Yet Another Shop to Close!

Hairflick

Tackle2U is sgooXhYdZL8.png feeling sad.
Outwood CLOSING DOWN SALE Now On. Sad to Say our Wakefield Branch will be closing its doors after Christmas, with all stock heavily reduced to clear.
It is with a heavy heart we close this branch after nearly 20 years, as we adapt to the changing Angling retail market. We would like to thank all the customers who have supported us throughout the years.
The Bradford Branch will remain OPEN! thought I should add that!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I hate these posts. No, not you Hairflick. The fact that we are losing tackle shops at an alarming rate. Maybe if the young would put their Xbox down and pick a tackle box up tackle shops would survive.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I blame the parents - it's easier to stick an X-Box in your children's room than it is to take them out, sit with them on a lakeside or river bank, spend hours of precious F'book time miles away from a WiFi connection, and when the day is over play catch-up with daytime TV

:D

Somersetlad

Unfortunatley I think we are heading to a situation where the only viable tackle shops are the multiples (angling direct or fishing republic) or ones that are associated with day ticket / commercials. I confess I buy my bait at a commercial, though I never fish there, and most of my odds and ends from the internet, because it's not worth using a load of diesel to find what I want is out of stock. The reality is I dont need any more rods or reels, so I would only be replacing broken,worn out kit; the 40 year old Mitchell Match iI used yesterday is still good for a few more chub and I still use a couple of Drennan rods that are over 35 years old. I'm retired and have plenty of money, because I haven't wasted it on fad of the year.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem with tackle shops nowadays is you do not get the footfall through the door like you used to do years ago.
Anglers are getting older with less youngsters coming into the sport.
It's a seasonal hobby for many; the older people get the less they venture out in the cold and wet.
For the dedicated sportsperson who may fish all year round they tend to buy off the internet knowing what they're after, therefore with the privilege of being able to look for the best deal, but in the main buy small items and consumables often from the fishery they're attending.

The money isn't there anymore, the mark-ups are but if you cannot turn stock over quickly you end up with a load of old/last year's stock that no one wants so to move on they have to drop the mark-up to get their money back.
This then has a knock-on effect in the industry because everyone likes a bargain and instead of buying this year's latest item, last year's is there for the taking, so new tackle sales take the hit.

The tackle industry is a hard one for anyone wishing to make a living from it, and if you compare the hours a shop owner has to put in, the financial risks they have to take, the seasonal ups and downs, the ever competing internet, frugal anglers pushing for discounts, tbh I bet most would be better off working on an hourly rate serving fries in McDonald's :)

It's one of those industries that you need to be able to stack high, sell cheap, sell quickly. Make a quid on a thousand items rather than try to make a thousand on one item. Unfortunately most shops don't have the luxury of space and capital to be able to do that.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Love it :D tackle shops are closing so blame the kids. No wonder there's a generation gap :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm not blaming the kids Maverick. I cant. I hardly see any on the bank. That's the problem I think .... I never see any. Course / match fishing may just drop off a cliff if we don't encourage the kids to pick up a rod. I'm guessing most guys on here were child anglers ???? We all seen to be 40+. The future isn't us owd foggies it's the kids. Maybe I'm wrong and commercials are full of kids enjoying themselves ? I wouldn't know as I don't fish commercials that often. I've said it a few times ..... It would be great to see kids on the bank. How ? .... Well, I just don't know.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I think part of the problem is that commercials and clubs don’t allow kids to just go with their mates. I‘ve been led to believe that the venues can‘t get insurance unless all kids are accompanied by an adult. There are probably plenty of other reasons fishery owners don’t want unaccompanied minors. Like many on here I started out fishing as a kid who used to go with my mates. We never had an adult to take us.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think part of the problem is that commercials and clubs don’t allow kids to just go with their mates. I‘ve been led to believe that the venues can‘t get insurance unless all kids are accompanied by an adult. There are probably plenty of other reasons fishery owners don’t want unaccompanied minors. Like many on here I started out fishing as a kid who used to go with my mates. We never had an adult to take us.
Very true Mark. Same here. Spent many a hour with my mates fishing our local canal and stream. And legging it when the bailiff walked on. ?

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Think Markywhizz has a valid point here, we all went as kids in groups. Who knows what the future of fishing will be once were all gone. Pools of fish with nobody fishing for them. The antis will be happy at least.

Method Man

Correct Mark we never had a adult with us when we were kids, in fact probably would never have gone or become a fisherman if they had, it was wicker basket on your back rod tied to your cross bar and a six mile bike ride across Norwich to trouse with couple of my mates corn beef sandwich hard boiled eggs and a flask of coffee with a cork and grease proof paper as the stopper brilliant days and great memories.. licence what licence ?

Louis D

Site Supporter
Can't blame the parents either. It has never crossed my mind to take my kids to a historical restoration society, I'm not interested so why would I? If you want to see more kids, how many help juniors at a local club and not just as a one off. I recently stopped teaching at a local martial arts club, 2 nights a week so probably 7 hours of midweek evenings - these sorts of things put a huge demand on people.

In the end, getting juniors into the sport is similar to being on club committees - everyone knows how to do it better than you but no one wants to help.

With respect to shops, we are of course our own worst enemies. I have a good local shop - Smith's bait and tackle in Congleton. He looks to help customers on prices but will also point them elsewhere if someone else is selling at a price where he will lose money. I still buy a few things elsewhere but mainly when he has run out and I need it now. I bought my airity from him, he said his best price which matched fosters - could have got it cheaper but then 150+ mile round trip or deal with couriers if there a problem. I viewed that extra cost to me as an investment in having a local shop in the future. When so many posts start with "who's doing the best price on..." it is only going in one direction.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Many people say kids prefer to stay in with an xbox, take a walk around sports fields at weekends and see how many kids are playing football or rugby or doing athletics. A trophy shop across from where I lived used to do trophies for various football and rugby clubs that each had about 7 junior teams. And these are playing in all weathers. I used to run the junior section for my local club, and the enthusiasm was brilliant from the kids, because it was both fun and educational, after I stopped the club started a junior academy, started off ok but dwindled the kids found it to serious.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter

Our club has a junior section, but had to pay through the nose for insurance. But those juniors are growing up and either they join the senior section or go their own way. But the juniors are not coming in to replace them and I fear it's just a matter of time before we have no junior section at all.

The reason we don't allow youngsters to fish on their own is simple, some need supervision because of damage to fish, wildlife, trees and shrubbery, even the banks by digging for worms and leaving holes all over the place. I know some will say it's a matter of educating them, but that's not as easy as it sounds with some of them, a case of 'monkey see, monkey do'. A couple of days before these rains started, I had to tell 4 young ones off for fishing in the same peg. They were crossing each others lines, throwing bait to where they weren't fishing and being generally disruptive. After half an hour they packed up saying that there's no fish in the lakes.

Dusty

Many people say kids prefer to stay in with an xbox, take a walk around sports fields at weekends and see how many kids are playing football or rugby or doing athletics. A trophy shop across from where I lived used to do trophies for various football and rugby clubs that each had about 7 junior teams. And these are playing in all weathers. I used to run the junior section for my local club, and the enthusiasm was brilliant from the kids, because it was both fun and educational, after I stopped the club started a junior academy, started off ok but dwindled the kids found it to serious.

Its an easy and lazy statement to make that all kids would prefer to sit on their games consoles.
I still see plenty of kids out playing football etc.

The simple fact of the matter is that for most people fishing is a boring activity. If you sat in a room with 100 random people off the street I bet you could count the amount of anglers on two hands.
The majority of grown ups aren’t bothered about fishing so you can’t expect youngsters to get into it of their own accord.

A commonly spouted phrase is that angling is the largest participation sport in the country, I would like to see genuine statistics for this as I find it extremely hard to believe.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Prince Albert Angling Society has a bigger junior section than some north west clubs have members,