Your help please.

ianc21

Good evening gents, I'm looking for some information on the fishing around Pontesbury.
I have a dear old mate who now lives down that way who is in need of a day out fishing. ( his wife has serious health issues and the poor chap needs a day's break ).
I'm travelling from Nottingham to take him out on Friday, any info, help or advice would be welcome.
He is well into his 70's and loves nothing more than chucking a feeder out.

Me,,,,,,,,,,,,,I do a bit of everyting.?

Any advice would be great.
Thanking you in advance
Ianc21

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Ian,

Suggest that you put Pontesbury into Google maps - there are a few fishing tackle shops loacted around the area - phone them tomorrow - they will have up-to-date information hopefully.

Hope your mate enjoys his day.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If my geography is right that’s not far from the Severn around Shrewsbury if he’s in good enough nick for some of the easier banks around there. Day ticket stillwater fisheries are ten a penny around there as well if I recall.

ianc21

Cheers my old mate, hope you're well and staying safe.
He,s an old boy I take over to Ireland and have done for the past 18 years.
His wife has Parkinson's and is very poorly, he's struggling and isn't sure how he's going to cope, I have offered to drive over and give him a day's respite.

Thanks for replying
Regards Ian.

ianc21

Thanks Yuccaman,
I did take a look at. this, but as you can imagine I'm out on a limb here.
all I'm looking for is a good place to take a very dear friend out for a day's respite.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I’m newish to the area and still haven’t tried a lot of the local venues. Spring Lea already mentioned is a good fishery, the pools aren’t that wide so it would only be a gentle lob with a feeder. I haven’t fished it since March, see Spring Lea, Lea Cross, Shropshire for the trip report. New House Farm, Church Stretton, Shropshire is a bigger water more suited to feeder fishing but it has been very busy and a bit noisy recently. It might be worth ringing Total Angling in Shrewsbury to see if they can recommend any good feeder waters. I hope you both have a good day.

Bozie

I like wigmore camping and fishing site at Halfway house between Shrewsbury and Welshpool it is in England 2 pools old brickworks fish from Gudgen to double figure Carp Double maggots float goes down don’t know what it is

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Good evening gents, I'm looking for some information on the fishing around Pontesbury.
I have a dear old mate who now lives down that way who is in need of a day out fishing. ( his wife has serious health issues and the poor chap needs a day's break ).
I'm travelling from Nottingham to take him out on Friday, any info, help or advice would be welcome.
He is well into his 70's and loves nothing more than chucking a feeder out.

Me,,,,,,,,,,,,,I do a bit of everyting.?

Any advice would be great.
Thanking you in advance
Ianc21
I cant help you as l dont live anywhere near but l can say 'good lad' for taking the old chap out? Nice post.

ianc21

Sorry for the delay in replying, gathering "Brownie Points" by catching up on some outstanding home work.
Thanks for the suggested venues, we ended up at a place called Wigmore.
2 lakes, top one was our home for the day, the bottom one is for the big carp and not our cup of tea.
Had a great day catching a few fish, taught my old mate how to fish the pellet feeder and. Catch small carp on a bright pink wafter. He had an amazing time and was glad of a few hours away from the up's and down's of caring for his wife.
Going back later next week as I'm on annual leave and the house jobs are done.

PS
Although it rained most of the day, my old mate cheered us both up by finding a £20 note outside the local chippy.

Bozie

Ian the tactics you were using would be suitable for the “Bottom “ lake with 8lb mainline as long as you aren’t fishing tight to the trees at the far end of the island,not only carp in there some 5lb+ tench aswell,and plenty of silvers.
Glad you enjoyed it.Next week will be ok but after that with campsite open it will get busier.

ianc21

Thanks for the heads up Bozie,
Will give it a bash next Friday, if it keeps the old boy happy, then I'm happy .
Ya never know, we might come across another free £20.