Worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian White

Big E
Can anyone give me any tips on keeping worms alive
as i dont have much luck keeping them alive for longer that a week or so.
ALL THE BEST
Ian White

les middy

'Navigator'
Ian

keep cool NOT COLD in a shed or garage and feed once a week with a spoon full of mashed potato also chuck a couple of used tea bags in as well

i've kept worms for 3/4 months like this

les

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Lid

Yup agree with the temperature. About 8 degrees is ideals, but lobs need different soil and feed then dendrobaenas and reds.

Dendros (and reds I think) will live in compost with horse poo or mashed spud as food.

Lobs are better off eating dried leaves or shredded newspaper. I'll find some links and put them here in a mo :

Try this for lobs :

http://www.angling-plus.freeserve.co.uk/Bait_article%2028%20dec%202001.htm

and this for Dendros :

http://www.braddocksbaits.co.uk/dendrobaenas.html

Last edited:

Steve

Worms can tolerate most reasonable temperatures but they cannot stand rapid rates of change. In the winter as has been said I keep mine in the garage in a tub.

In the summer I sink a plastic container in the ground in a shady spot that is about a foot square and leave the top 2" above the ground. Put plenty of air holes in the lid and keep the soil moist. I use a 50/50 mix of sifted garden soil and peat.

Look at them once a week and spray the soil with rain water if the soil looks a bit dry. Do not just feed them when you think they might need some. Only feed when you see a worm or two on the surface, this is when they are in search of food.

Feed mashed potato in small quantities, a ball a bit smaller than a golf ball at a time.

Take out 50% of the soil once a month and replace with the mixture and stir in.

I have kept worms alive and well for over six months using these methods. Come to think of it I'm not sure how long I have had my current lot, some of them are likely to be over a year old now.

Hope that helps.

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

Polepot

Poles
I just have a Plastic Dustbin in the garden which has had an ongoing worm culture for 18 months - all I do is add Tea bags, Egg Shells, and general vegeatable waste. It has always provided me with a pleantyful supply of worms - the red ones Den....I think.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
I'll have a word with the wife she's had worms for years

Stu
***L.U.F.C.***

angler-mark

Ian, I use a lot of worms and keep mine in tubs in the garage which is cool. I also feed mine with mashed potato and the odd teabag as others have already told you about. I'm still using worms that I got bought last year because they do breed and all I do is keep the new ones in a tub and feed them until they are big enough to use. I keep mine in Tomato Grow bag compost, which needs to be kept damp but not soaking wet. [:)][:)][:)]

Tight Lines

Mark

martin.

Account Locked
hi
stu
do you use them worms for crab fishing as i was told youve had crabs a few times (or was it youve caught a few Crabs in your time)im hopeless at remembering this time on a sat morn.
ian
please could you let us knowb what type of worms, as red, brandlings,dendros &lobs all req a different way to keep

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

everyready

i keeped about 1500 dendros 200 lobs in 50/peat dirt mix in a five gallon kitching bin keeped in the shade feeding on mash .dendros keeped till all used up but lobs did not stay firm. tryed puting kitching waste in and found it hard to get worms out as mixed with waste

Status
Not open for further replies.