Young driver Insurance

Philocalist

Best advice I can give, from experience is do NOT rely on getting the best price from the various websites such as GoCompare or the bloody Meercats.
At best, they troll across a large number of insurance companies BUT many, many insurance companies - particularly the better ones, will be omitted from the results.
've just renewed my car insurance today. As with previous years, I put a quick quote request through Moneysupermarket, Comparethemarket and a couple of others. They typically returned similar results over a very wide range, with the most expensive being FOUR times the cheapest, for the same cover! .... but it serves to give you a target to beat.
Then it gets tedious - get directly onto the sites that are often omitted from the website spiders - Liverpool, Co-op and Marks and Spencer all come to mind - I can virtually guarantee you'll find a much cheaper quote somewhere, problem being that it quickly gets a bit boring having to complete the same details, time after time on each site.
Best result I've had, consistently and by a considerable margin, for the last three years has been the Co-op

Also, whatever you do, don't ask for a quote for insurance that starts 'tomorrow', or within the next 24 - 72 hours, unless you absolutely must - it WILL be substantially more expensive than the same cover from the same company, starting say, a week hence - again, from experience.

neil fallows

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Try Tesco with a black box fitted
My son uses them and very good. He wrote his first car off and got more than he paid for it. On renewal after the accident it went down. Also put you as another driver.
Good luck

me

Ive just re applied for a quote with Money Supermarket not going through young drivers. After you put in his age every quote came back with a black box fitted. Your were not Even given the option to remove it.

ive just asked my daughter how she did it on comparison sites with out a black box and she said she just entered all her details as normal and the site chooses the cheapest to the dearest and hes came up with churchill with no black box as her cheapest . One of her mates as just done it and every one came up with black box same with her boyfreind , so it seems its just which ever quote they offer

danny_glover09

Site Supporter
I'm 28 and just passed my test. Not bought a car yet but any quotes I get for small cars and vans are around £2700. Bloody expensive.

rudd

Site Supporter
Jesus, you lot need to research and shop around!
We bought a 62 plate 1 litre 3 cylinder corsa for my daughter to learn in then drive.
£800 a year fully comp, 8000 miles, black box and drive well points - on drive parking.
By not driving at night, nkt fast round corners, slow acceleration etc etc monitored by black box she got points to keep insurance low. If terms broken insurance goes up.
To the car - paying more for a better more modern car reduces insurance ? Its a no brainer!
Try for a one litre, no turbos etc, pay more for newer car, lower insurance and better resale price as new drivers need these cars and not many around!
Buying an old run around for new drivers to keep insurance down is a myth - old cars cost more to fix and have less safety features.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Can’t remember who my son Used first time but they were decent. Around £1900 with black box but he got rewards for good driving. Ended up getting £400 back over 12mth. He went elsewhere after that and didn’t need the black box. It was also cheaper to add his mum not me, apparently they like female drivers.

Zerkalo

Back when I passed 18 years ago I did a pass plus course and that took some off but I don't think it has the same effect anymore.