Would you snitch on a neighbour?

Wrongfoot

I wouldn't, bigger issues needed to get me involved. However I reckon anyone flouting the ban is asking for it. Grass can survive a drought, just looks less pretty for a while, and you can water your borders, pots and veg with a can and wash your car with a bucket. Just do that and there's no problem.

Hoses aren't banned for the infirm and where pond stock needs protecting. So Dave needn't be defensive about his pond quite sensibly there's an exception.

So for the remaining general use, I reckon (and hope) it takes a specially self-centred type of person to feel that being denied a wasteful hose, but not actually denied water is an imposition. Most will help out. The few entitled people who break the ban are less likely to be reasonable people so if you're identified you might be in for a neighbor dispute with a bad-un. A careful approach to informing would be sensible. Pick your battles...

Aztecca

Site Supporter
Surely the water companies fixing leaks is more of a priority than me watering my hanging baskets.

It said on the news last night that 3 billion litres of water a day is lost to leaking pipes.
And that would be enough to supply Birmingham,Manchester and Leeds for the day.
It also said that not long ago 24% of the water that Thames water supply is lost to leaks.

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
Nope never over something so trivial. Not worth the hassle if ever they find out, house, car, kids become targets and 'grass' will stay with you till the day you die.

Tristar

Would I? Yes of course I would and a great result it was too. A Pakistani thing (note I didn't use the word gentleman) many years ago dealing class A and being a "ten man" in his head only character supplying class A. Came to a head one day when I came home and found he and his parasitical mates had tried to speak to my 10yr old daughter while playing in the front area of the house asking where they live etc. So a word in the right ear of the correct authorities and he was knicked. I'm not mentioning names for legal reasons and I don't want to get on the wrong side of the Dave and admins. The neighbours were scared of this parasite nonce and his "heavies" but in the end brain power outwitted muscle and intimidation power and a great result in the end. The grooming dealer is out now, the authorities don't want to monitor the individual for being labelled "racist" etc etc but trust me the community are well aware of him coming back, not to the area but is likely to return.

More recently I was looking out of the window across the car park where I live and noticed a neighbour in his car, a couple of hours later he was still sat there, now being a nosey git I went to see if he's ok and to check there are no rubber hoses attached etc. He was in a distressed state and not coping, he was in a locked compound and not driving, he couldn't go anywhere but others wanted him "banged Up" . He wasn't coping, I quickly worked out the car doesn't work anyway even though new (it was a Fiat btw). So I got him out and he now has the relevant help, I knock on when i can, if not my partner will to check he's ok. Did I snitch? no, I used my loaf.

Now....... as for hosepipes.....will I eckerslike, We live in a temperate climate, if the utilities can't deal with the demand that is their problem. If I see a neighbour playing with hosepipe making a pansy moist good for them, I hope the marigolds are ok too. In a few weeks or so there will be flood alerts no doubt, so do we all turn on our sprinklers and taps on then to help the flooding?

So would I "snitch" , it depends, come near my family with a drug and underage culture I will deal with it. A man in desperate need for support and needs the relevant help...no. He?she/Trans/microwave/legobrick/plant or the other 99 genders needs support.

I look out of my window and see a neighbour spraying over his pansies with a hosepipe, grass ...no get a life!

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
I hope no one snitches if they bring in a hosepipe ban down here. I can earn loads of lovely overtime going out catching them then 😘💦💦💦💦💦

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
So Southern Water are asking people to dob their neighbours in if they use a hosepipe during the ban - would you?

Fines of up to £1000 for the use of a hosepipe during a ban.
I would rather stick hot needles in my eyes than snitch on a neighbour. If they're doing something they shouldn't is it any of my business? If they're doing something that affects me or my family I'd have a word.
When the water authorities put their own houses in order then they might have the right to preach to us what we should or shouldn't be doing.
Never

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Absolutely not. The only reason I'd ever snitch is under extreme circumstances. Domestic abuse, Anything to do with kids ect.
People who snitch on people for trivial sh*t like using a hosepipe when it's banned are the worst type of people and should be avoided at all costs. No lifers who take pleasure only in making other peoples lives a misery.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Fortunately since Kielder and the associated transfer pipes were completed we've never had (and never will have) a hose-pipe ban so it's not something I need to worry about.

Simon

Tristar

My neighbour has dumped 25 refuse bags of household rubbish in my back yard and into my recycling bins. She doesn't have a main non recyclable bin, instead she usually pays a person to take it away. I've been away and found my gate has gone and the yard area is full of her rubbish. I know it's hers as I've been through the rubbish today and found four letters with her name and address on. She's not an approachable type and makes things up so I won't speak to her.

Now the big question, do I report her to the Council as I've got her ketters.

Gaz9243

It depends which neighbour. One of them is a proper Richard head, and really does think he’s something.
Definitely wouldn’t on anyone else though.

Gaz9243

My neighbour has dumped 25 refuse bags of household rubbish in my back yard and into my recycling bins. She doesn't have a main non recyclable bin, instead she usually pays a person to take it away. I've been away and found my gate has gone and the yard area is full of her rubbish. I know it's hers as I've been through the rubbish today and found four letters with her name and address on. She's not an approachable type and makes things up so I won't speak to her.

If be emptying them all over her back yard 👍

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Call the council's Flytipping number and report it.
They should send someone round to collect it pretty quickly and if they happen to find the letters within it and take action then how were you to know it was hers in the first place ;)

Reuben

Site Supporter
Call the council's Flytipping number and report it.
They should send someone round to collect it pretty quickly and if they happen to find the letters within it and take action then how were you to know it was hers in the first place ;)
Good advice.

bluemack

Site Supporter

In this instance you should,nt really need to ask the question,just do it (unless there, something you,re not telling us):whistle:;)🥰

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
People will use their hosepipes it’s as simple as that. There’s to many selfish people around. Only warring neighbours will grass each other up. Some would be tempted if they received a cash reward.

Arcane

Assessment criteria for choosing to take action against another person is as follows:

Is said person about to physically harm or kill either me or another person?

If the answer is no…no action is required. If the answer is yes…take action (evasive or defensive)

Now go ahead and water your sweet peas.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
Assessment criteria for choosing to take action against another person is as follows:

Is said person about to physically harm or kill either me or another person?

If the answer is no…no action is required. If the answer is yes…take action (evasive or defensive)

Now go ahead and water your sweet peas.
With a watering can!

Robwooly

When I lived in North London during one drought one of the neighbours was out hosing down their driveways, there was no watering of plants or even cleaning cars in this example, it was wanton waste, whilst our local rivers run really low. It's amazing how many threads state that those coming to this country should abide by our customs and laws yet using a hospipe in times of drought is ok on this one, bit bizarre double standards. In such circumstances where whole cultures and groups are oblivious to local rules and bylaws grassing up would be the only way to educate. You're not going to advise these people, not if you are wise, you either accept they are above the law through ignorance or grass them up, choose one.