worms

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Worm and caster slop , brilliant F1, spring and summer bait, fished up in the water or over mudline or down the edge...Also a couple of big dendras over G/B, are an excellent margin target bait for carp

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Does anyone else fish just off the bottom when margin fishing with worms for Carp or is that just me?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Does anyone else fish just off the bottom when margin fishing with worms for Carp or is that just me?

I usually fish them dead depth when waggler fishing. Chopped with caster in the groundbait when feeder fishing with a dendro tail and a red maggot on the hook.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I tried Sonubaits Worm Groundbait over Winter, jury is out as to whether it worked any better than their F1 Fishmeal groundbaits though.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ive watched the fluff chuckers struggle to get a brace of idiot stockie rainbows on their stretch of the local chalk stream

where a free lined lobbie will easily catch half dozen or more plate sized eating fish

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Not tried that, but I do sometimes use Bait-Tech liquid worm in my ground bait. It all depends what I'm targeting but it does work well for Bream and seems to bring in a better stamp of Roach.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I tried Sonubaits Worm Groundbait over Winter, jury is out as to whether it worked any better than their F1 Fishmeal groundbaits though.
It is the best groundbait for this type of fishing in my mind. Posted this on here before but after watching lee kerry mix the stuff correctly I transformed my bream catches. In one club season of 10 matches I won using it on the Trent mixed with marine halibut groundbait, in the feeder on Southfield res, polefished on the Bargate drain for tench, on the pole on the stainforth keady canal for bream and at caistor lakes sprinkled over wet pellets for bream and tench. I also had wins on my local lake during Knockups. Not sure if there is a sonubaits mixing guide on the net but if I can find one...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It is the best groundbait for this type of fishing in my mind. Posted this on here before but after watching lee kerry mix the stuff correctly I transformed my bream catches. In one club season of 10 matches I won using it on the Trent mixed with marine halibut groundbait, in the feeder on Southfield res, polefished on the Bargate drain for tench, on the pole on the stainforth keady canal for bream and at caistor lakes sprinkled over wet pellets for bream and tench. I also had wins on my local lake during Knockups. Not sure if there is a sonubaits mixing guide on the net but if I can find one...

I think it was your post on here that recommended it to me in the first place mate so thank you. I had some good days using it so going to add it to my Bream mix later this year at Patshull.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
I think it was your post on here that recommended it to me in the first place mate so thank you. I had some good days using it so going to add it to my Bream mix later this year at Patshull.
You are welcome, on carp waters I found the bloodworm one to be more effective. Horses for courses though as I cannot get on with green swimstim

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You are welcome, on carp waters I found the bloodworm one to be more effective. Horses for courses though as I cannot get on with green swimstim

Never tried Swim Stim but I was using the Worm groundbait on a mixed commercial, Furnace Mill, where I'd caught some big Perch and Bream too and found it effective. But then again Sonubaits F1 Green was good there too.

Have you ever tried (Sonubaits) Bloodworm Pellets? Any thoughts on those? I tried them on my Bream water, Patshull Park, but found Coppens to be more effective. I could not be sure if it was because the fish weren't used to them, I just wasn't on the fish that day, or they were preoccupied with them, as I expected them to be deadly.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Never tried Swim Stim but I was using the Worm groundbait on a mixed commercial, Furnace Mill, where I'd caught some big Perch and Bream too and found it effective. But then again Sonubaits F1 Green was good there too.

Have you ever tried (Sonubaits) Bloodworm Pellets? Any thoughts on those? I tried them on my Bream water, Patshull Park, but found Coppens to be more effective. I could not be sure if it was because the fish weren't used to them, I just wasn't on the fish that day, or they were preoccupied with them, as I expected them to be deadly.
Again it could be me but I have never had success on shop bought flavoured pellet. Unlike the groundbait that fizzes when the oils release flavoured pellets dont seem to react. Therefore I stick to good old plain ones.

squimp

Site Supporter

I have caught several very big tench by fishing lob worms suspended above weedbeds. I use a variation of a pike fishing rig called the ‘Dyson rig’. It sounds mad but it works. They hoover it up.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have caught several very big tench by fishing lob worms suspended above weedbeds. I use a variation of a pike fishing rig called the ‘Dyson rig’. It sounds mad but it works. They hoover it up.

If it wasn't for lockdown, me and @bezzer would probably both be fishing Napton Reservoir for Tench at the moment. I was going to try a helicopter rig there and reckon you could get a similar suspension effect with that?

bezzer

If it wasn't for lockdown, me and @bezzer would probably both be fishing Napton Reservoir for Tench at the moment. I was going to try a helicopter rig there and reckon you could get a similar suspension effect with that?

Yep, we'd have had a few sessions there by now :(

I've only fished a helicopter rig once at Napton, I used corn and/or maggot on the hook. Tend to fish worm on a longer tail.
But definitely something to experiment with.

squimp

Site Supporter

My Dyson rig effectively lowers the worm down towards the weed from above. I’m talking about serious weed as in 2 or 3 feet thick.

if you try and do the same thing with a helicopter rig you are working from the bottom up - and that is where the weed is. It would work over thin weed Especially if you ‘junkied’ the worm to make it semi buoyant. But you would struggle over thick stuff.

Total

Site Supporter
Generally like to fish worm after most fish have spawned or when it looks like the weather may be on the change, early Autumn....

2lbRoach2hand

Worms are a funny bait, some days they are amazing and others they put the fish right off! - I always take some with me - mostly dendras but if I can get my hands on some proper redworm for hookbait, even better. A lot of my fishing revolves around the big Loughs in Ireland. A common myth is that you need worms. As I have said through, the amount of times they have outscored other baits is probably small. I usually fish two feeder lines - I'll start my close line by introducing groundbait, dead maggots and casters then leave it and start on my long line with a window and chopped worm with a few casters and one or two small worms on the hook with regular casting every two mins to try and build the line. There has been many times when this hasn't been great and by simply changing to groundbait/Maggot/caster with either Maggot/Pinkie/Corn as hookbait, this has changed the swim instantly.

But - there are those rare days when the worm will outscore everything else! Rather have them and not need them than not have them I suppose!

Millers Thumb

Site Supporter
Wouldnt be without worms on a bream session, a close 2nd would be either ...caster, dead reds and corn, i always take all 4.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
A couple of stunned dendras, once hooked slap them on the water a couple of times, over loose groundbait down the edge for carp, F1's and bream.
I dont like to feed finely chopped worm mush, l find it brings in the micro perch. If l chop them l like to leave 1/2 inch long segments.