Wormery Problem.

tikkaman

I bought a wormery 3yrs ago, set it up as per instruction & everything was great, I was overrun with worms & they were breeding. The wormery is kept in a potting shed, with all my pots , plants etc. Last winter, for reasons unknown to me, all the worms died. I cleaned the wormery & in the spring bought a starter kit (corm block, 1kg worms & worm food) to start again. 3 weeks later, all dead. I thought ---- it. The old saying is:-3 times for a welshman, so I gave it another shot, but this time I bought from a different supplier & started again. Read & re-read the instructions, watched numerous U tube videos, & started again. The instuctions, videos etc all say not to disturb the wormery for 3weeks, just return any escapees. Because of the previous failures I did have a peek at 10 days, all ----ing dead. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
PS anyone want to buy a wormery,lol. (only joking.)

emmaemma

Site Supporter
is there enough air flow especially as the wormery is in the potting shed?

tikkaman

Yes, the one side & door is a mesh grill, the rear & other side is wood. there is a constant air flow through. When it gets cold I do put a plant sheet around the wormery.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
I'm far from an expert but there must be a problem with that location, conditions, chemicals etc.
I'd put it outside in a shaded corner of the garden.
A small section of carpet over the top of them and sheets of wet paper under that.
I put leftover raw veg,t tea bags, broken down egg shells, shredded paper and mashed up bread into mine.
Regards, John

emmaemma

Site Supporter
someone posted this before which i think is a good place to start if you want a good wormery