Would anyone mind explaining poles to me?

MartinWY

Site Supporter
If you want to land the 20lb ers i would have at least a 10lb hook length and a 20 plus elastic set loose so it just returns in the pole but will power up quickly. The tri cast will handle it ,just take your time dont be in a rush and keep your pole low to the water even in the water and if its swimming away do not try to use any puller ,wait until it stops swimming away then start using the side or puller bung when you have got the pole back to the top kit . Be as smooth as possible and take a spare pair of under crackers just incase you hook into the beast lol

Alright, I hope that doesn't happen on a pole but I'll try to remember. My main goal is just to make sure I dont have a repeat of yesterday, ever.

Does your Tricast have a side puller or bung type bud?

I can't find information on the Browning at all, it just says SLKP top kits and theres nothing on the browning site except to say "some kits have side pullers"...useful

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Alright, I hope that doesn't happen on a pole but I'll try to remember. My main goal is just to make sure I dont have a repeat of yesterday, ever.

I can't find information on the Browning at all, it just says SLKP top kits and theres nothing on the browning site except to say "some kits have side pullers"...useful
The browning does have side pullers , hopefully after this thread you’ll have a better insight into poles?Remember though although margin poles are bullet proof on fish, they still have to be handled with care, and looked after and treated sensibley

Last edited:

MartinWY

Site Supporter
One thing I have universally noticed to be true since replacing all my tackle is that manufacturer provided information is generally lacking in all things fishing. Quite frustrating.

Thanks chefster, I just dont understand why browning dont say it themselves.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter

I use puller bungs in my margin , kelv on here has had the browning margin pole ,hes also on facebook ,look for browning poles on there for more . info. My opinion is puller bungs are better and stronger for margin fishing . I use side pullers in tri cast 16m pole ,most people use side pullers in their poles . I just believe puller bungs are better because you have an even pressure on your topkit where as side pullers have a hole drilled out or slot making it a little weaker . So for me puller bungs for margin fishing and side pullers for anything away from margins .

robert d

Site Supporter
One thing I have universally noticed to be true since replacing all my tackle is that manufacturer provided information is generally lacking in all things fishing. Quite frustrating.

Thanks chefster, I just dont understand why browning dont say it themselves.
For any pole youtube is your friend ,you can see virtually any pole and the specification.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
For any pole youtube is your friend ,you can see virtually any pole and the specification.

Except the browning xitan margin apparently :(

I mean...just look at this for a £3,000 pole. I can't stop chuckling to myself at how bad it is for such a big company. :ROFLMAO:

robert d

Site Supporter
Except the browning xitan margin apparently :(

I mean...just look at this for a £3,000 pole. I can't stop chuckling to myself at how bad it is for such a big company. :ROFLMAO:

Very vague ,i had the z92 browning ,excellent pole it had 2 holes for side pullers, one a slot . I loved the square butts very nice to hold and strong pole. I now have the excellence 980 from tri cast another strong excellent pole ,i had to have the holes drilled for that .

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Very vague ,i had the z92 browning ,excellent pole it had 2 holes for side pullers, one a slot . I loved the square butts very nice to hold and strong pole. I now have the excellence 980 from tri cast another strong excellent pole ,i had to have the holes drilled for that .

I think the xitan is round section.

One of the big issues Im having is stock. Seems thin on the ground for almost everything. I've found a tricast excellence in stock but its a fair drive away. I dont fancy getting something like this mail order even though it would probably be fine.

Added the Drennan Acolyte to the list now and it comes with 3 top kits vs. 2 on the Browning (used to be 3) and 1 on the tricast. I'm just not sure whether I really need those.

Anyway I do appreciate all the effort you've all gone to to help. I'll get there :D

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I think the stock situation is because of the huge reduction in shipping due to the dreaded virus. There seem to be shortages of rods too.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
I think the stock situation is because of the huge reduction in shipping due to the dreaded virus. There seem to be shortages of rods too.

Aye. Certainly shows what we rely on China for. Theres a shortage of all sorts, even outside of fishing. This is going to take a while to sort out. I worry for my lad.

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Just as a final update. I went to Bobco today and tried a few different models. Ended up with the xitan 9.5. I also got to hold a browning sphere which felt almost surreal as it was so light compared to some of the cheaper ones, but so it should for £5k or whatever.

For anyone else in the future, the Xitan margin xtreme comes with 3 top kits, 2 have reinforcement for side pullers and the other is standard without reinforcement. Side pullers are not pre-fitted and drilling is required.

robert d

Site Supporter
Just as a final update. I went to Bobco today and tried a few different models. Ended up with the xitan 9.5. I also got to hold a browning sphere which felt almost surreal as it was so light compared to some of the cheaper ones, but so it should for £5k or whatever.

For anyone else in the future, the Xitan margin xtreme comes with 3 top kits, 2 have reinforcement for side pullers and the other is standard without reinforcement. Side pullers are not pre-fitted and drilling is required.
Yes i had the xitan extreme margin very good pole ,every section swaps over on z92 and all other xitan poles i believe

robert d

Site Supporter
The tri cast will handle almost anything in the right hands , but Neil is right if there were lots of 20lb fish a rod would be better . You need to get the ballance right ,right size elastic ,right size line ,right size and strong hook for those lumps .
There is a post on maggotdrowmers of someone who has caught 40lb carp in France on the tri cast margin xrs and 30lb ers