Zander fishing in Gloucester canal

Phil Griff

I'm hoping somebody out there can provide us with some guidance on a good day ticket stretch with parking and reasonable access where we can dead bait for Zander as we are useless with lures. Not particularly looking for monsters, although they're a bonus, as we are both looking to catch our first of the species. Any help is greatly appreciated

Phil Griff

Bit of info here.
Thanks Dave, I read this originally and had previously heard stories of a good head of Zander in the Gloucester canal so thought I'd give it a try. Just looking to see if anyone can narrow the search down a bit as it's a big stretch between Hempstead and Perton.
Bit of info here.

squimp

Site Supporter
My knowledge of the Glos canal is limited to a few lure fishing trips. I've caught pike at both The Pilot (a pub) stretch and at the Saul end. No zander.

the top Hempstead end Used to be known for a few very big fish. Also the Lure Anglers Society used to hold fish-Ins up there so there must be smaller ones about. I’ve never fished up that end, partly because I was told that the parking can be iffy.

Talk to the local tackle shops In Gloucester and maybe Lobby’s in Stonehouse.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Found this match report between the Pilot Inn and Hempstead.

adriang

Site Supporter
I've seen a YouTube video where zander were caught from Saul junction. I remember him saying it was very early in the morning, because fishing isn't allowed there nowadays. (used to be an excellent bream hotspot).

Phil Griff

My knowledge of the Glos canal is limited to a few lure fishing trips. I've caught pike at both The Pilot (a pub) stretch and at the Saul end. No zander.

the top Hempstead end Used to be known for a few very big fish. Also the Lure Anglers Society used to hold fish-Ins up there so there must be smaller ones about. I’ve never fished up that end, partly because I was told that the parking can be iffy.

Talk to the local tackle shops In Gloucester and maybe Lobby’s in Stonehouse.
Cheers, I did speak to Lobby's. They are match anglers so not too knowledgeable on predators although one of them noted that a lot of predator anglers target the bend at Hempstead and the other noted best to keep in the coloured water which is between Hempstead and Purton. However if you've fished it a bit down that end with only Pike hitting that tends to point me more toward Hempstead

J. Mac

How did you get on? Dragging this up as I’m planning a couple of hours there tomorrow in hope of my first Zander.