Would you ever shot a stick float like this?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just for curiosities sake. Say you have an 8 no 4 stick float, would you ever use a single SSG shot to cock it? Maybe with one dropper?

Personally I'd side on a bulk of no4s instead for versatilities sake but I can't see why not if using a simple bulk? I know a lot of people prefer no 8s.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
not a stick float no, for stick floats i like lots of little shots to allow me to makes changes and raise the bait if i hold back.

Bollo/chub/topper i would use a bulk but again not a single large shot

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Makes sense. How about using a bulk of smaller shot and no droppers? I've been told to fish a bulk shotting pattern when starting out and it seems to work for me, totally tangle free, and to expect sail away bites from just using a bulk?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The only time I’ve ever come close to using a heavy bulk on a stick was on the river Guden in Denmark. This was to try and get through the many tiny dace and bleak to the better Roach. Even then the blighters were still following it down. We had to fish a piece of bright Orange silicon rubber on the hook to try and keep them at bay.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Interesting! Seems like a strung out pattern is preferred in most situations. I like the stability of a bulk on my weir and on the Severn it is a case of learning the ropes, seems to cure the Bleak problem a bit too, can't wait until next season to get out and do a lot of proper stick float fishing where I'll try some proper shotting patterns other than a bulk.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Those pacemakers look good. I've got some Drennan Bobbers to try on my weir but also told they're not great floats, it will be interesting for me to try them though!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Interesting! Seems like a strung out pattern is preferred in most situations. I like the stability of a bulk on my weir and on the Severn it is a case of learning the ropes, seems to cure the Bleak problem a bit too, can't wait until next season to get out and do a lot of proper stick float fishing where I'll try some proper shotting patterns other than a bulk.
We can’t tell matey. 🤣👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Those pacemakers look good. I've got some Drennan Bobbers to try on my weir but also told they're not great floats, it will be interesting for me to try them though!
Don’t worry too much what people tell you Zerkalo. Go out there and try it for yourself. Who knows they may work perfectly for you. I once watched John Dean at North Muskam and he looked to have two independent shotting set ups on the same rig. A strung out, a gap of around 400mm then another strung out. Ain’t a clue what that was all about. I guess he was experimenting. 🤔

RMNDIL

If I had to fish a radical bulk then I wouldn't choose a Stick Float to use it with. It would be a waste of it's design& materials for me. But there's no reason why you can't. You could fish a Waggler top & bottom if you wanted to. There are no rules as such. It's whatever works in any given set of circumstances.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If I had to fish a radical bulk then I wouldn't choose a Stick Float to use it with. It would be a waste of it's design& materials for me. But there's no reason why you can't. You could fish a Waggler top & bottom if you wanted to. There are no rules as such. It's whatever works in any given set of circumstances.

Seems like sound advice but I don't quite follow. :unsure: I don't tend to fish a stick float on the drop so to speak so a bulk has got my bait down to the bottom nice and quick, cocks the float quickly and you can still hold back, sorry for the basic question.

nejohn

Site Supporter
If I needed bulk down the line I think I would probably go for a more buoyant type of float than a stick float maybe an Avon, Pacemaker, Chubber etc as it kind of defeats the object of the stickfloat

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I know Loafers and have a single old Top and Bottom Balsa float from years ago but did have to google Pacemakers! :LOL:
I am in the process of making some 'traditional' wagglers, sticks and balsa's. Once they're finished I will send you a set mate. Probably be ready for the start of the new river season.👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is my shotting pattern I've used so far on the right to reasonable success, found it very simple, direct and tangle free but do want to use a strung out pattern when I get back out.

Shotting-Patterns-For-Flowing-Water-zpsc53eac99.gif

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
Where I differ. I'd have my Daiwa Spectron 13' stick float rod set up with say something like a 6x4 John Allerton alloy with strung out shot of 5 no4 and two droppers. Then on my Daiwa Aqualite 13' float rod I'd have the same float on but shot with either bulk no4 or an olivette. Switching between the two rods...