Wyrley & Essington Canal Pelsall

YAMO

yes like most canals as it becomes colder the fish become dormant and feed less, the water becomes clearer and the fish shoal up tightly. The roach are still showing up but finer tackle is a must to catch them. As for the carp they will be feeding naturally but not as confident as in summer, there wer some guys fishign down the extension last night and they catch carp regularly.

maver mon

do u catch big carp ?? where is the canal ?? can u give me the number of the club ??
i will give you a ring when u give me the number !!!! =D

thanks

T K

Bum Draw Master
Near Pelsall

Map links and contact details at the top of this thread Maver Mon

Give us a bell.............

Contact Name: Dave Meredith & Tony Kulik

Contact Phone: 01922 413925 (DM) and 07989 700638 (TK)

T K

Bum Draw Master
At the end of Jan to the beginning of March 2009 BWB will be carrying out improvement works along the Wyrley & Essington Canal between Ogley Jnct (Brownhills) and Birchills Jnct (Walsall).
The work will entail spot dredging, removing areas of built up silt and the cutting back of overhanging vegetation that could pose safety issues for boaters.
The works are to be sympathetic towards angling and will be carried out Mondays to Fridays only within normal working hours

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nice to see BWB doing something that will help anglers hope all you yam yams and ay ars appreciate it [:p]

T K

Bum Draw Master
Off course we do Trogg [;)]

Have you had an Essox Lucius session down there lately [?]

MrV

Yorkshire exile
Site Supporter
Originally posted by T K
[The works are to be sympathetic towards angling and will be carried out Mondays to Fridays only within normal working hours

They only work a couple of hours a day so that shouldn't affect the fishing then (Steps back and awaits the fallout from any BW employees who use this site) [}:)][}:)]

YAMO

Get your membership renewed soon, only a fiver and as you can see and read above its well worth that. Also a super match venue, so any clubs looking for a few matches speak to TK, superbly priced and well worth a trip.

T K

Bum Draw Master
Had a wander along the complete length yesterday, replacing signs that had deteriated with age.

Three young lads were fishing pop ups on pegs in the 80's and had had a few tugs......[:T]

Beautifully conditioned and marked/scaled fish of 14lb, 12lb and 9lb [^]

Also saw pictures of one fish of 23lb that the one youngster had caught earlier in the season [8D]

Just wished I'd have given the lad who had the pictures on his phone my email details so that I could have posted them on the forum [:C]

T K

Bum Draw Master
This guy was having one a chuck today, all stampers on the seed

View of the cut looking west off the Fingerpost pub sun terrace

Park the wife here with half a lager and get some sport in just 5 yards away..........

You know it makes sense [;)]

T K

Bum Draw Master
Just had a word with Cotti the Warburton King who fished the cut yesterday.

How did you get on?

Well I did around the 14lb mark

Had a good day then

No, not really. 3 of my fish were tench, and Id say each one was over 3lb, the rest were all roach except one small rudd. So take the tench away and I daint do that good. Plus Id got a pike in my peg that snaffled a couple of roach off me so I just did the 4 hours instead of 5 and packed up at 2pm

Well 9-10lb of tincas and 3-4lb silvers aint bad fishing

Spose not, but rubbish compared to the bloke just up from me you know him, he used to fish with Alrewas. The one who showed me how to fish the punch

Why what did he have?

He daint have any bread on him today, just fished caster over groundbait, but as well as all the roach he was having, when I left him hed also got 9 tench, with quite a few of em over the 4lb mark every time I looked hed got one on - plus 4 bream which were all proper uns all well over the 4lb mark. I reckon he was over the 50lb mark he was owning up to and all from just down the track

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tone, i thought your waters were closed now or is that just the stretch i like?

Both myself and a mate are planning on having a licence of you this year mate, Iain is only just getting back into fishing after ending a bad part of his life so i'm hoping to get him wetting a line soon...................well when i can get a day off again lol.

T K

Bum Draw Master
Hi Trogg [:W]

The Cannock Extension canal (where we met) I 'control' for Harrisons S&SC has the close season being a designated SSSI. (Runs from the A5 down to the junction with the Wyrley & Essington canal)

This canal, the Wyrley & Essington, is leased by Cashmores AC (for whom I'm also match booking secretary and treasurer) and doesnt have a close season on it, so its open all year [:T]

Some big Essox Lucius in this stretch of cut too if you fancy a wander along [;)]

Last edited:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
been there done that [;)]

I was only messing about chucking my lure along the edge and some little sod of a jack took it lol

Excellent scrapper but i reckon if i'd put it on my scales it wouldn't have gone much more than a pound!!!

Gorra go cos i'm at work lol

codenamemilo

Im tempted to take a fly outfit down there for the pike, but not sure if I could cope with all the "there no trout in here ya daft bugger" type comments!

T K

Bum Draw Master
Go and give it a bash Codenamemilo [:T]

Have a wander to the left of Wood Lane bridge - there's just under another mile or so to go at - might throw up a surprise or two [;)]

T K

Bum Draw Master
A week or so ago I sold a Cashmores AC card to a guy who'd just moved into the area.

I asked him to keep me posted how he got on.

On his first trip there he contacted me to advise that hed had a few tugs..(copied below with his permission I think he must be too modest to blow his own trumpet)[;)]

For last half hour tonight I went the other side of the bridge at the end of the little driveway form the bridge where a few timber posts are set in ground. I was joined by an older bloke called Jim who goes down there a lot? And his grandson, he gave me a few tips and showed my where to fish the channels and Ii got a nice 5lb tench and few other bites in half hour.

So now going down there at 6am tomorrow as mrs has me gardening in the afternoon! Will let you know how I get on, then its back to catching the dreaded hour or so between work form next week!

Will keep you informed

Well Im pleased he did this next update just goes to show how either a change of bait (Id recommended the bread to him!!!) or perhaps just the difference a couple of hours can make..

Went down the canal about 5.30am on Friday with loaf of Kingsmills best, absolutely shocking, no bites, freezing cold, had a nightmare morning, went home about 8am.

THEN got bored during my last day off work on the Friday afternoon so gave it another shot but this time left the bread and nipped to Allens for a pint of red maggot. Whilst there purchased a shock stick, which for those that aren't aware is basically a 1 piece 3 metre pole which is so easy for close by fishing.

Anyway, fished a 4lb line with size 18 barbless hook and double red maggot over .75kg of red ground bait, hoping to get few roach, perch and maybe the odd small tench, basically just an afternoon of tiddlers to pass the time by. I got my wish and pulled out 8 perch all quite small, 6 roach including the largest roach I have ever seen, think it must of been on weetabix for brekkie!

BUT the afternoon went from good to better, I was soon pleased I had bothered with my keep net as I landed my first nice tench, about 3.5lb, then a 4lb, then a 3lb.....then a 6.5lb tench I have never seen one that size and it was also male so fought me like mad, thought either my line or elastic would snap then luckily it swam straight into my landing net! I then went on to have another 4 tench together with the odd tiddler.

I ended up with 36.5lb of fish in my keep net and I was only there under 4 hours, a fantastic day of fishing which I didnt think was possible on a canal!

Looks like I could do with a lesson or two from him.[:)]

T K

Bum Draw Master
Looks like good pleasure weights continue to come out[:)]

Received a text yesterday from Yamo last night it read Had a cracking afternoon at Wood Lane, lot of silvers, few bream and 6 tench averaging 3lb, biggest about 5lb.Great day. Si (one of the local Pelsall guys) had 80lb from basin.

[:T]