Wychwood 9ft Extricator v Drennan 10ft Red Pellet Waggler

EgorTheRed

I have Parkinson's disease and have only just taken up fishing again. Because of my shakes I need a short rod but one with a soft tip. I was given a Drennan 10ft Red Pellet Waggler but find the tip a bit stiff.

I only waggler fish in the margins and wonder if the Wychwood 9ft Extricator might be a better option. Can't find any real information on the net so thought I might throw it out to others with more experience.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks

Sam Vimes

The Wychwood Extricators are out and out carp rods with test curves around the 2.75lb mark. They are in no way intended as waggler rods. If you find your Drennan too stiff, the Extricators are likely to seem like broom handles in comparison.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
^^^^ wot he said... I have the Nash Dwarf 9' and they are 2.75lbs, way too stiff for waggler/general coarse fishing

EgorTheRed

The Wychwood Extricators are out and out carp rods with test curves around the 2.75lb mark. They are in no way intended as waggler rods. If you find your Drennan too stiff, the Extricators are likely to seem like broom handles in comparison.
Thanks. That's the difference between knowing and not knowing.👍 So, any idea of a 9ft rod that might suit?

Arry

Site Supporter
Drennan do a 10' Vertex, waggler rod, but I don't know if that would suit your needs, the Drennan Red Range are not that stiff for float fishing... I gave one to my 82 year old Father in Law (along with a 9' feeder rod) and he gets on fine with it

Arry

Site Supporter
if your budget will run to it there's this....

EgorTheRed

Drennan do a 10' Vertex, waggler rod, but I don't know if that would suit your needs, the Drennan Red Range are not that stiff for float fishing... I gave one to my 82 year old Father in Law (along with a 9' feeder rod) and he gets on fine with it
Maybe what I'm after doesn't exist. Thanks for your help

EgorTheRed

Sam Vimes

any idea of a 9ft rod that might suit?

Sorry, not really. There may well be lighter actioned short pellet waggler rods out there, but it's not a field I have much interest in. When I've needed shorter old style match (float) rods, especially 11' or less, I've sometimes resorted to modifying a longer rod.

I only have one designated pellet waggler rod. It's certainly lighter actioned than many of the type and it's a dual length 9-11'. Unfortunately, it's an old Shimano Speedmaster and it's long since discontinued. Shimano have certainly produced rods in a similar format since, but I've no idea what they are like.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The only 9ft float rod I can think of is the browning CK micro waggler, there is also a 10ft F1 version that's something like 20% softer. They dont have a classic float rod action but the longer one is at least quite soft and even the shorter one will be better than those you mention in your original post.

If you can go to 10ft it opens up more options, not classically float rod actioned but better than those you mentioned in your original post. I have a 10ft daiwa ninja that's not too bad at all action wise, bit more power than ideal but not so much so that you can't make do with it for smaller fish. There is also a 10ft maver reality that's not too bad but it doesn't feel as nice as the ninja to me action wise. Another rod I've waggled is the middy arco tech 305 waggler which is a 10ft rod with an extension section to make it 11ft which could be quite useful if you could use it but it feels better at 10ft anyway. Again it is not a classic float rod action wise but it is fairly soft actioned as I think is designed for F1 and skimmers. Basically I had quite a hunt for 10ft float rods a few months back when looking for one for my little boat so waggled quite a few before settling on the ninja.

Never seen one myself but a few people on here rave about the 10ft tfgear compact float for its quality relative to its price point so that might be worth a look as well.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I was just about to post about the Middy K305 as I had a waggle and it is quite soft actioned but as you say it is 10-11ft but a 9 ft rod would be very difficult there are the Shimano beastmaster and forcemaster 9-11ft rods but I wouldn't say they were any softer actioned than the drennan red range. Another option could be the Greys Torean 10'6 rod they are quite soft actioned but very through actioned also if I remember rightly both the greys and the middy are available at Bobco for about £80. If you have your heart set on a soft actioned 9ft rod another option could be to have one built on a fly rod blank but that could work out expensive unless you know someone that could build it for you (quite a lot of quite cheap fly rod blanks on ebay at the min )

trotter2

Have a look at the John Wilson 10ft float rod it is a soft action and very cheap. Don't let the price put you off its a very nice little rod.

ValeTudoGuy

Maybe what I'm after doesn't exist. Thanks for your help

I have always though that a 9ft Medium Spinning rod is the most versatile fishing rod that exists. There's also absolutely loads of them covering every action imaginable.

I have an older Maver Distinction Excell Spin 9'6 that has a lovely tip. What you want is certainly out there, I seriously suggest that you include spinning rods in your search criteria though.

ValeTudoGuy

Shimano Catania EX Spinning Rod for example are a Medium Fast rod, if we only look at the 9' examples in the range then there are 3 power ratings UL - 1-11g, ML 7-21g and M -10-30g

All under £40

Deejay8

Site Supporter
May I ask how the shaking affects your use of the rod, and why you need a short rod with a soft tip action? It might help to know what the problem is with a longer stiffer tipped rod. Most float rods have a certain amount of stiffness in the tip to allow for good line pick up on the strike.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Just an idea, but might a quivertip rod work, but fished with a waggler instead of with a feeder or bomb? As you are only fishing the margins, you will only be using a small waggler float, and not casting far, and the quiver tip would provide a soft tip. It might be worth seeing if someone can lend you a 9 or 10ft feeder rod, and try it before you go down that route.

mbuna_matt

I can absolutely vouch for the 9' Browning rod it is fabulous for margin work. Fished at Ian Heaps place with mine all last year and probably never fished more than 3' from the bank most days, handled just about everything up to and including 13lb ish from memory.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Just bought my dad the 9ft browning micro waggler for Father's Day to use on our boat. Haven't played with it yet as obviously hasn't been Father's Day yet but we'll get out with it sometime next week so will see what it's like then.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I have Parkinson's disease and have only just taken up fishing again. Because of my shakes I need a short rod but one with a soft tip. I was given a Drennan 10ft Red Pellet Waggler but find the tip a bit stiff.

I only waggler fish in the margins and wonder if the Wychwood 9ft Extricator might be a better option. Can't find any real information on the net so thought I might throw it out to others with more experience.

Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks
I've got that very rod which in carpy terms I understand to be a stalking type rod for big fish. MIne has a TC of 3lb and will handle pretty much any big carp around. Not what I would choose for waggler fishing. If you think the Drennan RR has a stiff tip then the extricator rod will definitely make you reassess that view.

It depends what you are looking to catch in the margins, but it might be worth looking at a spinning rod at the sort of short length you seem to like. The modern ones are really light and some are very powerful. I've recently looked at Daiwa's range of rods which look quite impressive