Yet more waggler rod questions

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
I've noticed a number of threads recently regarding light waggler rods, all of which I've read with avid interest. They've given me food for thought but not really answered all my questions, so here goes with yet more waggler rod-related queries.

I currently have 2 waggler rods - a 10' tri-cast excellence and a 12' cadence cr10 #2. I really want a soft-actioned rod for silvers during winter, fishing light main lines and hooklengths on small, shallow stillwaters, maybe trotting the occasional small river. I thought an 11' rod would complement my other rods and had set my heart on the acolyte ultra 11'. However, I'm really struggling to get hold of one (there's maybe one on ebay as a last resort but I'd rather buy direct from a shop) and I wondered if there's a realistic 11' alternative to the acolyte ultra out there that's available and under £200. I've looked at the cadence 11' #1 but that's out of stock too, plus I'd really like a different make of rod, just for variation. There's also the drennan matchpro ultralight but that's scarce and I can't find any info on the rod weight. Any advice please?

My next question relates to rod length and netting. I find netting much easier with my 10' rod than my 12' one, which stands to reason, really. Is an 11' rod going to be closer to a 10' or 12' in terms of ease of netting, or is it literally somewhere in between? I ask because I may be able to get a 12' acolyte ultra from my local tackle shop and if there's little difference when it comes to netting between an 11' and 12', I might as well buy the 12 footer. I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

buygoodtackle

The ease of netting depends on the length of your landing net handle- the longer the rod the longer the net handle needs to be. EG a 2m handle may be fine for a 10 foot rod but would be hard work for a 15 foot rod.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I personally don't ever see the need to drop shorter than 13ft unless you are really restricted for space. If you're now looking at 12ft I'd go for the acolyte ultra but also worth a look at the Garbolino essential ultralight that bobco are doing a deal on at the moment as that also feels like a really nice rod especially now it's got a few quid off.

As above netting is only ever as hard as the length of your landing net handle makes it, there's no real need for netting to be awkward until you get to long trotting rods unless your handles real short. A fairly average length net handle should be fine for 12-14ft rods.

richox12

I remember the first time I fished with a 17ft float rod and just took my existing 3m handle. Nightmare !!!!! Now a 4m handle goes everywhere with me.

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
good point about the length of the landing net handle - I didn't think that through, did I? Too much sticky toffee pudding yesterday has addled my tiny brain! I have a 3pc 3.6m handle but only ever use 2 sections at 2.4m - I find it unwieldy at 3.6m but fine at 2.4m. I might need to invest in a lighter handle to use at longer lengths but that means yet more expense!

I don't really need a long rod given the size of the venues I fish - my maximum range is about 30m and usually around 15 to 20m with light wagglers under 5g. I like the shorter 2 piece rods (less than 12') as I can leave them made up in a rod bag. I know you can do the same with 3pc rods but it looks a lot more faff. Shorter rods are just easier to handle I think - there are a lot of trees on my club lakes that preclude even the use of 12' rods. I'll have a look at the garbolino but maybe the 12' acolyte ultra is the one to go for. Just fancied an 11 footer to complete the set!

Any advice on a cheap, light, strong and long landing net handle?:):):)

Reuben

Site Supporter
I contacted Drennan a few weeks ago regarding the Acolyte Ultra 12ft float rod. They told me that stocks would be available early in the New Year. Quite fancy one myself but no-one has any at the moment - including Drennan.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
good point about the length of the landing net handle - I didn't think that through, did I? Too much sticky toffee pudding yesterday has addled my tiny brain! I have a 3pc 3.6m handle but only ever use 2 sections at 2.4m - I find it unwieldy at 3.6m but fine at 2.4m. I might need to invest in a lighter handle to use at longer lengths but that means yet more expense!

Any advice on a cheap, light, strong and long landing net handle?:):):)
Can't help with net handles I'm afraid as my 3m one is a discontinued Leeda one and my 2m one a dinsmore that I think is also discontinued! That said I find with a 13ft rod I can use the 2m one quite easily on relatively small fish on easy banks but any remotely awkward banks especially if there's a chance of bigger fish the 3m does make things a lot easier.

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
I contacted Drennan a few weeks ago regarding the Acolyte Ultra 12ft float rod. They told me that stocks would be available early in the New Year. Quite fancy one myself but no-one has any at the moment - including Drennan.
Thanks reuben. If i can curb my impatience i might hold out until new stocks come out. I was told by a tackle dealer that the acolyte ultra was being discontinued but that seems to be wrong. I hope so

Reuben

Site Supporter
I asked them whether the Ultra was being discontinued & they categorically said that they weren’t. The Matchpro Ultralight range is discontinued, maybe he meant that.

karp_katcher

Site Supporter
I own only three waggler rods
Diawa 12ft whisker canal special for light work natural waters summer or winter,
Cadence 11ft no1 for use on commercial waters will cope with everything from silvers to f1 carp mainly winter fishing
Drennan vortex 11ft carp waggler for commercial waters mainly summer fishing for everything
All can be set up ready to go in ready rod holdall.

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
I asked them whether the Ultra was being discontinued & they categorically said that they weren’t. The Matchpro Ultralight range is discontinued, maybe he meant that.
Cheers. You’re probably right - the dealer said he’d checked drennan’s info direct but maybe looked at the wrong rod. There doesn’t seem to be a genuine, affordable alternative to the acolyte ultra so it would seem odd to discontinue it, particularly as low stock levels suggest it’s been a good seller for them

Reuben

Site Supporter
Garbolino do an ultralight match rod in 12ft that looks very nice. I’ve never handled one but someone on here may have. Have a look at Bobco & there’s a sale on.
I agree with you on the Matchpro Ultralight range - lovely rods. I’ve got the 11ft float & love it for silvers & Bream on the waggler. If I could find a 12ft I’d have it over the Ultra but they’re even more scarce - even 2nd hand.

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
I own only three waggler rods
Diawa 12ft whisker canal special for light work natural waters summer or winter,
Cadence 11ft no1 for use on commercial waters will cope with everything from silvers to f1 carp mainly winter fishing
Drennan vortex 11ft carp waggler for commercial waters mainly summer fishing for everything
All can be set up ready to go in ready rod holdall.
Looked at the cadence #1, which is out of stock in 11ft at the moment. I have the 12’ #2 which i like, particularly given the price point. Do you know if there’s a real-world noticeable difference between the #1 and #2 rods? I find the #2 useable for most of my fishing and it’s been fine for winter silvers - i just fancy treating myself to something new and a bit different to my existing rods

Reuben

Site Supporter
Cadence rods certainly have their fans on here but I don’t have one. All my rods apart from a JW Travel Avon Quiver are Drennan. Though I’m thinking about getting Darent Valley one for commercials

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
Garbolino do an ultralight match rod in 12ft that looks very nice. I’ve never handled one but someone on here may have. Have a look at Bobco & there’s a sale on.
I agree with you on the Matchpro Ultralight range - lovely rods. I’ve got the 11ft float & love it for silvers & Bream on the waggler. If I could find a 12ft I’d have it over the Ultra but they’re even more scarce - even 2nd hand.
Just had a look at the garbolino but it’s a 3 piece, which isn’t my first choice. I like leaving my rods made up (like to get set up quickly, plus i’m a bit idle) and 2 piece are easier to leave set up

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looked at the cadence #1, which is out of stock in 11ft at the moment. I have the 12’ #2 which i like, particularly given the price point. Do you know if there’s a real-world noticeable difference between the #1 and #2 rods? I find the #2 useable for most of my fishing and it’s been fine for winter silvers - i just fancy treating myself to something new and a bit different to my existing rods
The cadence #1 is slightly more powerful than the acolyte ultra and Garbolino and isnt quite so quick and precise or as nicely finished plus is obviously heavier weight wise. Still a nice rod though but not an out and out silvers rod like the drennan and Garbolino. I mostly use the cadence as my commercial rod and the acolyte as my river and more natural style stocking Stillwater rod.

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
The cadence #1 is slightly more powerful than the acolyte ultra and Garbolino and isnt quite so quick and precise or as nicely finished plus is obviously heavier weight wise. Still a nice rod though but not an out and out silvers rod like the drennan and Garbolino. I mostly use the cadence as my commercial rod and the acolyte as my river and more natural style stocking Stillwater rod.
Cheers - that’s pretty much my understanding from reading the various threads on here. As i said, i really fancy a different manufacturer so the cadence wasn’t top of my list. I’ve had a fondle of the acolyte ultra 12’ in a tackle shop and really liked it - the light weight and slim blank reminded me of the build quality of my tri cast, which i absolutely love. I don’t think you can really make an objective judgement of a rod‘s action just by waggling it in a shop (i can’t anyway) but the acolyte fits the bill on paper.

richox12

Your landing net handle at 2.4m could be fine with a 12ft rod - even 3.6m if the weights ok. Try using it before buying another

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter
Your landing net handle at 2.4m could be fine with a 12ft rod - even 3.6m if the weights ok. Try using it before buying another
It’s useable with my 12 foot rod, it just means having to stretch a bit. I’ll try it with the third section on the handle, should be better balanced

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Tri cast landing net handles are very good ,below £50 for the 4m