as far as I know.

I suppose it's possible that they could spread to the Yorkshire rivers from the Trent via the canals or the Humber but it hasn't happened yet.

Simon

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Non in Scotland and non further North than the Trent and i don't think you'd call them prolific there either

Although in theory you'd think the Northern rivers could support them , there must be a ph imbalance in the water that they don't like as the further north you travel from Middle England the thinner their populations get

Simon R

Site Supporter
I think it's probably more likely that they don't like fast flowing rivers - you never hear of them getting caught in the upper reaches of the Trent or Severn - just lower down where the flow is generally a little more sedate.

The Fenland rivers and drains are normally all slow moving and fairly deep which, presumably, is the type of environment that zander prefer and hence why they've done so well in that region.

Simon

dstev

Dave
I have a marina near me where zander are caught more often than pike. It is on the trent so backs up Simons theory that zander prefer slower moving water.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Thanks.

Given the one I foulhooked recently in a lake in France I would subscribe to the slow/stillwater theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.