Worms not happy in wormery

markyboy

Hoping this post is in the right section. I started a wormery 5 weeks ago using a kilo of dendras and many on line tutorials. The worms are all alive and well but every time I put them in the dark a lot start crawling up the sides and trying to escape through the air holes. Any idea why this might be? I used some top grade topsoil plus the soil the worms arrived in along with wet newspaper, some used teabags, some potato peelings to start and have added only teabags and wet newspaper since. the wormery currently sits outside under my porch light so they don't do a runner over night. Any help/advice would be most welcome?

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
When I first started a wormery, with dendrobaena worms left over from fishing, I found the same. They didn't seem to be happy in the wormery, so I fitted a light to shine on the wormery day & night, they back away from light so they had to stay put.
After about a week they had established themselves in the wormery and stayed quite content without the light.
Hope this helps.
p.s. Cut a banana lengthwise, skin and all, and give them that. :upthumb:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I tried a wormery put it in the shade ,fed them ,made sure soil was damp put cardboard in ,was in my garage , left them a few days and the all went on holiday and never came back .
Hoping this post is in the right section. I started a wormery 5 weeks ago using a kilo of dendras and many on line tutorials. The worms are all alive and well but every time I put them in the dark a lot start crawling up the sides and trying to escape through the air holes. Any idea why this might be? I used some top grade topsoil plus the soil the worms arrived in along with wet newspaper, some used teabags, some potato peelings to start and have added only teabags and wet newspaper since. the wormery currently sits outside under my porch light so they don't do a runner over night. Any help/advice would be most welcome?

John Step

Site Supporter
Red worms are the way to go. Breed like rabbits . A few will spread their wings but zillions will remain behind.
I dont use any soil, just green waste, peelings. banana skins, tea bags and a little cardboard etc. Keep them moist.
They catch just as well as dendras.

nortchul

I filled mine with well rotted horse manure.
This kept them well fed for about 6-8 weeks.
After that they got a good dusting with ground layers mash dampened and covered with newspaper.
Still going strong nearly 2 years, had to start a second bin last summer.

Rick123

Site Supporter
This year I simply wanted to keep what I had in good nick. I put mine in a 3 lite bucket with holes in the top like for maggots. Feed them cucumber and kept it in the garage all winter. We'll the buggers have gone crazy, breeding and the tub is now full and overflowing. I must take a load fishing next time out. I think they thrive on a bit of neglect, provided they are in damp sole, not wet, and have some food, cucumber they love and it goes, they look after themselves. Every time I try to be too fussy and breed them, its a disaster?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Sorry I did not answer your question, DAMP. Damp up the sides will make them crawl out, don't spray water in. mix it with fresh soil and put water it in that way. You also have too many holes. You only need a few at the top, then they cannot get out being upside down. They do not require light only air, damp soil will cause condensation then they are on the move. Maybe your soil is a bit too wet Mark?

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I keep my worms at the allotment - they prefer Newcastle Brown and ham sandwiches - or so I tell the wife.

PS - I have a deal with the local cardboard box makers - he brings me a couple of bags of cut-out stampings to put it - they do like that. Not tried layers mash.

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
The reason why the worms are leaving is there is no instant food, teabags are not really food they are more like a roughage the worms like to eat to help digestine ,bit like sharp sand or ground eggshells, , potato skins are to solid for the worms to eat ,they need to rot down for a few weeks for the worms to be able to feed on them.
You also need something quite firm on the top of the soil/shredded newspaper/food, something like a bit of old carpet or 4 or 5 sheets of wetted newspaper laid flat. they will feel more protected and are easier to gather when required.
Boil the potato peelings so they are near enough squidgy ,they will be able to eat them straight away then, very soft vegetable matter, like lettuce, pear and apple peel.
you are definitely loosing them due to lack of inedible food. once you have enough really soft food in there for them to eat ,then you can put raw potato peeling ,cabbage storks, cauliflower stork, carrot peeling, just remember they need to rot down for a few weeks before the worms can eat them, always ensure something is cooked soft or rotten for them to feed on.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My dad takes care of our new wormery and not sure what he's done but not had this problem. What he does say is that whenever he takes the lid off to get a few out, he has to be quick as they all go down into the bottom section to escape the light.

SeanB

Site Supporter
My dad takes care of our new wormery and not sure what he's done but not had this problem. What he does say is that whenever he takes the lid off to get a few out, he has to be quick as they all go down into the bottom section to escape the light.
That's easy to fix, tell him to pick them out at night lol 🌃😂

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I have 3 compost bins on the go - one I always keep on the go for worms - another just emptied and a 3rd with some rough old stuff covered by a rug. Imagine my surprise yeasterday, when I lifted the carpet/rug - to be encountered by about 6 fluffy brown animals darting about. Mice with very little tails, and I imediately recognised them as shrews - must get a photograph tomorrow.