xmas memories

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Amazing how the smallest thing can bring back memories isn't it..... i've just seen a photo posted by a mate on facebook of him and his brother at xmas back in the 80's and they were playing with a big trak....anybody remember them?

It brought back a few memories for me as well, because i'd always wanted one and when i eventually bought one (at 27 lol) i couldn't understand why i was so fascinated with them...it was cack :D :D

I guess in a way i'm glad i didn't get one back then, i had a mum i rarely saw due to her 3 jobs, cleaning in the morning (waking us up as she left), bar work in the afternoon and taxi driving in the evening just to keep me and my 2 brothers going.

Most of my xmas presents were second hand, i didn't have birthday presents very often because i prefered to have a birthday cake that we could all enjoy instead of something that was only any good to me.

My usual xmas present consisted of things like a pair of jeans, only mine would have flowers on the back pockets and flares that were so big dumbo would have been jealous.....while all the other kids were getting the latest pinstripe wranglers....they'd get a pair of brand new sparkly adidas i'd get a pair of well washed and cleaned puma trainers, of course i'd also get pants, socks and vests.
My two brothers would be the same although my elder brother would normally end up with the new stuff so it could be handed down to me the following year.

I remember the year i got a computer, a 3 year old zx80, all the other kids were boasting about their brand new zx spectrums but me, i'd got a zx 80 and i loved it even though i couldn't play any games on it because we didn't have a tape recorder to load them

2nd or 3rd week back after xmas Mr Green the science teacher, (nasty evil git with arms and beard Bluto would have been jealous of) heard me talking to Bod, my best mate, (he was even worse off than us because his mum was a drunk and his dad had vanished)...Bod asked me what it was like and i told him to keep it a secret because i couldn't take anymore pish taking..but i hadn't got a tape player to load the games.

At the end of school as we were heading past Greenies classroom i heard his booming voice "Fawcett..in here NOW" i still remember the feeling of dread as i walked in..he looked at me, then past me and said "did i call your name..no i didn't now sod off outside and wait for him" Bod had walked in behind me...he didn't take long to scurry away when Greenie stood up.

He walked to the door and closed it, my knees are now starting to go weak with fear...then he says "got a computer for xmas then did you?"
"yes sir"

"ahuh, can't use it without a tape recorder then"

"how did yo...."

"answer the damned question child"

"sorry sir, no sir we haven't got one so i can't play any games"

"hmmm"

he then goes to his big green metal cabinet and reaches in, he turns around and gives me...an ancient old binatone "diarrhea brown" tape recorder and power lead..

"well, get it in your bag lad, don't let anybody see it and if you ever tell anybody i gave you that i'll make sure you can't sit down for a month......get out"

after stuttering a thank you and seeing a sort of smile on his face i ran out of the room and out the school gates...Bod was waiting and i told him to come round that night and we'd have a go on my computer...... after 40 minutes of stopping and reqinding the tape we eventually got a game loaded then realised..... no joystick so we had to use the keys.

For my birthday my mum and grandparents bought me some more games, 99p each on a 15 minute tape (anybody remember them?) ...... and i got a cake as well :D

The following xmas i had to share my xmas present with my kid brother..but it was worth it, we were given a second hand B&W Walter TV with the big twisty dial to tune it in......can you imagine what it was like for us two waking up on boxing day and getting to lay in bed and watch cartoons!!

woodmagnet

Dartist.
Nice memories marra, I always got a home made wooden garage, then the next year
it would disappear and come back as a wooden fort. This happened for a few years.
Then my brother got the pleasure.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Nice one Trogg (y) one that comes to mind is My daughter was 5 our Dan just 3, we go her a doll that when ya took the dummy outta her mouth she cried, Xmas day night we were all in bed our Dan woke up crying and i remember saying to our Gert "That F****in doll " :LOL::LOL: wish we aint got her it.

baboboy

Site Supporter
I remember being around 10 I'd started fishing in the school holidays I had basic gear and loved it. The club I joined allowed juniors to join anytime but adults could only apply between March the 15th and June the 16. My dad joined the following year and got the next price bracket gear with a daiwa Jaguar Match rod complete with daiwa cotton rod bag. I loved it and used to covet the rod. As it felt light years ahead of mine.

Roll on Christmas and I got a present with a label on it "just like dads no excuses now". It was rod case I was made up as the plastic case I had was slowly but surely disintegrating. My dad made an excuse that he'd put the kettle on whilst I was marvelling at the case. He came back in the room and said "you'll need to put this in it". It was the same rod as my dads I cried my eyes out.

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember waking up one Christmas eve night and going down stairs to the toilet. At the bottom of the stairs there was a dolls pram and a bike. My mother and father were in the kitchen having a few drinks with some of the neighbours and never saw or heard me. I ran back up the stairs all excited and woke my sisters to tell them they were getting a pram and a bike ! Next morning, guess what ? No pram, no bike ! Later on we went out to play and the neighbours kids were out playing with them ! I think that was the year I stopped believing in Santa !

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Me Dad getting up still half cut and crushing my Scalectrix the best present I'd ever had

woodmagnet

Dartist.
I remember when I was about 10 or 11 I got a red and white striped
football top. Get in thought I, until I realised it was a Southampton
top not Sunderland.

shang

Being allowed out on my new racer for a quick spin in the morning. Much improved from my previous Chopper until I found out the hard way that this bike had its f&r brake levers different to the Raleigh.
Not quite eating dinner through a straw but ..

Guy Incognito

Midport Angling Club
I would of been about 14, Dad had lost his job a few months before Christmas due to a back injury and Mum didn't work as she had myself and my 3 siblings to look after, all aged between 18 month and 14 and to say money was tight was an understatement.
Mum explained to myself and my oldest sister (11) that money was tight and it may not be the best Christmas ever, seeing Mum upset about this was hard and myself and sister agreed that Christmas was for kids and to concentrate on our younger brother (3) and sister (18 months).

Come the big day and even though we knew it wasn't going to be a present fest for us, me and Sis were still excited and couldn't wait to see what Daddy Xmas had brought for our youngest siblings. Mum and Dad did them proud, Scalextric and a few bits for my younger brother and Dolls and more bits for my baby sister. All was good in the house.

Then, Mum and Dad called myself and eldest Sister over and handed us two small presents each. With huge grins on our face we immediately ripped the wrapping paper off our first gift, my first present was my first ever "grown up" leather wallet with a £10 note inside, it was hugs all round as I watched my sister admire her "big girl" purse with the same amount but in coins. "Open your other presents" my Mum said as she smiled. We didn't need asking twice and again, we ripped the red wrapping paper off our square shaped presents. Seconds later we both held aloft matching wrist watches, I immediately knew I didn't like mine. Even though it was new, it was very old fashioned and not at all like my mates smart digital ones, but didn't let it show and again gave huge hugs to Mum and Dad and thanked them for the lovely surprise. As I was having a closer look at mine when Mum asked if she could have a look at it, I handed it over to her but as she got it in her hand it slipped and it dropped....straight into her red hot cup of tea! It had only been in the mug for seconds as she bravely ignored the burning of her fingers to fish it out. Mum passed it to Dad and after a good look he explained that it was broken, it wasn't water proof, the space between the face and the glass was filled with tea. The look on Mum and Dad's face broke my heart.

I hadn't owned it more than 2 min and it was broken.

Mum burst in to tears and apologized, "I'm so sorry, this is the worst Christmas ever" she said trying to catch her breath between sobs.
That Christmas wasn't great but my siblings were happy and I tried to make light of the fact my new watch was broken to try and cheer Mum and Dad up.

I vowed that year to make sure that I would help Mum and Dad with Christmas so my siblings would never see Mum upset again, I got part time job and managed to save £68 but Mum wouldn't accept it and cried at the offer but we hugged it out. By then Dad's back was much better and Money wasn't as tight so the following Christmas was brilliant! Mum and Dad really went to town and spoiled us rotten....and guess what my main present was?

A games console! :)

Rick