Wyrley & Essington Canal Pelsall

T K

Bum Draw Master
Nice one Lobworm 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻Great to hear from you. On the lob or your favoured flake?

A couple of fish caught at my fav spot this weekend, now that Boris has allowed us to fish again. Both were caught at sunset on last two evenings.
Tinca put up an equally strong fight, though the carp bent my landing net pole as I lifted im out. Carp was on spam chunk and tinca on bread. Both caught on rod and line using simple float rig.
Carp.gif
Tench170520.gif

T K

Bum Draw Master
Bostin Lobworm, glad to hear you are having a few tugs. Theres been a few tincas put in an appearance late last week along the common when restrictions were lifted, on corn this time as the tackleshops were closed

T K

Bum Draw Master
Btw Clubcards for the new season commencing 16th June are now available, still just £5 for the year

Hi TK, no surprise to say that my cash will be in the post for this, the best of cut permits.

I had a crack of dawn session today. After initially landing four nice easy bream, the following three tincas came to the net within a space of a very lucky half an hour. All caught on bread flake with the usual float rig.

All of the tincas put up a rod bending fight, though only the biggun did a full surface breaching spin in an attempt to get rid of me, and snapped my float in the process.

Tench280520.gif

T K

Bum Draw Master
Always good to hear of you having a few tugs Lobworm. Youd have probably won our contest we fished along the common on Saturday. Not the best of conditions for fishing, red hot, sunny skies. Our winner had 3 tincas.

Thanks for continuing to support the club and canal

T K

Bum Draw Master
Notice of club match
Sunday 28th June
The Maggotdrowners Stowie Crew - 10 pegs Wood Lane
Members are requested to respect the pegging out of this bona fide match - theres plenty of canal for us to enjoy
Thanks

New permit in hand I went down the cut after work. It was quite a warm evening, with a decent breeze in places.

The following trio came to the net, all from just beyond the edge of the nearside lilies, using rod and line, size 10 hook with pinched bread flake, over a bed of bread crumbs. Slow sinking floats each time turned into powerful fights (even the bream made an effort) once they'd felt the weight and took the hook.

trioonWandE.gif

I'm making the most of the fishing this weekend, and had a 2 hour session this morning arriving at my spot around sunrise at 4am. The plan was to fish strictly to a two hour time, then back home and sleep before anyone knew I'd been out.

It was a showery morning, but still mild, and not much wind, so pretty ok under my umbrella. Didn't take long before the float sunk, but on striking nothing held and me float took to the air a little. Anyway, rig ok and no tangles, so no loss. Returned to fishing a little more cautiously and it wasn't long before the 1st of two decent bream came into my net. Not too much fight as usual, but nice ones for the cut and something to make the early rise worth it.

Back to fishing, and bit of a lull for a while. A few mozzies had decided to join me under the umbrella, and while distracted trying to keeping one out of my ear hole, I didn't notice my float disappear into the depths. Anyway my rod started to quiver and attempt to make its way towards the water. Luckily for me I was awake enough to grab the rod and strike into a strong fighting Tinca, followed by a sporting tussle, the decapitation of a few lilly pads and into the net, as can be seen from the pic below. I'd guess 4lb plus, but with that broad paintbrush shaped tail, just built for the fight.

tench270620.gif

T K

Bum Draw Master
Love hearing of your exploits on the cut Lobworm - cheers. That certainly looks a fit fighting tinca 👍

I took another stroll down the cut last night after my dinner, with my rod and a small bag of cocktail sausages in hand. This bream took a chunk and almost my rod as well straight to the bottom of the cut, though once hooked it didn't give much of a fight. Probably the biggest bream I've caught in a while.

Bream300620.gif

Over the last week there had been a bit of Carp activity in my local swim, looked like 2 carp in total, one decent one and one very big one (for the canal).

So I thought I'd get my biggest rod and reel out (not so big in reality), but 20lb main line and lighter hook length. Anyway last night was the night I thought I'd give it a go (umbrella up).

Using the usual bread flake, but decent size chunk of it, I started to float fish as usual. In the 1st hour I came up with two nice bream (so something for my time).

Anyway after 20 mins or so more, the float dived under, the line tightened, the rod shook like it was possessed, and as I went to strike, I struck into air, but at the same time, a large tail fin kicked up a broken wave, then a large wake of water as something headed up the centre of the canal at a pace.

I'm standing there puzzled, as my float is gone. Then on examination, as far as I can tell - fish took the bait, float dived, 20lb line tightened through my rod, until it hit resistance at my reels bail arm, pulled the line on my reel tight, then snapped on the arm. I had my reel set to give line, but it didn't get a chance to comply.

Think I literally got a whipping by a large carp.

T K

Bum Draw Master
Wow 😳😳😳
I couldn't believe some of our members were fishing 12lb straight thru (on the pole) on some of the noted areas/pegs on our matches Lobworm.
Made me think about stepping up my 2.6lb line....😉

T K

Bum Draw Master
Lobworm......'Your mission should you choose it ...'

I shall expect to see that beastie lying in your net 🐟🐟🐟👍