Wyrley & Essington Canal Pelsall

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Lobworm......'Your mission should you choose it ...'

I shall expect to see that beastie lying in your net ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ‘
Sounds like a job for Pellets & Paste Tony. ;)

Reactions: T K

T K

Bum Draw Master
Notice of club match
Sunday 2nd Aug
Dana AC - 20 pegs Wood Lane/Common
Members are requested to respect the pegging out of this bona fide match - there's plenty of canal for us to enjoy
Thanks

I thought it would be good to share a 'The one that got away story' as its suppose to help therapeutically (maybe).

Anyway I got the pleasure of the above last night times two (bonus!).

In the last few hours of daylight I decided to get back to my fav spot and try and catch 'a big-gun'. Fishing bread flake on a floating rig I soon got a little bit of light bites and wobbly float activity. Soon after 'boom' flloat dived, line tightened, and I struck into a hefty fish that dragged me off into the depths of the cut, giving a few moments of hope, before leaving my hook snagged in the bottom vegetation (fish gone, but rig undamaged).

So back too it, maybe it'll come back for 'seconds' as hook didn't take, so maybe no real shock/trauma for the fish.

Anyway rod in rest, me sitting aside it waiting for the dip of the float, I'm ready. No I'm not! - 10 mins later, float dives, I grab for the rod, rods not there, momentary 'urr in my head', then realisation rod has been yanked out of the rest and is now 4 ft away tittering on the edge of the canal waiting to be dragged off down the cut.

I do all I can (fave rod and all that) and belly flop onto my rod, before one more strong tug and fish has gone, not hooked again o_O . Rod and rig are recovered fine and in tact.

The phantom from the deep struck twice.

Not surprisingly, I spent the next half hour with hand glued to my rod and feet flat to the floor, but no fishy returned to finish me off :censored:.

It's the challenges that make us who we are, so the wifey told me later while laughing.

Till next time.

Mission accomplished - got im!!!
(think its actually a her)

Back to my fav spot for another try for that biggun. Swapped to sweetcorn to try and keep the bait on the hook.

Had been fishing into sunset and was packing up when me float started to lift and sink a bit but not enough to strike. This carried on for 20 mins and was i presumed some roach playing with me. But i kept my hand firmly on me rod, didnt want to get done over yet again.
Screenshot_20200809-024941_Gallery.jpg

Anyway, boom, fish took the float, good strike, and off he went dragging line off my reel for 15m or so. I locked and reeled in my line with plenty of resistance from the fish. 3m of line above my float was wrapped in that dam surface weed, so couldnt reel in to the net. I walked backwards and had to drop my rod and pull the line by hand now. Got the net in and oh the relief, fish in net.

T K

Bum Draw Master
Nice one Lobworm good to hear your efforts paid off, but how I'd have loved to have seen that belly flop ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Some big old paddles on that carp. :upthumb:

Reactions: T K

T K

Bum Draw Master
Notice of upcoming club match

Sat 22nd Aug Mount AC - 20 pegs approx Wood Lane/Common

Members are requested to respect the pegging of this bona fide match - there's plenty of remaining canal for pleasure anglers - thanks

T K

Bum Draw Master
The gales from Storm Ellen played havoc on the latest club match
This lucky so and so managed to win it with 7.10.2 comprised of 218 small rudd plus 1 bonus 1 oz perch caught at 5 mtrs cuss he couldn't hold any more pole
118401880_3563004697042899_7272019538027129305_o.jpg

T K

Bum Draw Master
Par for course, the wind subsided the minute the final whistle blew before that picture of mill pond conditions was taken ๐Ÿ˜‰