Yet another scam (sigh)

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Sorry chaps, forgot to post last Wednesday. Just happened to someone I was having a sharp half with in the Boar's Head to-day.
You may get a message on your cellphone from Tracing Notification telling you that, " You've recently been in close contact with a confirmed case. You must book a test kit..." Website for ordering a test kit is listed.
DO NOT DO THIS. The website IS the NHS PCR testkit site but you won't get one.
What you will get a few days later is a call from "the bank" asking you about some dodgy attempts to gain access to your account. They will assure you that they are from the bank and quote where you live - as they have hacked into the NHS site. Keep going and you will be asked to log on via computer or app to your bank account to change your password. That's when your account is open and it'll get emptied.
How do I know all of this? 'cos they tried it on with me and my suspicions were immediately aroused by the phrase "the bank" rather than naming the bank that I'm with and by the fact that the bloke had a London and not a Leeds accent. He became a little aroused when I said that rather than deal with him I would telephone the bank and be asked to be put through to him - he had told me his (assumed?) name. Not only did I cancel the call but I turned my cellphone off for a couple of minutes before calling my bank. Needless to say the nice young lady at the bank assured me that there had been no efforts that morning to try and use my account for some dodgy dealings.

davej1981

Plenty going round atm. I get them daily from a Manchester area code. So far they’ve claimed to be from the citizens advice having got my details from the FCA, the debt investigation bureaux having got my details from the FCA and the covid records hotline. I called them out everytime and the call gets disconnected. The same calls then started coming for a bedford area code claiming to be calling from Manchester!

Keith Sparky

Site Supporter
To be honest I never open or answer any text,email or call from anybody other than those in my phone book or email list..sad but stops wasted time