Your biggest foul hooked fish?

solwood

Site Supporter
How do you know is foul hooked and a hook transfer, as far as I an concerned if I cast it out, strike a bite, play it, land it , it counts. Dont care what anyone else thinks

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Where do people stand on hook ups that just miss the mouth say under the chin or in the cheek ? Like those that you’d imagine they were trying to eat it just the strike missed the target. I don’t think I’d count them for a PB because of the element of doubt but I don’t really think of them as true foul hookers given the proximity to the mouth. Happens a lot with lure fishing for example but can with baits as well.

RMNDIL

Nothing of note I can think of. But practising for a WL my companion landed a 20lb (ish) pike and when landed discovered that it wasn't hooked at all but the hooklength had literally gone around behind it's head and hook attached back onto it again - literally lassoed it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Don't think I've ever lassoed a fish but have caught them without hooking them! One time in Florida we had a pack of tiny blacktips of all of about a pound (must have literally been born that week!) in the chum slick and they literally just lockjawed and snagged onto cut baits with such determination that you could swing them despite them not being hooked! We had to move as you'd put them back and they'd just have another go!

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I've only foul hooked three fish. All small carp. One I count as I saw it hooked in the mouth and I saw the hook slip out at the net and hook into the gill cover. The fish then had another bid for freedom before finally coming back to be netted. I consider hooking it in the mouth first counts. The other two were definitely foul hooked, including one hooked neatly in it's asshole.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
There is a school of thought that foul hookers shouldn't count in a match. This is something I have never subscribed to. I wouldn't deliberately foul hook a fish but if I catch one accidentally it goes in the weigh sling along with all the others. I was once beaten into second place by a lad that, by his own admission, foul hooked a 2lb skimmer in the last minute. He beat me by less than a pound. It would not have entered my head to query the legality of the win.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
The only time I can recall issues regarding whether foul hooked fish should count was in the matches on the first commercials. There were rumours that certain anglers were deliberately foul hooking fish by going well overdepth against the islands and using big hooks, particularly in the early spring when the fish hadn't really woken up.

On natural venues where anglers are wider spaced and some are out of sight (eg on a river) how would anyone know if a foul hooked fish had been returned or not ? FWIW I can't recall foul hooking anything of note in 40 years of fishing matches on rivers, canals etc.

Many years ago I did once lose a huge bream accidentally hooked in the tail on my light rig when fishing a Super League at Hallcroft though. If I had got it in I don't think my captain would have thanked me for putting it straight back !

Wily Coyote

Site Supporter
A few years ago fishing a match foul hooked something with 10 minutes to go, couldn't believe the amount the elastic stretched as it headed for all parts distant, took 20 minutes to land to find it was hooked in the anal fin - 23lb 8oz

The Runner

Site Supporter
Had one 19-12 hooked in the anal fin at Rolfs on a 12 elastic (when that was the heaviest you could use there) ,couldn't do a thing with it, took me about 45 minutes to get out
Rolf was sat behind me for a while and I was heading for a yellow card for taking too long but then he saw it coming in to the net sideways on and backwards and wandered off with a "carry on, chap"...

Next match I fished there, someone had managed to lose a 13 pounder when their elastic went at the bung, and I somehow managed to hook what was left of the loop knot, thus ending up playing it on two lots of elastic. Think I ended up landing it on a top 5.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
i genuinely can’t believe those who say they haven’t foul hooked a fish!! Do you never strike?

I think I wouldn’t count them as a PB, but they go in the net whilst match fishing (I trust that other competitors are not casting across basking fish either). Of course it gets borderline when the hookup is adjacent to the mouth (which they often are) ... but my self imposed rule Hasn’t, so far, been tested.

biggest that I’ve landed would be a 10.2 barbel hooked firmly in the pectoral fin a couple of years ago, although 35 years ago I had a bigger one on for over an hour that was hooked in the dorsal fin area. I could get it to the surface out beyond netting range, but not a hope within net range on my rather underpowered swing tip rod.

BarryS

Gone fishing
My biggest foul hooking was in fact a beaver in Alaska. Evidently, I still hold the record for beaver caught on the fly on that river :)

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have not foul hooked many fish especially recently though I did hook a carp of about 5lbs in the dorsal fin last year, the only other one of note was a pike around 8lbs about 20 years ago on the Tees hooked in the tail, it fought scalded cat in fairly fast flowing current. Does a pike taking a smaller fish as you reel in count as foul hooked ? if so my best was a 15lb pike that took a small roach as I was reeling in, I think I had it in the landing net before it realised anything was a miss

L33

Probably going to go against the grain here and say I don't see an issue with counting foul hooked fish. You've hooked it and you landed it end of story for me.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Foul hooked a mullet while fishing on canal at grimsby years ago got it to the surface before hook pulled out still never caught a mullet since

PJG

The following happened in the early '90s on a 12 acre pit in the Colne Valley:

I was fishing for carp using popup boilies, had a run and foul hooked a carp, 45 minutes later it was landed and weighed and witnessed at 38lbs. I sorted my self out and started to fish again float fishing in the edge with 10lb line for carp. Less than an hour later the float went under and I hooked another big carp. The carp shot down the bank under some over having trees, I shouted to the carp angler in the next swim not to strike as a carp was heading his way! Because of the over hanging trees I waded in the lake and tried to sink the line under the trees, I dipped the rod under and the tip hit the gravel bottom and cut the line! Blast or similar words! I waded out soaking wet and someone run up to me saying that my carp had been landed by the next carp angler, my line and float had got caught in his line and he had managed to hand line it in!!! I walked up the bank and said where is the carp? Still the net - it was weighed and went 42lbs!!! I had foulhooked it!!! Any way, I continued to fish that lake and eventually caught them both properly at lesser weights of 36lbs 6ozs and 40lbs 12ozs.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Probably the carp that I caught at Waterside (Ingoldmells) a couple of years ago -11lb 8oz mirror hooked in the anal fin - had a hell of a job trying to land it.

Image00017.jpg Image00018.jpg
Image00019.jpg

Also foul-hooked a Ghostie of a similar size on the aptly named Ghost Lake at Brafferton about twelve years ago.

Hooked a fish first chuck (fairly) and after a lengthy battle I landed it (10lb or so) - hook fell out in the net so I just tossed the rig in the direction of the lake and laid the top kit on the spray bar. I'd just transferred the fish to my keepnet when the top kit started moving lakewards - I just caught it in time. Somehow the fish had managed to hook itself in the dorsal fin just by swimming past.

Took an age to land it - it was a similar weight to the first I'd caught but back in those pre-puller kit days the advice regarding landing oversized carp was to keep the pole over their head with plenty of tension and let them swim round in circles tiring themselves out in the process. Probably 15 minutes later I got it to within netting range and usually giving them a gob-full of air would see them surrender - however being hooked in the dorsal fin I couldn't get it's head up and just had to guess where it was - second attempt it was in the net. 20lb+ landed after 30 minutes and I still didn't win 😝

Simon