Zander Fishing In Daylight

Angling Joe

I have seen videos of people fishing for them in daylight, is this a doable thing? I thought they were night hunters. Also if it is possible what rigs do you recommend?
And lastly,when fishing for Zander do you have a good chance of getting pike?
Thanks for reading!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Angling Joe

Here you go. Rigs etc. for Zander fishing.

Yes, catching them during the day is certainly do-able. Zander will take Pike baits, so when you get a run you don't know what it is till it gets close.

squimp

Site Supporter
Small coarse fish dead bait or even half a small fish. Wire trace, single size 4treble. Hair rig treble to bait with a short (0.5 - 1 “) hair.

heavy sliding lead to hold bottom.

tight line, sensitive indicator and strike as soon as it moves or better still watch the rod tip like a quiver tip. If you leave the takes to develop, many times the fish will drop the bait. Then you will wind in marked baits - a sure sign that a Z has picked up your bait.

you will get takes from pike.

best alternative is probably a rubber jig, 3 - 5” long and a jig head to suit the flow, depth and casting range required. But be careful of snags on the marginal shelf ! Don’t forget a wire trace.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Best advice I was given came from a very top angler, and it was to think of it as a scaled up perch fishing, rather than scaled down piking

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Consider using single hooks 2s or 4s instead of trebles and half baits are always a good starting point.
Also hair rigging does work but Zander will play with the bait and trebles and hair rigging could prove to be more of a handicap if they are finicky.

Angling Joe

Where abouts are you Angling Joe ? Do you know if your area holds Zander ? Catching your first ? Yes, me and you both pal. Good luck 👍
I live in Nottinghamshire and i plan on fishing a lake that has a stream linking it to the trent. People have caught zander there before, so I know they are in there. hopefully i can catch my first zander.

Consider using single hooks 2s or 4s instead of trebles and half baits are always a good starting point.
Also hair rigging does work but Zander will play with the bait and trebles and hair rigging could prove to be more of a handicap if they are finicky.
Well actually i have made a hair rig with a single size 6 hook, is this to small? On youtube TA fishing has done a zander video and he uses a hair rig with a single so it should work.(I hope)

squimp

Site Supporter
A single will work; my suggestion of a decent sized treble is simply to help with hooking if you do actually strike at knocks on the rod tip.