You can take her fishing but you can't teach her to fish!

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
A tale of woe and missed opportunities for Mrs. Munch yesterday and all could be saved but for the need of actually listening.
We headed up to None Go By Farm yesterday, after meeting the new owner of Mrs Munch's Guru box "Mike Atkinson".
Mrs. M had bought the new Preston Innovations feeder chair after a trip to Bobco along with a new Drennan bib n brace set and she was looking forward to getting out to try them both. Arriving at about 7.30 AM we set about getting ready, Mrs. M confident that she could set herself up so I set about setting up my waggler rig. A new reel had arrived to go on the Miggy G5 I bought, a matching Middy GFD300.
The lake was almost perfect, flat calm with a little steam rising where the sun was heating the surface, very nice indeed. I left Mrs. M to it as she said she was happy to do it herself.
As there was very little in the way of breeze or any undertow I used a very light unweighted insert peacock waggler, a couple of No 4 bulk and a tell tale No4 some 5 inches from the hair rigged hook. I was chasing the better stamp of fish and decided to ignore maggot and small fish instead focussing on the larger roach, F1 and carp.
Mrs. M was maggot over a bed of hemp. I noticed she had put a loaded Visi Wag, a non insert version as soon as she cast in for the 1st time and it made a sploosh that sent the cruising carp shooting away for cover... Why have you put that float on darling? Because I like it was the reply...
Rather than go down the route of trying to explain the conditions we were fishing and that perhaps a lighter more sensitive float would be the more appropriate I just shut my gob and got on with fishing.
She was actually doing ok considering, we were neck and neck fish count wise to start, her on maggot and me on corn. Mine were larger and I was stunned when not one but two trout came to the net having fallen for hair rigged sweetcorn on the bottom!! Very bizarre!!
I could see the float she was using and I noticed that there was a good inch and a half of it sticking up out of the surface, I asked why she had it like that and was told simply " I like it like that", once again I said nothing more...
Then she said " I'm getting a load of bites but I can't hit them" She then wandered over to get the coffee out and grab a sandwich. If you will listen I said calmly then I will explain why that is I said, you need to dot the flo.... She stomped off back to her seat. Rather than listening and taking advice she would for some reason rather knowingly be doing it wrong. Is it because I was saying it? I dunno???
What I wanted to explain was that the float was far too heavy for the conditions, it was badly shot and by the time a bite registers the fish has felt the resistance of the oversized and under shot float and spat the maggot out. Dead simple.
As if to emphasise this I said I'm setting up my other rod and going on maggot for a while too, just to show you how it should be done. Fish after fish followed...
All you need to do is dot the float down. No reply, ok fine,
After a while I wandered over with a bottle of pop and some peperami sticks for her much on. I noticed her float was at about 2 feet of depth, why are you fishing so shallow? Cos you told be to bring the float down she replied.... No I said, I never said bring your float down I said dot it down and if you would have let me explain then you would understand... Silence... Right, I'll cast mine back in you fish it and i'll sort this out. Whilst re plumbing she actually caught a nice little carp on my setup. Excellent I thought, she will be happy now..
I set her up and asked which marker she was using for distance, tip of the trees was the answer, righto, plumbed up, dotted the float down and done. All sorted love..
Back at her seat she cast in and then threw some free offerings in... One other thing that struck me was she was fishing at say 15 feet but all the free offerings were falling way short,,, Oh for the love of god!!!!! Why are you fishing out there but feeding miles away from your float? Because I cant throw it that far was the reply... You have a catapult I said, I cant use it properly was the reply! In this situation what would you guys do? Continue feeding short or bring you float to where you can feed? She had been catching mid water, not much but catching occasionally. I didn't have the heart to tell her the vast majority of fish would be on the bottom dining out on the banquet she had thrown in whilst she fished miles away from it.
So, next time out I am going back to stage number 1. I really want her to do well and beat me but until she listens that is never going to happen.

She loves the new chair, not one jot of back ache or bum ache and the Drennan Bib n Brace was a really good fit and kept her dry. All good on that front. We just need to go back to lesson number one, forget anything you think you might know and listen to the instructor....

Munchy

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Say things like, I have just put some extra weight on and sunk my float a bit lower and I am getting loads of bites now.

The fish are very finnicky in here, I'm having to make sure that all of my feed goes round my float.

By talking about things in a way that implies you have just discovered them stops it sounding like you knew better than her all along. Make sure each trip sounds like a voyage of mutual discovery

JayBee

Site Supporter
A tale of woe and missed opportunities for Mrs. Munch yesterday and all could be saved but for the need of actually listening.
We headed up to None Go By Farm yesterday, after meeting the new owner of Mrs Munch's Guru box "Mike Atkinson".
Mrs. M had bought the new Preston Innovations feeder chair after a trip to Bobco along with a new Drennan bib n brace set and she was looking forward to getting out to try them both. Arriving at about 7.30 AM we set about getting ready, Mrs. M confident that she could set herself up so I set about setting up my waggler rig. A new reel had arrived to go on the Miggy G5 I bought, a matching Middy GFD300.
The lake was almost perfect, flat calm with a little steam rising where the sun was heating the surface, very nice indeed. I left Mrs. M to it as she said she was happy to do it herself.
As there was very little in the way of breeze or any undertow I used a very light unweighted insert peacock waggler, a couple of No 4 bulk and a tell tale No4 some 5 inches from the hair rigged hook. I was chasing the better stamp of fish and decided to ignore maggot and small fish instead focussing on the larger roach, F1 and carp.
Mrs. M was maggot over a bed of hemp. I noticed she had put a loaded Visi Wag, a non insert version as soon as she cast in for the 1st time and it made a sploosh that sent the cruising carp shooting away for cover... Why have you put that float on darling? Because I like it was the reply...
Rather than go down the route of trying to explain the conditions we were fishing and that perhaps a lighter more sensitive float would be the more appropriate I just shut my gob and got on with fishing.
She was actually doing ok considering, we were neck and neck fish count wise to start, her on maggot and me on corn. Mine were larger and I was stunned when not one but two trout came to the net having fallen for hair rigged sweetcorn on the bottom!! Very bizarre!!
I could see the float she was using and I noticed that there was a good inch and a half of it sticking up out of the surface, I asked why she had it like that and was told simply " I like it like that", once again I said nothing more...
Then she said " I'm getting a load of bites but I can't hit them" She then wandered over to get the coffee out and grab a sandwich. If you will listen I said calmly then I will explain why that is I said, you need to dot the flo.... She stomped off back to her seat. Rather than listening and taking advice she would for some reason rather knowingly be doing it wrong. Is it because I was saying it? I dunno???
What I wanted to explain was that the float was far too heavy for the conditions, it was badly shot and by the time a bite registers the fish has felt the resistance of the oversized and under shot float and spat the maggot out. Dead simple.
As if to emphasise this I said I'm setting up my other rod and going on maggot for a while too, just to show you how it should be done. Fish after fish followed...
All you need to do is dot the float down. No reply, ok fine,
After a while I wandered over with a bottle of pop and some peperami sticks for her much on. I noticed her float was at about 2 feet of depth, why are you fishing so shallow? Cos you told be to bring the float down she replied.... No I said, I never said bring your float down I said dot it down and if you would have let me explain then you would understand... Silence... Right, I'll cast mine back in you fish it and i'll sort this out. Whilst re plumbing she actually caught a nice little carp on my setup. Excellent I thought, she will be happy now..
I set her up and asked which marker she was using for distance, tip of the trees was the answer, righto, plumbed up, dotted the float down and done. All sorted love..
Back at her seat she cast in and then threw some free offerings in... One other thing that struck me was she was fishing at say 15 feet but all the free offerings were falling way short,,, Oh for the love of god!!!!! Why are you fishing out there but feeding miles away from your float? Because I cant throw it that far was the reply... You have a catapult I said, I cant use it properly was the reply! In this situation what would you guys do? Continue feeding short or bring you float to where you can feed? She had been catching mid water, not much but catching occasionally. I didn't have the heart to tell her the vast majority of fish would be on the bottom dining out on the banquet she had thrown in whilst she fished miles away from it.
So, next time out I am going back to stage number 1. I really want her to do well and beat me but until she listens that is never going to happen.

She loves the new chair, not one jot of back ache or bum ache and the Drennan Bib n Brace was a really good fit and kept her dry. All good on that front. We just need to go back to lesson number one, forget anything you think you might know and listen to the instructor....

Munchy
If your fishing trips continue in the same vein, this potion might be needed shortly.

1618823285262.png

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
The thing is, I really and truly love her and our fishing trips together. She works damn hard too bloody hard and the days off for her are precious. I am not being derogatory, I am just stating facts and you can't really argue with facts. Well you can, but then you are just an idiot... Right at the very beginning, our first trip she knew nothing and really did do very well indeed. This was at the back end of last year and we only managed 4 trips out till the Drowners match last month. One thing I have always said is "Slow down" the cast, less effort, if you hear the rod swooshing you are trying too hard! After the umpteenth time of saying this I was offered a smack in the face if I said it again :oops:. Mrs. M said she will work it out herself as this is how she learns... Ok then I shall leave you to it. Fair comment and fair enough response. The issue is and I said this right from the very start that if you persist with the wrong technique then you will continue with it as it soon becomes muscle memory. No disrespect but I can cast her rig with a underarm flick just as far and with more accuracy than her swooshing overhead cast. Lets assume that on every trip, 200 casts are made, 6 trips out would make 1200 casts made with no improvement. I think we are now beyond working it out and it is time to back to basics and start again. The underarm cast, point blank refuses to try to learn it, no idea why but there you go. Its a fantastic tool to have in your arsenal, flicking a bunch of maggots out on a light float to cruising fish can reap huge rewards, not to mention bank side vegetation that can hamper a traditional overhead cast.
I am aware that this is just a pastime and that if she is happy then leave her to it but surely you would be happier having to put less effort in for greater rewards?
Munchy

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
O.K, first things first. She is a woman ! In her idea of casting it is always done overhead, in fact most non anglers think the same ! Now you are trying to teach her an underarm cast, which is like telling her she can't cast at all. Maybe try get a video of a well known expert doing an underarm cast, instead of you telling her to try it.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
O.K, first things first. She is a woman ! In her idea of casting it is always done overhead, in fact most non anglers think the same ! Now you are trying to teach her an underarm cast, which is like telling her she can't cast at all. Maybe try get a video of a well known expert doing an underarm cast, instead of you telling her to try it.
Suggest an edit Kevin, it should not make any difference what sex someone is mate. Fishing is one sport where just about everyone can be equal.

chris1967

Site Supporter
The thing is, I really and truly love her and our fishing trips together. She works damn hard too bloody hard and the days off for her are precious. I am not being derogatory, I am just stating facts and you can't really argue with facts. Well you can, but then you are just an idiot... Right at the very beginning, our first trip she knew nothing and really did do very well indeed. This was at the back end of last year and we only managed 4 trips out till the Drowners match last month. One thing I have always said is "Slow down" the cast, less effort, if you hear the rod swooshing you are trying too hard! After the umpteenth time of saying this I was offered a smack in the face if I said it again :oops:. Mrs. M said she will work it out herself as this is how she learns... Ok then I shall leave you to it. Fair comment and fair enough response. The issue is and I said this right from the very start that if you persist with the wrong technique then you will continue with it as it soon becomes muscle memory. No disrespect but I can cast her rig with a underarm flick just as far and with more accuracy than her swooshing overhead cast. Lets assume that on every trip, 200 casts are made, 6 trips out would make 1200 casts made with no improvement. I think we are now beyond working it out and it is time to back to basics and start again. The underarm cast, point blank refuses to try to learn it, no idea why but there you go. Its a fantastic tool to have in your arsenal, flicking a bunch of maggots out on a light float to cruising fish can reap huge rewards, not to mention bank side vegetation that can hamper a traditional overhead cast.
I am aware that this is just a pastime and that if she is happy then leave her to it but surely you would be happier having to put less effort in for greater rewards?
Munchy
some quality back tracking there me old munch ,lol 10/10

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Suggest an edit Kevin, it should not make any difference what sex someone is mate. Fishing is one sport where just about everyone can be equal.
That is very true, but if she thinks that you think she can't cast because she is a woman, you have to convince her that is not the case !

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
Just a slight point. I'm not refusing to learn how to cast a different way.... Just......one step at a time... Please......
I've only just started. There is no point bombarding me with a million different things all at once. I'll just get lost, confused and peeved off and that's no fun.
As for my overhead cast. I'm not totally s*** at it. I'm learning and it's getting better. Just give me time.... 😫 And then, when I am ready, I will move on to learning the next thing.
Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was Mrs Munch fishing techniques.
💕

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Munchy mate watching my Granddaughter take her first steps, then a bit more and now she wants to walk all the time. We forget as adults how long it takes to learn things casting been one of them. I for one had my fair share of floats that have dropped on the grass behind me or worse walloped the water about 5Ft from the bank and as for the birds nests well I'll say no more. Fortunately I persevered and now can cast reasonably well for something I don't do often.

Not a criticism mate, but I have seen the same in training situations at work, where someone has been doing a do job for years they automatically assume that everyone knows what they know and can't get why someone learning doesn't grasp it immediately, after all it's just common sense isn't it.

@Mrs Munch it may help to think of casting as trying a drop shot in Badminton just over the net, it's surprising how accurately a shuttlecock will fly with a simple flick of the wrist rather than a full on smash.

NB the above is not a licence to take a racquet to Mr Munch's Shuttlecock !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
If shes happy and enjoying what she does then thats all that matters ,if she asks how to then show her. When i have taken my mrs i suggest wheres best to fish say 6m ,she agrees so i plumb up there ,when i look shes 3m and nowhere near and miles over depth lol. She likes the float sticking out an inch or more , i suggest to put it lower and she says no lol. Shes happy with that so i leave her to it. She normally gets the biggest fish on the day and her smiles make it all worthwhile 😁