Your favourite fishing brand, And why?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tbh I don't have a favourite brand as such, I like the MAP EVA range of luggage, plus their keepnets, and their support has been great, Nick Gilbert for floats and elastic, Greys, Chub and dare I say it 'Cadence' for rods, ;) , Daiwa & Shimano for reels, had/got two Maver poles, goes without saying RIVE for seatboxes, basically I buy what suits my needs.

If I had to pick a brand I didn't like, well that's another matter lol - Matrix, and purely based upon their relentless need to put their brand name and logo on every available surface, nothing else :)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I don't have a favourite. I'll buy the best I can find, regardless of the brand. Who sponsors who plays no part in any decision. Whatever the discipline, I don't know who the vast majority of sponsored anglers are.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I buy what suits the purpose I have for an item of kit no real loyalty to any brand. I think I have kit from just about every manufacturer, I don't need to have matching kit, luggage etc. However if someone said you could only buy from one manufacturer I think it would have to be Daiwa as they cover most items and it is usually good quality. I use a lot of drennan terminal tackle and the nets, luggage etc are good quality I just could not live with having to use Drennan reels.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I'm not fussed, though I do like MAP reels.Talking of MAP, when did it change from Midland to match ?

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Shakespeare and garbolino for rods and Spro for reels. I also like Guru and Maver for hooks.
Otherwise, whatever I fancy, from anyone who sells it.

Silver fan 82

Can't pick one brand but Drennan, Korum and Middy are brands I've used / own and all seem good quality and they do the job.
Nash for speci carp fishing and luggage and Sonubaits for groundbait and pellets.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Bit of a mixed bag for me too. Rod wise I've Browning, Drennan, Daiwa, Preston, and Shimano. The Preston and Browning Rods are the more recent additions. Had a lot of fun with Drennan's red range, one of which I still have and still fishes well.

Reelwise I am using more Browning now particularly for feeder work, but I still use my Shimano and Daiwa reels which, for me, were my go to reels for years

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Nash for my Carp Gear and Korum for the rest... shimano reels... nowadays a lot of the gear I use you'd have never heard of let alone seen or used :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

TimFB

I don’t have a favourite manufacturer, but when I find something I like, I tend to stick with it for years. For example, John Roberts ledger beads are still in my box and get regularly used for carrying feeders and leads as needed.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
For coarse fishing drennan without doubt. They do good everything can fully kit yourself with one brand if you wanted to and not have to compromise on much. Can’t get full set ups from them but for Multi discipline shimano or daiwa.

stikflote

Site Supporter
No firm favourite, ive had Daiwa rods, Sonic rods, tricots rods aMiddy Carbon live ,
reels by Daiwa Spro. Shimano Mitchel
Pole are Map Tricast and Trabbuco box is Matrix.

I Also have two Avanti Meteor reels which i do like and used for last 3 t 4 years , they are excellent,
on the rotor they have a brush both sides which clean the real if covered in ground bait,
Cost £18 ,they as smooth as a baby bum:):):)

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Drennan have an advantage in that they manufacture most of the plastic accessories and floats themselves not rods reels luggage nets which are bought in from the Far East like the hooks and lines mostly so its pretty rare for a Drennan product to fail in normal use.
All of the big brands have upped their game in the last ten years and most have sorted any problems with suppliers or moved to better suppliers as quality control has become much more important but history remains like every Maver pole breaks as soon as the wind blows from the wrong direction or every Daiwa number 4 section is dodgy all in the distant past now but the memories remain.
We are very lucky today to have a huge choice of quality tackle from a varied range of premier brands but people still reminisce and use 20 year+ old tackle as they prefer it. I take a lot of persuasion to convert from my old favourites and I am in the fortunate position of being able to get any tackle on the market but I do see lots of cheap junk being sold which will have no useful service life and is generally poor performance but it sells because people like "cheap" a lot of it is obvious copies of more engineered product but once you outsource your manufacture to The Far East this is one of the consequences.
My personal tackle is quite varied and represents many manufacturers but each part is what I consider will do the best job for me and not fall apart doing it.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
If I had to pick a favourite brand it would be Normark, absolutely fantastic rods, still ahead of much available nowadays. Apart from that I own, as many have already said, tackle from a range of manufacturers, as no one brand has the best of everything.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
There are actually not bad cheap rods about, Stillwater Shuriken pellet waggler is a fantastic rod for the princely sum of £12.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Drennan for rods and Shimano for reels. I do have a couple of old Daiwa 11'4'' bream rods which sadly don't see the light of day much anymore.