Would you book a foreign holiday in 2022?

Tristar

Site Supporter
I'm wondering what the views of people on here on booking a holiday abroad in 2022? I'm getting so many mixed messages . I'm just wondering if anyone would feel confident on booking a foreign family holiday and would you book one? I have a lot of friends that have had their careers ended including myself or put on hold due to Covid but I'm seeing the adverts on TV for booking foreign travel.

I'm just wondering if anyone would book one? We looked at a bargain holiday for May or September 2022 in Ibiza with the children, on site water park, all Inclusive etc. Partner has said we need to treat ourselves with my redundancy so I was thinking, holiday with all the kids, a decent second hand Civic or a MAP 501?

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I would go for the car, if there is enough left over a long weekend, week staycation, abroad possibly to early for me. Pole in my dreams lol

Truly

Site Supporter
There are simply too many potential variables, so impossible to make a reasoned judgement. Actions of both UK and foreign goverments are unknowable, as is the course the virus may take.
Potential costs emanating from testing and/or isolation in hotels etc. may cost a family several thousand pounds, if unlucky.

A friend has just had his cruise cancelled for the third time. He has given up and now waiting for his money back.

I have better things to do with my cash, than take this gamble, as matters stand at present and for the forseeable future.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Not for me until I can see the world getting back to normality, this is not just based on getting an infection but also what type of holiday would it be with restrictions on what you can do, where you can go and who you can mix with, for me a holiday is not about laying on the beach or by the pool so currently there are to many restrictions in place for me to have an enjoyable holiday.
However I can see lots of people going as because of the profiteering of the majority of the UK tourist industry this year, people will have no motivation to stay at home. It's a classic case of greed today causing a decline in the industry in the future. I am a regular visitor to the west coast of Scotland with work and usually stay on the coast (around the Troon area) hotels that normally charge around £90 per night are now charging upwards of £150 per night. This is not just confined to that area, my brother normally goes to Cornwall in a cottage for a week in the summer ( creature of habit, same cottage every year) he normally pays about £800-£1000 for the week depending on when he goes, he was quoted £4500 for a week this year.

lliopp

Site Supporter
Not at the moment. I don't want to have to jump through hoops to end up staying somewhere that still has restrictions.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem is it is drummed in us that we need to take a holiday abroad each year. Christmas is hardly over when the holiday adverts start filling the screens, there's a kind of one-upmanship as to where you go and the type of holiday you spend your hard-earned on, and once that week, ten days, fortnight is over what do you have to show for it apart from a suntan and a few vouchers off next year's if you book early.

As nejohn posted, the UK holiday industry hasn't done itself any favours either with profiteering as all that has done is set the benchmark across the board and people will compare a holiday with guaranteed sun against what could be a wet week in the UK with soggy sandwiches and a cup of Earl Grey.

We all like to have a break, a bit of time away, but putting it into perspective it's not the be-all and end-all.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
The problem is it is drummed in us that we need to take a holiday abroad each year. Christmas is hardly over when the holiday adverts start filling the screens, there's a kind of one-upmanship as to where you go and the type of holiday you spend your hard-earned on, and once that week, ten days, fortnight is over what do you have to show for it apart from a suntan and a few vouchers off next year's if you book early.

As nejohn posted, the UK holiday industry hasn't done itself any favours either with profiteering as all that has done is set the benchmark across the board and people will compare a holiday with guaranteed sun against what could be a wet week in the UK with soggy sandwiches and a cup of Earl Grey.

We all like to have a break, a bit of time away, but putting it into perspective it's not the be-all and end-all.
What he said.

squimp

Site Supporter
Yes. I’ve already got a long haul fishing trip booked - held over from 2020 to 2021 and now to 2022.

I may well even book a foreign fishing trip in late 2021. I nearly booked a last minute trip to Iceland this week (a cancellation offer, but somebody else got in first).

Any further booking will depend on the rules (both ends!).
The flight cost/availability.
My fishing mates‘ availability -he’s currently stuck in Russia managing a salmon river with no clients !

This year, I’ll only book at the last minute - to minimise the chance of anymore rule changes.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not at the moment I’m waiting to see if things go balls up in the winter again first. If it’s looking promising by around Christmas I’ll definitely be doing so.

Expanda

Travel insurance is another factor. Because of age and the odd medical problem it was beginning to creep up before Covid it will probably be prohibitive now. Apart from that, I can't imagine being crammed on a plane with a couple of hundred of people.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Wont travel any further than the Isle of Man, or possibly Southern Ireland.
As to any further NO NO NO

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Ohh yes! We have been trying to get to Croatia for nigh on 2 years now. I have been a few times but Mrs M has yet to visit. Both of us have been double jabbed so I see no reason why we should not go.... The plan is to start in Zagreb and spend a month travelling down to Dubrovnik. A good friend of mine is the head of tourism in Split so we will be spending a week or so there.
Let us just hope China do not release another virus upon the global populous in the meantime...

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
No, but then I have never really been a foriegn traveller

the odd trip to france, belgium or holland is, or was quite acceptable, mainly as it was really cheap, because we either stayed with friends or in the wenches cousins apartment in the south of france (plenty warm enough)

but further, especially if it required boarding a plane, I dont think we will ever do that again,

is th Isle of Wight abroad ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I'm wondering what the views of people on here on booking a holiday abroad in 2022? I'm getting so many mixed messages . I'm just wondering if anyone would feel confident on booking a foreign family holiday and would you book one? I have a lot of friends that have had their careers ended including myself or put on hold due to Covid but I'm seeing the adverts on TV for booking foreign travel.

I'm just wondering if anyone would book one? We looked at a bargain holiday for May or September 2022 in Ibiza with the children, on site water park, all Inclusive etc. Partner has said we need to treat ourselves with my redundancy so I was thinking, holiday with all the kids, a decent second hand Civic or a MAP 501?
Id wait until much closer to the time and see how my finances and the dreaded virus pan out

Whisker

Site Supporter
As much as we like going abroad, we’re not that desperate. Risk of holiday cancellation or getting stranded out there, restrictions and possible self isolating on your return… as well as getting mugged off by the tourist operator before you even step on the plane… nah, not yet thanks.

Pyffy

Site Supporter
Yes we would go and yes we have booked. As my wife's a teacher we have to book well in advance to get the better deals during school holiday times, we can't rely on last minute dot com. Because of the pandemic we had 2 holidays to the USA refunded last year and one postponed from August to this year. This holiday, to Cyprus, we have now postponed until August 2022. At Christmas we booked to go to Greece in the October half term this year and if that doesn't happen we will postpone that also, although we already have that week booked in Corfu for 2022. I am no more worried about catching Covid on foreign shores as I am here in the UK. If the jabs don't work, we are all FUBARed anyways.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Certainly looking at it. Canaries in May then Greek Islands in September. All depends on what happens in the next 6 months regarding Covid. Getting back to normal means just that for us.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Don’t do foreign summer holidays, but do like a bit of skiing. Obviously didn’t go this year, in two minds for next year at the moment. But you are mainly out in the fresh air and not so many people, so may do a last minute booking.