worms

stevierhino

if there's one bait i don't have a lot of luck with it's worms.either float fished or ledgered.theres only 1 session i remember where i did managed to catch on them and that was at knaresborough on the river nidd some years back when 5 eels went into the net.apart from that i can't remember an outing since then when i've hit anything and i do take them now and again.my local tackle dealer does a 1/4 kilo tub of dendras for a fiver and i've even tried red worm but still no luck.anybody swear by them?:(

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Only use them with Casters on winter Matches, and like you unless on the River with Lobbies i have no joy.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Still one of my favourite baits and for many seasons my go to for most of my pool sessions was float fished worm/corn combo over pigeon conditioner feed.
Never go on the river without any as they can be savers on really hard days (plus the Severn has a large Perch pop again now (y))

Dusty

One of them baits that although many anglers swear by them I have absolutely no confidence using them.
I can genuinely count on one hand the amount of fish I’ve caught using worms and most sessions I’ve used them have resulted in blanks.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve never had any luck on worms. Just the odd perch and even then nothing huge.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Am I reading this right? Chopped worm is a must for bream, tench and perch. My improvement in my fishing club was due to this bait. Either the tail of a dendra on the hook and chopped worm introduced via a tosspot or chopped worm and caster in a little groundbait and laying on/legered full worm with the ends nipped.:eek:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I was actually going to start a thread on worms in light of them potentially becoming key if there’s an initial maggot and caster shortage when things open up as I don’t have enough frozen bait to last all that long. I’ve only used them occasionally and have caught but don’t really know what to do with them properly.

The match boys catch plenty of bream and perch on them out the Thames just like you would on maggot so I’m thinking like inch sections on a 14 hook on the feeder would be the way to go?

alsur

Site Supporter
One of may favourite baits and have found them good with carp and F1 especially when bites drop off on pellets even use them with method. On float I only tend to use them with chopped worm and caster or sometime down the edge.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My favourite Bream bait. Helps you avoid getting bitted out.

Also for Chub, Perch and Bream on my weir. Also like using them on commercials as a change bait.

2019-09-02 19.02.26.jpg

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Chop worms into small segments and loosely cover with water, this will be your feed. If targetting bream drop an pinch of worm into your groundbait and either make a small ball or push into a feeder. Put a worm tail on the hook and wait for the worm juices to work. A bit like a rbby dubby when shark fishing. Hope this helps.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
Ps. A few casters in the mix work well too but I have found that catapulting loose casters over the top when pole/float fishing draws the bream in. This in my mind is down to the noise they make. You can always then try them on the hook for change bait.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Got to be careful with chopped worm at Patshull as it can bring the little Perch in.