Your Full and Given Name

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
just awondering

do you prefer when being mentioned and or spoken to

prefer to be referred to with you full given name rather than a shortened version of it

EG, Dave for David, Chris for Christopher, Mick for Michael etc ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
just awondering

do you prefer when being mentioned and or spoken to

prefer to be referred to with you full given name rather than a shortened version of it

EG, Dave for David, Chris for Christopher, Mick for Michael etc ?
Rob Bob Robert Robbie or Brummie lol

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I was christened Harry... my Dad was a Henry and it got shortened to Harry, so my Mum decided you can't shorten that... right up till all my mates called me Aitch... god did that pee her off???

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I thought i was being clever when i named my daughters, Cheyenne and B'Lanna....you can't shorten them...till the eldest decides she likes being called Shay instead of Cheyenne and the youngest got so fed up of people not being able to pronounce her name she decided to shorten it to B (Bee) sheeesh

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Call me what you like, you will still be ignored until you call me telling me it is time for a coffee. Only my friends know my nickname.

AdieSWA

I prefer being called Adie (AD) or Ade not Adrian. If I get Adrian then I know I'm either at a medical appointment or my mums about to bollock me for something.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
It seems to be a common thing, especially with English people. That said, a lot of people seem to think it is a form of endearment or being friendly. I always call myself Kevin when introducing myself, but often the reply is ," Hello Kev, pleased to meet you." But it is not only people's names that get shortened, I am thinking X Mas, Spag Bog, and countless other things that get shortened. I think it is part of the English language to shorten words. I'm , that's what's would be the most common.

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
I was christened Robert but I’m always Bob, never anything else unless EID’s playing with the ouija board and is spells out R.O.B.E.R.T. then I know I’m in for a bollocking from ‘the other side!’

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
It seems to be a common thing, especially with English people. That said, a lot of people seem to think it is a form of endearment or being friendly. I always call myself Kevin when introducing myself, but often the reply is ," Hello Kev, pleased to meet you." But it is not only people's names that get shortened, I am thinking X Mas, Spag Bog, and countless other things that get shortened. I think it is part of the English language to shorten words. I'm , that's what's would be the most common.

The use of the term Xmas can be traced back to at least 1755. Earlier variants can be found as far back as 1100. Basically the Greek letters Chi & Rho were used to represent the word Christ.

As for my own name, I am not aware of any shortened version.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If someone calls me David I assume Im in trouble or they're wanting something :D

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
dependant on the circumstances, f****g idiot :LOL: :LOL:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Mines Mark, middle name Charles , when I was younger depending on what group of mates I was with it was either Mark or Charlie, one of my uncles called me Fred and my dad used to call me Bill. It's a wonder I didnt get identity crisis.