Worried or not?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Do you think our carp lakes will be the next big problem anglers face? I'm talking about a form of fish disease, or pollution that will be caused I believe, by all the bait and leads going in over time.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I read somewhere in the angling press a few years of a commercial (mainly) carp fishery somewhere that netted the lake before draining it. The bed was one huge area of stinking rotting meat. I believe that when it was a cleaned up refilled and re-stocked meat was banned.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Yes we had the same on one of our club pools and we had to dredge the entire pool out of rotting meat and fish.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I believe that's one of the causes of bait bans/limitations, I could be wrong though but seems logical to me.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I read somewhere in the angling press a few years of a commercial (mainly) carp fishery somewhere that netted the lake before draining it. The bed was one huge area of stinking rotting meat. I believe that when it was a cleaned up refilled and re-stocked meat was banned.
?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Decoy banned meat because people were feeding stupid amounts. I heard tell that anglers were turning up with a washing up bowl full.

The more immediate issue though is the size of fish. We cannot keep increasing the strength of tackle and so difficult decisions will have to be taken with regards to the larger specimens.

rudd

Site Supporter
Do you think our carp lakes will be the next big problem anglers face? I'm talking about a form of fish disease, or pollution that will be caused I believe, by all the bait and leads going in over time.
Anglers not drying equipment is a bigger threat by transferring disease between venues.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Local Canterbury club had a similar problem on a group of thier waters

fish were dying and the reason for it was found to be the use of Hi-oil pellets poisoning the water with thier residues

the EA and some scientists performed tests on the fish and confirmed the above

since then there has been a blanket ban on all Hi-oil feeds on all the clubs waters

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Decoy banned meat because people were feeding stupid amounts. I heard tell that anglers were turning up with a washing up bowl full.

The more immediate issue though is the size of fish. We cannot keep increasing the strength of tackle and so difficult decisions will have to be taken with regards to the larger specimens.
Some of the big carp caught look so overweight and unhealthy. All of that overfeeding must take its toll..

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
That’s probably the reason behind the f1

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
The Local Canterbury club had a similar problem on a group of thier waters

fish were dying and the reason for it was found to be the use of Hi-oil pellets poisoning the water with thier residues

the EA and some scientists performed tests on the fish and confirmed the above

since then there has been a blanket ban on all Hi-oil feeds on all the clubs waters

Surely though that has ben known since we started to use pellets for carp. Hence there are pellets designed for coarse fish as opposed to the high oil ones used for trout & salmon and to some extent fishery own pellets.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Surely though that has ben known since we started to use pellets for carp. Hence there are pellets designed for coarse fish as opposed to the high oil ones used for trout & salmon and to some extent fishery own pellets.

it wasnt quite understood to the extent it is now

in the case quoted, anglers found that the hi-oil feed and hook pellets improved thier catches and as in the normal sceme of things the use of them balooned

it took a while for the reason to become clear as to the reason why the waters were becoming toxic and a few visits by the EA and sampling to prove the case

since then the rules changed and the three lakes that were suffering the most (the bekesbourne complex) have seen far better water quality

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
There is a general rule of thumb behind hi oil pellets... not to be fed after october... the oils cannot be safely digested in colder weather... its not good for their digestion, nor can they metabolise the oils safely... again using them too early has a detrimental effect... not before April when the waters start to warm up

Zerkalo

Wasn't there a news article about an new invasive type of Crayfish the other day? That would be a worry for me having caught 2 Signal Crayfish at the weekend. Proper big ones as well that registered a bite on the tip. Most of the commercials I fish are quite well managed but that does not mean a disease could come along.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
There is a general rule of thumb behind hi oil pellets... not to be fed after october... the oils cannot be safely digested in colder weather... its not good for their digestion, nor can they metabolise the oils safely... again using them too early has a detrimental effect... not before April when the waters start to warm up

blanket ban Harry, on all association waters,

baliff will check too

Rick123

Site Supporter
I started this thread because most of the commercial waters I fish in, are disgusting. Stir up the bottom and its a cloud of gooey mess. I can see wholesale fish treatments being used in the future (like salmon farms) to make fish resistant to disease, maybe another cost for us to bare? Or maybe they will have to have a more all round fishery, with less big carp, and more silvers, thoughts on that?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I believe one of the problems is the lack of eels. Fish are dying all the time, quite naturally, and most fall to the bottom. Eels used to devour them. Now most must just slowly, very slowly, rot away, leaving some sort of residue.

Also, what goes in one end of a fish must come out the other end and I saw, when Decoy was last dredged, there was several feet of horrible, black, slimy sludge in places.

In a river this is washed out to sea eventually. And if it isn't the movement of rivers will increase the oxygen allowing bacteria to devour it more quickly. But on commercials it needs taking out. So yes, a lot of commercials will be suffering, and the hotter our Summers get the more fish will be willing to eat, the bigger they will grow, and the more problems waters will face unless they are managed properly.

But I have no reason to suppose that the chance of a nationwide epidemic is disease is greater now than it has been in the past, particularly if anglers dip their nets when required.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I see quite a few commies now bar meat (Alders being one). Local one by me has also banned bread.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Mike. I fish a well know water that has good rules I think. But you never have a bailiff check anything, and thats a shame with what I've witnessed over time. I hate mistreatment of any fish at any time.