zander and catfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
Why is it that 'up north', there have been no zander introduced to rivers or lakes, and very few catfish have been introduced?
Is it because zander as seen as foreign, and don't belong hear, i feel its a great shame as i woyuld love to catch the species, but do not get the opportunity as i do not yet own a car.
The percher[}:)]

joe1987

'Darwener'
It isnt that zander havent been introduced(altho they havnt!) they just havnt spread this far yet. The only reason they are evrywhere in the midlands/southern areas are that they got illegaly stocked and escaped and bred(or so is my understanding). Dont no bout moggies, there might be some places up north but very few.

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

carpbob3

Wells Catfish are stocked at the Willows Hessay (York) if thats any help

if your not fishing your not living

joe1987

'Darwener'
c'mon robert, we cant get all the bway to york. Thanks anyway though

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
I've been, fantstic place. Never had a clue theire were catfish theire though

carpbob3

The catfish at Willows are in the smaller pond. Two weeks ago they were sholed up in peg 13. If you need anymore details i have them for the Willows just let me know

if your not fishing your not living

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Its now very hard to get stocking permissions for either Zander or Wels.

To many have escaped & got into the natural water systems so the EA are on a serious no-no when it comes to a section 30 for those two species.
basically you've got to have somewhere where the fish have got no chance of getting into any other waterway.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

TINY

Tiny
The Zander will actively seek out a healthy fish and deplete stocks as quick as a bloo*y cormorant.[:(!]In my opinion,if you havn`t got them,DON`T get them.
Yes they do fight well,and yes they are a magnificent fish but they will make a difference to all of your coarse fishing if they get into your water.[:(]

Andy.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
quote:Originally posted by The percher

ok, i suppose it's a tiotally valid reason, but are they worse than pike?
Smaller and faster so can catch more food but not as large. And like with all the pred species, they will cut down some on the stocks of tiddlers. Of course, in doing so they probably help the others grow larger. Plus, after a while, things balance out pretty well if the water is suitable.

Zander, like pike, will feed on sick/injured fish first and only later turn to healthy ones.

In the end, I guess it depends on your preferences. If you like lots and lots and lots of itty bitty fish, you'll hate having Zander around.

How about getting permission to stock a few musky. That will help keep pike and zander numbers down. :D

Newt Vail

fishing_mad

well there are a few 18lb moggies in hudsons farm but dont know anywere to catch zander

Fishing Mad[:)]

wuffie

Catfish also in Stubbs Hall Lake on the A638 Wakefield to Doncaster road at Hampole.John lets you nightfish and even reserve your peg also big carp to be had for them what wants them!

Status
Not open for further replies.