Youtube Fishing Videos

The Landlord

Site Supporter
These have been a godsend over these two lockdowns & I've found myself watching tons of them. Whether it's "how to" videos, such as elasticating your pole, tying a hooklength whatever.
However, there have also been quite a few instructional ones & some Q&A sessions with Jamie Hughes and Andy May and also Joe Carrass with Des Shipp. I must admit, I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's with Des Shipp because it covered all sorts of fishing such as canals & rivers as well as commercials. The ones by Jamie Hughes & Andy are very commercial biased & whilst they're enjoyable, do you think their tips are transferrable to natural waters such as club ponds?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Some things are definitely transferable and apply to all aspects of fishing.

Just because its a club pond does not mean it fishes any different to a commercial.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Des Shipp answered my canal bread punch question in the Q&A yesterday, didn't learn anything new but was interested in his approach lol made a change from the usual method feeder questions.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Jamie Hughes and Andy May are definitely aimed towards commercial fishing, However I fish my natural clubpond similar to how I'd fish a commercial, I just don't feed nearly as much, And I certainly don't pull in the feeder every few minutes like I would on a commercial. Some aspects certainly don't work as well though, Pole tapping for instance or fish immediately responding to the sound of pellets hitting the water. It doesn't work as well as how it'd work on commercial fisheries stocked with farm bred fish.

Line Clip

Des Shipp answered my canal bread punch question in the Q&A yesterday, didn't learn anything new but was interested in his approach lol made a change from the usual method feeder questions.
I was surprised at the size of the ball of punch crumb he said he used,
If I feed that quantity it kills the peg (suppose it depends on the canal venue) or amount of fish in the peg.

IanG1

Site Supporter
I was surprised at the size of the ball of punch crumb he said he used,
If I feed that quantity it kills the peg (suppose it depends on the canal venue) or amount of fish in the peg.

Yes I wouldn't dare feed that amount in one go on my local venues. I was taught by a very good bread punch angler to drip the feed in with small nuggets when the bites tailed off or the fish got smaller to keep the fish competing. I always feed my first pot quite sloppy as well with some hemp in it.

Line Clip

Fished a match in minus temperatures on the Shropshire Union Canal, we all had blood worm, I was told by a very good punch angler that bread would beat the worm if fed right, I used it almost identical as you state, did not win, but did get in the frame with some prime roach.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Fished a match in minus temperatures on the Shropshire Union Canal, we all had blood worm, I was told by a very good punch angler that bread would beat the worm if fed right, I used it almost identical as you state, did not win, but did get in the frame with some prime roach.
The Shroppy was the only leg of our Winter League where you could use bloodworm (Ellesmere Port stretch). It was only the second time I had ever used bloodworm & joker and I won my section. A guy told me I should have fished caster as well & I'd have caught more. Wish I'd known because I was sitting on a big shoal.