Wye trotting trip.

squimp

Site Supporter
I had a free day today and managed to find a WUF stretch near Ross that wasn’t busy and appeared to be producing a few chub and the odd barbel.

After a very early start I was on the river at 645 this morning and spent the first half hour walking most of the stretch checking out the available swims. The water was pretty low and a strange brown colour. Unfortunately not nice ‘rain’ colour but actually nasty algae colour. Visibility was about 12 “.

The idea was to make the day into a recce trip for later in the season and to check out several swims.

I started in a steady glide about 4ft 6“ deep and put a stream of pellets down the centre of the river. Gear was a 15ft Tricast rod, 4lb mainline and a small band on a hair to pull thru drilled pellets or meat. Hooks varied from 16 to 12.

I stuck there for about 3.5 hours and landed about 15 chub with the best estimated at just over 4lb. Most were 1 - 1.5 lb. I only had 2 in the day that I could swing to hand. There was a thick weed bed on the inside about 15 yards below me and that proved problematic - I lost 2 decent fish in there. Looks like a decent swim for later in the year with a bit of water on…..and less weed !

Next stop was a similar 4ft deep glide a couple of hundred yards downstream. After a slow start things picked up and a few decent fish came to the meat. Best was about 4.5 lb. The rest were 1 - 2.5 lb. There was a tree below me and I had 2 decent fish by letting the float run past the tree and then holding back hard and feeling for the bites as I couldn’t see the float ! A snag under my feet cost me one decent fish. After about 10 fish in 2 hours I moved again.

I moved right downstream to a fast flowing shallow run - hoping for a barbel in the oxygenated water…. I had to wade out halfway across the river and then repeat the pellet/meat loose feed. Another slow start and then a few smallish fish (chub) turned up on pellets. Then I had a few better ones fishing a bit further out on meat, best a solid 4+ lb, about 8 total. No sign of any barbel. By 330 it was hot and sunny and the early start was catching up on me….so I packed up.

All in all a fun day, 30 odd chub with a few decent 4lb fish. Not bad given the state of the river and a useful chance to checkout a selection of swims on a stretch I’d never seen before.

From 9.30 till lunchtime a whole host of canoes and paddle boards came through. I’m happy to report that every one kept to the far bank and caused me no major issues. I did fire in a few pellets to show them where I was fishing though.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey 30 odd decent chub trotting sounds like heaven to me that even beats trotting for roach which I don’t say about many things! Very well done indeed 👍

Robwooly

The brown colour is a cancer, as is the algae.

Nice to hear about the weed bed though as the Wye is losing them due to phosphates going in from the chicken farms, hence the brown, once all the weed goes the river will be more of a mess, the Severn is going similar, been brown last two seasons.

squimp

Site Supporter
The brown colour is a cancer, as is the algae.

Nice to hear about the weed bed though as the Wye is losing them due to phosphates going in from the chicken farms, hence the brown, once all the weed goes the river will be more of a mess, the Severn is going similar, been brown last two seasons.
Yes. I listen to the salmon anglers who are fed up with asking questions about the ruination of ‘their’ river.

It is very sad.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I was going to say, there's been a similar colour in the Severn, it's not clear even when low. That sounds like a brilliant days fishing though. Similar thing with canoes on the Severn.

squimp

Site Supporter
I was going to say, there's been a similar colour in the Severn, it's not clear even when low. That sounds like a brilliant days fishing though. Similar thing with canoes on the Severn.
Yes, Ive done 2 recent recce zander trips (no fish) to the lower Severn and it is a similar filthy colour.