Your Favourite Lure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piker

Well heres the question. What is your favourite lure and why?
Well to start the ball rolling mine is the original tasmanian devil because it is light for casting on canals and sends of plenty of vibration for murky water. + u can change its body direction to speed up or slow down its spin. And of course it catches pike[8D]

):)::--Piker--:::)(

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Soft plastic. Worm usually and 7" usually.

Newt Vail, Concord, NC. USA

norm

mine is to say to a woman
get ya coat on youve scored lol

Datafile3.asp

Piker

wot do u use the soft plastic worms for ? (eg wot fish do u catch with them)

):)::--Piker--:::)(

crusty

The best I ever used was a six inch lure, jointed in the middle and painted like a pike.
I bought three, years ago from a shop that was shutting down, but sadly they all eventually fell apart.
They were deadly on the large lakes near where I live, outfishing any other lure by at least three to one.
I've tried similar looking lures since but without the same results.

crusty

Apache

one of the best lures i made was out of an old spoon and painted in marine camouflage colours, the pike seemed to love it.

-------------------------
Tight Lines
Matt
courtone.jpg

Heathlands Angling Club - http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com
Me - http://www.maggotdrowning.com/test/uploads/DataFile.asp?FileID=330

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Worm - mostly largemouth bass with an occasional catfish or nearly any other fish you can think of.

I live too far south for pike. Water is too warm. But up north, the pike guys do well with them too.

Esepcially nice for UK anglers due to cost. Your lures tend to be so expensive that a lure consisting of a weight, hook, and soft plastic item you can buy 10 for 2 or something has appeal.

I like the soft plastics because you can fish them nearly any style and they work. Plus the texture is such that a fish will hold on for a while to give you plenty of time to set the hook. In fact, they guys over here who fish the big money tourneys usually do their pre-fish days without a hook so they can locate fish but not put them off a bite during the tourney. They usually manage to land at least a couple that clamped down on the soft plastic and refused to let go.

And they are made with great scents plus heavy salt to help keep the fish holding on.

TINY

Tiny
Tiger Bulldogs because they have a range of casting weights and diving veins,plus the fact that they are clear and so it looks like a skeletal figure with the two bearings inside that rattle looking like intestines

Andy.
Datafile3.asp

STAFFS ANGLING SUPPLIES

Simon R

Site Supporter
Best lure I've ever used is the Shakespeare Big S in the small and medium sizes.
For some reason the perch-scale pattern seems to be the best.

I bought a set of the soft plastic lures last time I was in the states but I haven't managed to rouse a pike on them yet.

Tight Lines

Simon

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Simon - how are you rigging and fishing the soft plastics? And what size/shape do you have?

Also are the waters pretty open or snaggy?

Simon R

Site Supporter
I'll have to dig them out Newt and have a look at what I've got (to be honest they've been stuck in the back of a cupboard for the last 18 months or so)

I'm sure some of them are 'crawfish' (or something similar), basically there's a number of weighted hooks (with the weight at the eye end) and then various different plastic 'bodies' that slip over the top.

After using them from the bank, I rather got the impression that to impart a decent action in them they'd be better fished from a boat (so you were working them up and down, rather than just reeling them in)

Tight Lines

Simon

The Witness

Piker,
Two lures spring to mind.
1)Northland Reedrunner--excellent vibration and flash through the water.Brilliant spinner has caught me many pike.
2)Halco Sorcerer--brilliant Ausie lure with incredible shimmy action has caught my biggest lure caught pike.
Cheers,
Richard. beer-toast1.gif

toastman

piker

my best lure is that a frogfor pike of corse which is really good i got it from http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/jwpsoftbaits
it is brilliant and well priced

toastman

l.neill

Flying Fish

I have a large collection of ABU lures, my favorite is the Hogbomm Spin in green colour. Looks great, not sure about catching fish with `em though !! Favorite plug-type lure is the Cello Deep in Red/White (late 1960`s model) From my collecting experience, there seem to be more PIKE coloured Hi-Lo plugs sold than any other colour, maybe there is a secret about the colour being the best, like the BIG S colour in the above post.

JM2pW. F.F. <'}}}><

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
SimonR - sorry. Lost track of this thread for a bit.

Boat not needed. Shore should work fine. My guess is you've had lots of takes but just never noticed them. Fish sucks up the bait, mouths it a moment, and spits it back out. The only indication you'd have is either a twitch of the line (maybe a short sidewise movement) or maybe if you had the lure up in the water with a twitch, it'd take a little too long to reach bottom again.

This is one application where a multiplier and braid will work best. You hold the line in front of the reel between thumb and forefinger lightly while reeling in. Easy to feel very gentle taps you'd otherwise miss.

Most days you'll easily get double or triple or more the number of takes on soft plastic than on any hard lure. But very easy to not notice any of them. Certainly happened to me enough when I first started using them.

Datafile3.asp

norm

newt
i have a load of lures i got off ziptrev
i still not got one fish on them them yet

never mind one day they may work

Datafile3.asp

Lid

I don't do much lure fishing, but my favourite's gotta be a 'flying c'. I caught two salmon on my first trip (of two) using one with my Uncle and cousin, who now farm in Perthshire. No-one else caught and from what I understand they were also the first fish tan from the stretch that season.

Lid [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.