Xmas bait

rudd

Site Supporter
The big question is when to get bait for xmas period?
Finish work Tuesday, back to work 4th Jan - possible move to tier three in our area.
Will the shop have enough? How fresh will it be? How much is needed!
Only want to make one visit - Covid and all that.

A few wraps of dungie or welsh blacks as fancy a day/evening on beach targeting dabs.
Two/ Three pints of reds ( can always be frozen) and two/ thtee pints of pinkies (which can last weeks).

Already have bright pop ups and bread not a problem - just how much bait and when to buy it!

Last year Carp anglers bought gallons of maggots and wiped out local shops stock in run up the Christmas.

I may even splash out on a pint of casters or sqautts if available!

Any ideas if Willys worms any good? Thought about ordering from them but how long will delivery take?
Still waiting for items ordered over a week ago!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
From the shops point of view its impossible to gauge demand for live bait because it is weather dependant mostly over the holiday.
We had a maggot delivery today and can have another next Tuesday or Wednesday but thats it then until January so if we dont sell many this weekend do we get more just in case, having faced this issue for 38 years experience usually dictates what to do but this year is like no other so its all a bit unknown so I will probably over order and freeze any surplus.
Sea bait is different in that we have had loads of fresh lug this week because the tides have been good but no matter how much fresh we get it will all sell and the frozen stocks are not good as there has been increased demand and the tides are poor now until the new year so it cant be replenished unless we stop selling the fresh we have in the fridge now.
I am a bit different in how I look at problems like this as the first consideration is not letting customers down and having our usual top quality bait rather than the financial aspect of having live things left over so that is my excuse for not being a millionaire by now :p

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Match pack o dendra, & 2 pints of reds/fluoro's, will see me over the hols.... I was contemplating binning my trip to the Itchen on the 30th.... but F***it I'm going... I'll be outside, I can socially distance from my mate and enjoy a day's grayling fishing and still have bait to spare for the week after

rudd

Site Supporter
Shop one - Not much in and may get a delivery Monday but not sure due to lockdowns
Shop two - Has reds and pinkies, may have a few wraps of blacks - next delivery next Wednesday
Shop three - no answer all day

At least I have frozen reds, prawns and squid in freezer just in case!

baggy

Mark Saunders
Willy Worms are ok, but the maggots are on the small side. I would try ABC baits, their bait is normally spot on

Nasha

How long are fresh maggots good for if they were to be kept sealed in the home delivery state?
Or is the better advice to open them up and keep them in bait tubs in the shed?
I don’t have a fridge for bait so that option is out.

jononcb

How long are fresh maggots good for if they were to be kept sealed in the home delivery state?
Or is the better advice to open them up and keep them in bait tubs in the shed?
I don’t have a fridge for bait so that option is out.
Maggots should keep okay for a couple of weeks if you have a coldish building like an out house or garage floor.
Although it's been unusually mild again the last few days!!

Nasha

Maggots should keep okay for a couple of weeks if you have a coldish building like an out house or garage floor.
Although it's been unusually mild again the last few days!!
You're right there, it's been pushing double figures round here last few days and even had some warm sun!

From the ABC Baits website: "The bait is super chilled and packed in bags with minimum oxygen. This makes for a more comfortable, stress free transit. When you receive your package simply release the bait from it's packaging and allow up to 40 minutes to revive. There will be no long lasting effects on your bait"

I wondered if leaving them like this would keep them fresher?

Nasha

Or maybe as they start to warm from their super chilled state they start to get super stressed. Id be stressed being a maggot and knowing my final destination :eek:

Total

Site Supporter
....................."From the ABC Baits website: "The bait is super chilled and packed in bags with minimum oxygen. This makes for a more comfortable, stress free transit. When you receive your package simply release the bait from it's packaging and allow up to 40 minutes to revive. There will be no long lasting effects on your bait"

I wondered if leaving them like this would keep them fresher?

The above info' is for the journey to you only....They are a live bait, they need air....(y)

Unpack them, put them through a riddle, get them into bit boxes etc with some fresh saw dust (pint to a pint and half per 3 pint box/ or a bowl etc) and repeat the process every couple of days.....Bait will last like this approximately 2 weeks on your shed floor dependent on the temperatures in the cooler months.....(y)

rudd

Site Supporter
Maggots and pinkies riddled, maized and in beer/bait fridge in multiple boxes with lids off.
4 wraps fresh Black lug (10 per wrap) left in newspaper all day to dry, sorted, slalped, wrapped in clingfilm (10 per wrap, lay out clingfilm, put on worm wrap, put on worm wrap etc etc until ten in wrap then wrap wrap with another layer of cling film. Cooled in fridge for an hour, Now in freezer.
When defrosted (some full blast with microwave) as wrap is unwrapped each worm comes out individually and cleanly whist rest still wrapped.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ll go shop to get some tomorrow which should see me through the couple weeks unless the weather and fishing is better than expected. Planning to fish on Sunday then the number of after Christmas sessions will depend on how long it takes for the river to drop again after all the rain forecast Monday to Wednesday this week.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I keep maggots & pinkies in the garage (unheated) floating the bait boxes in water as I don’t have a bait fridge. As long as you riddle & clean at least every other day then I find they will keep a couple of weeks even in hotter months.