Your opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All

I would like your opinions on whether this is discrimination against myself & others in the same situation.

I have contacted NTL over their charging system & asked how i go about paying for an unmetered package as i haven.t got a credit/debit card & my bank account isn't one where you can pay direct debits from it.

I know its illegal to discriminate against me because i have a criminal record (not proud of it but i don't hide it) i have served time inside for a few things which i won't go into on here but should you wish to know mail me & i will tell you.

Under the rehabilitation of offenders act my time is nearly spent & after that period i no longer have to declare it, the same law also states it is an OFFENCE to discriminate against me due to my criminal record.

Now if its illegal to discriminate against me for that then surley its illegal to discriminate against me for not having a credit/debit card or a bank account which i can use to pay direct debits isn't it??

below is a reply i recieved from the "help" desk of NTLworld.

quote:
Hi

Thanks for your e-mail.

Unfortunately you will not be able to register for a package without a
bank account.

In terms of payment options we have decided to make payments possible
through direct debit or credit/debit card as these are the means that
suit almost all our customers. In the event that you do not have a
credit/debit card, don't worry - we can still offer you our pay as you
go service, which will be included with your telephony bill. pay as
you go leaves you in charge as you pay only for the internet access
you use, paying on a minute by minute basis! All this at the
incredible price of 1p/minute!*

*---- Calls are subject to a 4.9p connection charge

If you work it out i spend on average anything upto 8hrs a day on the net (when i ain't working) this equals 4:80 a day if you multiply that by 31(for the longer months) it equals 128 a month, those of us without the credit/debit cards or DD bank accounts are suffering & paying a whole lot more (one day is nearly the same as a month on the unmetered).

So my question once again is
Are they discriminating against me & others like me??
(edit :just thought i'd better add if the maths are wrong i apologise they never where my strong point)
Alan
You've just been moderated

Edited by - Trogg on 18 March 2002 12:36:10 PM

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
and with ntls disconnection record you will pay 4.9p if your on for 2mins then get disconnected so the cost will be higher. All I can suggest is go to the citizens advice and ask them. Good luck m8

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Good point John i never thought of that.

In fact if you read there terms of agreement you'll see it states that no third party program can be used to stop the disconnection.
It then says that you are not allowed to use a short period mail checking program to keep you system connected.

Alan

MALC

Alan

Got the same problem and also got told over the phone after getting realy ratty with the person on the other end that if i dont like it then don't use the service.

Also tried to sort out to get Broadband with them over a month ago and still not heard a thing.

Malc ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER 001

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Alan,

You'll find that all unmetered accounts require the same, either a credit card or a direct debit to be set up as with most things these days it's to keep their administration costs down, ie not having to send bills out and await payment.

Is it discriminatory (quick get the spell check out icon_smile.gif)? I'd have said Yes to that but they're calling the shots on it.

As to a way around it, I couldn't tell you unless you can find an ISP that offers unlimited access that you could pay up front for say yearly, there must be one.
The risk with this though is if it goes bust and a few have come and gone.
I did hear sometime back that OAL were doing a yearly subscription with their unlimited and matbe it's worth giving them a call. I know they have their knockers but they can't be all that bad. Their number is 0800 3765432.

In support of Ntl, I've just gone onto Broadband and run 2 PC's which are Networked. Ntl do not support networking and when I tried to get the BBand running I had to contact them. Their response "I am sorry Sir (liked that bit icon_smile.gif) but we do not support Networking, however seeing as how you are a customer we'll help you" They then proceeded to spend the next 40 mins with me setting up all the neccessaries.

As for your spell at her Majesty's finest, we didn't discriminate against you when you begged to be a Mod, icon_smile_tongue.gif lol

Dave

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Here's another one to try:

http://www.telewest.co.uk/athome/blueyondersurfunlimited.html

icon_smile.gif Dave

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trogg - forgive if I am thick (or if the rules there vs. here are much different) but why don't you set up an account that offers a debit card? Since that will simply take money from your account when you use the card, there should be no credit issues or anything.

I was in rough financial shape after my divorce a few years ago. Couldn't have gotten a glass of water on credit. No problems getting an account where I was issued a debit card though.

Newt Vail

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thats what i thought newt
BUT according to whoever makes the rules on that kinda stuff over here it would still be a credit risk????

mad ain't it

Alan

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Al ole Pal,
Sorry, but NTL are not discriminating against anyone unless they refuse to accept a system of payment that they advertise as being the way you can pay!
Now , If someone won't offer you a credit card, debit card etc. AND tells you the reason is a Crim R when you have completed the necessary time regarding rehabilitation, Then that may be discrimination.
As a Company owner , I used to sell products and had the legal right to set my own terms of payment!
Even on E-Bay etc, The Seller says what he will and won't accept in payment for his offer.
You can't blame NTL for making sure the Welsh don't pay in Sheep!
Finally, Newt and me must share some kind of past parallel existence lol,

In the early 90's I had a messy divorce and financially was embarrassed to say the least!

Now , after the obligatory 3 years expired, I've got about every card known to man, juggle them for Points, offers, paybacks etc., Never pay a penny interest (My German flight was free courtesy of buying even cigarettes on Barclaycard)
and expect an income of some 50.00 per month by playing their competitive offers.

So, I suggest that you have a crack at getting a card, makes life simpler.

Trev

Ziptrev
I do NOT BELIEVE it

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Alan,
Have you tried Abbey National they issue a debit card,as opposed to a credit card to current account holders.Switched to them myself about 10 years ago after countless hassles with the high street banks over being weekly paid in cash as opposed to monthly straight into an account.They were most helpful at the time and have continued to provide me with great service down the years.

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
i use free serve and im 15 and my mum pays on Giro 10nner a month,,,,

Regards Gf
Roll on the replys!!!!!
angel2.gif

martin.

Account Locked
hi
im on btsurftime 6pm-8am mon-fri
6pm fri -8am mon extra 16-00 a quarter on phone bill
thinking about btanytime depends on boss ?

tight lines.
martin.

martin.

Account Locked
hi
forgot to mention trogg im in same boat mate so your not on your own

tight lines.
martin.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I am still waiting to hear from NTHell about the new pay system. They keep telling me I should have received an E-Mail telling me about it but I haven't yet. If they start charging me pay as you go without contacting me wait for an explosion.

Chin up Alan, who cares about the past, and I couldn't care less why, you're Ok by me m8

thumbsup.gif Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.