Your biggest foul hooked fish?

WickerDave

Site Supporter
What is the biggest or best fish you have foul hooked, and if it was a species personal best would you count it?

Mine is a 19.12 mirror carp that was foul hooked in the middle of the flank when float fishing. Fortunately it was a lightly scaled fish and the hook was in the flesh not a scale, so it was eventually landed. I probably would count one as a personal best.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Probably not my biggest but my only canal Chub I've caught was foul hooked in the pec much to my dismay, it was about 2.5lb and I still reluctantly count it as a canal Chub PB.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Have to ask - why claim it at all,as you are only fooling yourself.
Might as well cast across fish and drag the hook into them

Edit: Why do you have to state your "holier than thou" opinion on damn near everything, im sure the majority of fish that get foul hooked are not hooked intentionally by any of us, the OP was merely asking a question, there is no need to try and derogate him or any other about it

much more of it and you will be taking a holiday

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Probably not very big, pretty hard to get foul hooked fish in on the gear I mostly use! I’d imagine it was maybe an upper single carp.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
A decent sailfish in very heavy currents in the Mussandam. I don't count it as a PB, and I still wouldn't even if it had been hooked fairly in the mouth. It was caught while trolling and the skipper set the hook. I just reeled it in. Eventually 😓

No wonder this was tricky!.jpg

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Stunning fish though aren't they.
One of the lads on a boat I was on off Acapulco had a 90lb fish that fought for over an hour and left the water six times.
I declined my turn after hook up as four hours of violent sea sickness had taken it's toll.
Day after our trip the same boat in the same area had three Marlin over 600lb o_Oo_O

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I seem to remember catching a foul hooked barbel many years ago that would have been a PB. I didn't and wouldn't count it as a PB.
Whilst I can understand the change, I'm not comfortable with foul hooked fish being counted in matches. It means that the chances of me ever match fishing again are significantly less.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Year before last, I landed a barbel on a local lake....only about 3lbs but it was hooked through the whisker. Wondered why it took so long to land!

Silver fan 82

I personally don't count foul hooked fish. Biggest? Not sure maybe carp of around 5lb ish.
On the subject have a watch of this...

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
What is the biggest or best fish you have foul hooked, and if it was a species personal best would you count it?

Mine is a 19.12 mirror carp that was foul hooked in the middle of the flank when float fishing. Fortunately it was a lightly scaled fish and the hook was in the flesh not a scale, so it was eventually landed. I probably would count one as a personal best.
16lb ish carp in the tail ,what a fight lol

Silver fan 82

Fantastic fish but totally deluded character
Imagine catching something legitimately and not finding your name in the record books because a clown like this classes foul hooking as being a viable means of fishing.
Exactly. I mean what a fish but its foul hooked. If that were me I'd be gutted TBH! Part of me would like to count it as legitimate but I just couldn't I don't think.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Only time, apart from a Catfish that I never saw, I’ve locked a rod up was on a foul hooked Barbel on the Wye. I honestly thought it was snagged as I couldn’t make any line on it whatsoever for a minute or two. When landed it wasn’t even that big. My biggest foul hooked fish was probably a Carp of 12lb in a match. Not a personal best and not a matchwinning fish. I don’t have a pb, yet, that was foulhooked but I don’t think I’d count it if it happened to me.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I've never actually foul hooked a fish (not that I've landed anyway, so who knows?)

Closest I've come was landing a 5lb mirror by getting tangled in the tackle that was left behind by someone else's crack off. Was a pole float, shot, line etc.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fishing at Rolfs in a match, I hooked a 15lb carp in the tail, when I only weighed in about 30 lb other guys were surprised they thought I had been catching well for nearly an hour. No, same fish for all that time, it did not want to give up and it really disturbed my peg. Forget what elastic I was using but it was not my strongest.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
16lb ish carp in the tail ,what a fight lol
🤣🤣. Me too. Exactly the same from a farm pond at Thorney, Lincolnshire. On the same day a young lad across the pond broke on a carp. 30 minutes later my float dips, I strike and I’m into a decent fish. 5 minutes later I’m putting my landing net under a 6lb carp which was trailing the young lads terminal gear. I’d only gone and hooked his loop to loop. I should have put the lottery on that day. 🤷‍♂️🤣🤣

Swim Jim

Formerly: jjpendurocomp
Site Supporter
Almost an estimated 4lb plus Perch from a lake on Anglesey.

It was hooked on its underside and shed the hook as it was coming to the net. I was amazed at the size of it, probably the biggest perch I’d seen upto then was about a pound. Definately wouldn’t of counted it if landed, I was just in awe of seeing such a fantastic fish.

Freesolo82

I foul hooked a 15lb pike in the depths of winter on very light gear 0.08 bottom size 19 128 hook and number 4 elastic. I never got it in the net though I played it for ages but even with 13m of pole in the air and the elastic bottomed out I could not net it as it was out of reach, had to cut the line in the end.