Would you ever shot a stick float like this?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Don’t worry too much what people tell you Zerkalo. Go out there and try it for yourself. Who knows they may work perfectly for you. I once watched John Dean at North Muskam and he looked to have two independent shotting set ups on the same rig. A strung out, a gap of around 400mm then another strung out. Ain’t a clue what that was all about. I guess he was experimenting. 🤔
Double bulk maybe like on the pole sometimes gets used. Not having all the bulk together maybe the fish dont feel so much of the bulk or maybe a slightly slower fall 🤔

dave brittain 1

Standard shotting patterns for me from the hook are:

Shirt button from the hook, waters up to 8ft deep : 10ins No 8, 6 ins No 8, 6ins 2 x No 8's, 6 ins 2 x No 8's, 6ins 2 x No 8's repeating up to the float.

Bulk from the hook, waters more than 8ft deep : 10ins No 8, 6 ins No 8, 6ins 2 x No 8's, 6 ins 2 x No 8's, ollivette. Gives a nice 34 in drop in winter and excellent control once the rig has settled. The beauty of the rig is because you are using small shot, it's easy to drag a fair bit of line along the bottom which can often sort out the bigger roach.

All rigs on winders for deep waters with connecting loop 3ft above ollivette.

Browner

Have a look at the Drake floats on the Benwick sports website they are very good quality I have a good selection of wagglers, wire stemmed sticks and avons and am very pleased with all of them, as well as doing exactly what they are meant to do they are also beautifully finished and a joy to fish with, I think they also do loafers and pacemakers.
Funny, i have just taken delivery of about a dozen loafers from Benwick. Not used them yet but look ok. I’m currently using Premier Loafers which I’m find very good. Not many companies doing them now. Not sure why. Drennan used to do a nice range. I think they were green.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Double bulk maybe like on the pole sometimes gets used. Not having all the bulk together maybe the fish dont feel so much of the bulk or maybe a slightly slower fall 🤔
It looked like two identical shotting patterns robert. I’ve never seen it used since. If I hadn’t have been a young spotty teenager at the time I’d have had the courage to ask him. John Dean was one of my idols.

Simon R

Site Supporter
The whole point of the stick float is for fishing on the drop
That's why it has a buoyant top half and a much denser bottom half - so it begins to cock as soon as it hits the water
It was originally designed for catching roach which, depending on the feed pattern, can be caught anywhere from just below the surface to hard on the deck, so it has to give you an indication as soon as it hits the water.
The buoyant top also enables you to drag a bit of line across the bottom without constantly striking at false bites.

Don't use it in a strong downstream wind, don't try and fish more than a couple of rodlengths out and always cast underarm so the whole tackle lands in a neat, straight line and is fishing for you immediately.
It's very unlikely you'll find a true Pacemaker available commercially - originally they were three-quarters balsa and a quarter cane - took more shot than an equivalent sized stick float and were (obviously) more buoyant so could be fished in deeper or faster water but were still shotted in much the same manner.

For fishing a large bulk you're better off with a balsa, Avon or a loafer - the latter two are much the same but the loafer's had it's stem amputated so it can be fished in shallower waters.

Simon

Zerkalo

I think this thread has made for some good discussion thanks to all the good replies and I learned a thing or two, now the hard part for me is applying it to my fishing when I can get back out again. I didn't realise stick floats were only for fishing on the drop so you learn something everyday!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I think this thread has made for some good discussion thanks to all the good replies and I learned a thing or two, now the hard part for me is applying it to my fishing when I can get back out again. I didn't realise stick floats were only for fishing on the drop so you learn something everyday!
"originally" for fishing on the drop

techniques and terms evolve.

gixer 13

Site Supporter
I was always led to believe the stick float was invented by benny ashurst for fishing caster on the canals in lancashire

nejohn

Site Supporter
I think it was definately Benny Ashurst that developed the stick float as we know it today, however not sure about the canal side of it I thought he developed it for fishing the Trent in the early 60's however it is possibly based on a quill and balsa pattern he developed for the canals

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I asked Benny Ashurst about the stick float on one of the many occasions I was lucky to sit with him while he was fishing the swingtip at Eccleston Mere and like a lot of things the light top/heavy bottom float was developed by several anglers mostly from the Leigh/Wigan area Billy Makins dad Wilf amongst others for fishing tight to the far side across the canal.
Benny spotted the application for fishing the rivers and developed that side of things but the match anglers of the time developed many things to try and gain an edge like the spring tip developed on the River Weaver again pioneered by Benny and he was the bait breeder who gave you the sinking caster.

Simon R

Site Supporter
I was always led to believe the stick float was invented by benny ashurst for fishing caster on the canals in lancashire
It was (y)
The first part of Chapter 4 in "Match Fishing with Benny Ashurst" is all about the stick-float - for fishing the far-bank of canals and the Trent too - although the river applications came later.

Most of my success in canal fishing has come by casting to and fishing near the far bank. And the bites have come while the bait is still falling through the water immediately after the cast. Thus I want a float that will gradually titl and settle to the pull of the shot and tell me when a fish is taking. I found the answer to be the stick float, which has proved so popular all over the country. I designed the float some 12 years ago, (book written in 1968 so 1956) when I hit on the idea that a buoyant top and a heavy base incorporated into a float would provide this pendulum action. The buoyancy of the balsa in the tip holds it up to the surface whilst the heavy cane sinks through the water in an arc. I found that high density Tonkin cane was the best material for the base.
He doesn't specifically mention caster, however he rarely fished much else - indeed he devotes six pages of the book on how the reader might go about preparing them for his own use.

Simon

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Don't take this the wrong way Zerkalo, as i do know your enthusiasm leads to you needing to understand in detail each aspect of the new things you look at. You could think about target species influencing the need your set up, rather than a want to try something influencing it. For me you have already identified one of the benefits of the bulk in terms of getting past non target species, the other of course is when Barbel are the target is that get it down and keep it simple on the outset, before tweaking float weight and depth, is the order of the day. Whilst some floats as with any kit are designed to catch just as many anglers, their weighting is their weighting and i have sticks and they are sticks to 3.5g-the weight can either be spread or bulked. The glass stem on the Drennan big sticks does suggest they are more for a bulk down stability presentation however.

You will get days where chub are present and these have a habit of feeding through various depths in a session, so the strung approach can suit these and as others have said, with smaller shot used to keep open the weight position altering options.

With where you fish Severn wise, you have some cracking water and the mix of available target species, so conditions dependent you could set your stall out for targetting species, then taking set up from there.

Zerkalo

Point taken mate. I just try to provoke discussion. I have said privately to people on here that I'm thinking about posting less in future as I don't want to clog up the forum with 'amateur' posts. But I do love to try to get people talking. I understand what's been said so far, and that different shotting patterns have different applications, but to me using a bulk shotting pattern, a bit of advice I was also given privately, has been some of the best advice I've been given based on what I've been able to put into practice. It's now up to me to try different things I guess!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Fair play, you don't clog up the forum for me mate. Hard sometimes to to start a reply off with the caveat and then during the reply to not then go the other away and appear patronising to you, the former i feel it's important to put in, but neither aspect that could be inferred are ever intended.

I for one, enjoy your questions and posts and especially the variety to them.

Zerkalo

Cheers. I think this has been one of my more successful threads! Quite a lot of info here for anyone new to stick float fishing and even a little discussion about the history of them too for good measure. (y)

richox12

I'm thinking about posting less in future as I don't want to clog up the forum with 'amateur' posts.
Post away. If you don't know the answer to something it's sensible to ask. Others don't have to read what you or I write or to respond. Their choice.

Zerkalo

Thanks! I'll take this opportunity to explain why I have found fishing bulk down to have been very useful advice I was given even if it doesn't seem very traditional.

1) Fishing fast paced rivers like the Middle Severn and a Weir I figure there is slightly less advantage to strung out pattern anyway.
2) It gets through Bleak.
3) It's very stable and direct and you can still hold back to make the bait flutter.
4) It's virtually tangle free for a beginner.

This is only based on what I've thought the few times I've tried it. I've had some good results since fishing this way but who knows if I would have caught more with a stung out rig.

Here's an opportunity to share what I've caught since I've been doing it this year.

About 4 hours on the Severn at Arley.

IMG_9846.jpeg

From the local Weir.

18lb 12oz weir.jpg

26lb14oz.jpg

From the Severn at Stourport

skimmers stourport.jpg

😁 Now lets see if I catch more next year as my skills improve and I start to string out the shot in some situations.