Worst conditions

Dusty

What do you seen to be the worst weather to fish in?
For me it has to be strong wind, I’ve sat today and been close to pulling my nets in and going home today.
It was almost impossible to present a bait well, I would rather it be pissing it down personally.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Remember ice breaking a canal a few times and not catching anything.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I don’t bother with some waters unless there’s a gale blowing on them. So long as I can fish a feeder that is. No fun with a pole,I admit.
My least favourite conditions is bright sunshine after a sharp frost. Better off staying in bed most times.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Absolutely hate wind. Starts to become a pain when starts blowing over 10mph and if it's showing over 15mph on the forecast I just won't go unless it's a venue I've particularly travelled for so don't have much choice. Just makes everything difficult plus it's pretty uncomfortable when it gets strong. Aside from that nothing much bothers me, if it's fairly still I'll put up with all the but hottest, coldest or wettest days.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'm not bothered about the weather to be honest. Yes, I hate breaking ice, but when fishing winter leagues it's what had to be done at times. Strong winds I used to use a heavier feeder than normal so the wind didn't take it too far out of my peg, Snow/hail I just put a brolly up.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Strong Wind = Annoying. Strong Wind + Freezing = I'm going home.

Love fishing in the rain.

^ ^ ^ What he said.
Don't mind the rain myself as long as I can put a brolly up & haven't lost the bracket (referred to in Where you Fished Today)

nejohn

Site Supporter
Not to keen on strong winds, just makes everything difficult, now getting older and with a very arthritic knee the cold damp can also be not pleasant, tend to do short sessions in the winter and keep on the move

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was working on a roof/scaffold today with another lad putting a new roof on and the wind was that strong I nearly had to put concrete blocks in my turnups to stop blowing away :D

Wise Owl

Account Locked
A few years back the only place with a sunday Open fishing match was Lindholme due to freezing weather, Neil had dug Channels into the ice so we could fish, it was 3-5 inch thick in places, me and Uncle Knobhead attended and ive honestly never been as cold in my life, sat inbetween the ice Neil had pulled out and the wind was horrible must have been mad.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I will endure far worse conditions salt water angling than I will on fresh

there have been times down the beach in midwinter after the cod when the line has frozen to the rings and the only bit of warmth has been off a tilly lamp huddling in the beach buddy,

fishing winter leagues often required breaking ice, sometimes up to 50mm or so thick, that day my 7lb club hammer head ice breaker just bounced off, it took a 15lb lump of canned concrete to even dent the covering, and a good hour sawing the chain through to create a peg, sometimes I questioned my sanity fishing those gigs

wind, well that depends on the direction, if its off my back or shoulder, its not to bad, but wind with rain blowing straight into your face has got to be the most miserable time in fishing

fog is strange, that thick stuff where you can hardly see the float at 9-10 metres, and you here ghostly voices around the lake,

Paul.P

love the wind, especially if its a warm one, always stirs the water & makes the fish feed !

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm told on the lake I fished today (for Bream) still and bright can be the worst for it, like there's no fish in there.

Dusty

I'm told on the lake I fished today (for Bream) still and bright can be the worst for it, like there's no fish in there.

I think as a rule in general bream dislike hot sunny days.
If I’m fishing go Bream I prefer an overcast day, South westerly wind helps.