World match record smashed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vince G

Hop Along
I read with interest in my local free monthly fishing publication, The Freshwater Informer that the new world match record now stands at 661lb caught in a recent match from Rockells Farm, Essex by Gary Huth. (Congratulations Gary)

Gary used Paste over scopex feed pellets fished in the margins and at 5-6 metres. He used the Midy Shok Stik that he invented with a middy 22-24 elastic to catch the huge haul of fish averaging 2-3lbs each. The bag did contain one large carp of exactly 20lb. There is no mention of the length of the match or how many fished but the report states that the catch has been acknowledged as a new world record.

The top 5 weights which totalled 1658lbs were as follows:

1st Gary Huth 661lb
2nd Glen Butler 410lb
3rd Bob swayne 226lb
4thg Geoff Warby 182lb
5th Barry Southgate 181lb

Does anyone know anything more about this achievment?

tommy

not havin it at what rate doe,s that work out in a five hour match and did he use twelve keepnets TEL DOES,NT USE THAT MUCH GROUNDBAIT NO WAY ozay

strat2

what the hell is tommy chatting about. i dont even think he can understand it

Tony_grig

We covered it a few weeks back in AT. Good old shock stik tactics and conventional pole tactics were used, but unfortunately it isn't an official record because there were only 15 fishing it. You have to have 25 on the match to claim a record. Off the top of my head I think it was a 6 hour match but I'm not 100% sure of that.
Tony

ian3412

Kenty
If it was a 6 hr match...
110 lb per hour..
If the fish averaged 3lb each taking into account the 1 large fish...
that works out at 36 ish fish an hour....

I hate to say it but the enjoyment of actually playing a fish would be lost on me at that rate!!

St helens Stan

Good luck to those that want to fish that way but its not for me. One decent winter chub off the river or a Barbel from a snaggy swim is worth more to me than 600lb of spoon fed carp. The very words shok stik say it all to me. But hey one mans meat etc etc

shaggy69

Shaggy69
Not knowing either the angler or the venue i cannot comment on this achievement,surely though with match weight's ever increasing and the use of heavily stocked commercial's for match's,do you not think that it is not a true record of the anglers ability.

Would not a match held on a river or some other venue that isn't stocked to the gill's with carp be a better guide as to the anglers skill.

Not taking anything away from this record but it does bring into question "where is it going to end as regards to match weight's"

Simon R

Site Supporter
Originally posted by shaggy69

Would not a match held on a river or some other venue that isn't stocked to the gill's with carp be a better guide as to the anglers skill.
Don't forget that the previous world-records WERE broken on rivers - the Sillees, the Bann, the Blackwater etc etc in Northern Ireland.
These were stuffed to the gills with roach that had either just finished or were about to start spawning on their annual migration to and from Lough Neagh.

A friend of mine fished the match on the Sillees when it was won with 300lbs+ (Pete Burrell 1980??) and there were so many roach that you could catch them on a bare hook in some pegs.

Simon

Severn Wolf

The top 5 weights which totalled 1658lbs were as follows:

1st Gary Huth 661lb
2nd Glen Butler 410lb
3rd Bob swayne 226lb
4thg Geoff Warby 182lb
5th Barry Southgate 181lb

As an angler it makes me hold my head in shame.

Why not just do the angling version of a trolly dash. Give each `angler` a big net and ten minutes to row round the lake in a boat catching as many carp as possible.

Theres probably more skill in that than heaving out 30 odd fish per hour. At least rowing needs a bit of thought........

shaggy69

Shaggy69
A friend of mine fished the match on the Sillees when it was won with 300lbs+ (Pete Burrell 1980??)

Exactly my point,when was the last big match weight taken on a river.Most if not all match organisers nowaday's only use commercial's,you only have to look at some river reports on here to see that rivers are having a hard time of it at the moment,as i said perhaps a match on a river such as the trent in it's present state would give you a better idea as to an anglers skill.

As i said in my earlier post i'm not knocking what was achieved,i just don't think it's a respective view of the anglers true skill

SteveB

I read about this in Anglers mail, it was a 6 hour match split into two 3 hour matches, bit of a farse if you ask me, skull dragging 3lb carp out one after another to the extent where you can catch that many is a bit odd all IMHO.

Now don't get me wrong I really enjoy fishing commercials and doing my first ton @ Rolfs in teh pairs match was a fantastic feeling, but I also equally enjoyed catching just short of 20lbs of blades in teh Northern Intersite @ Bradshaws just as much.

It is getting a bit crazy really, just how heavily stocked is this venue, it must literally be like fishing in an aquariam/fish farm stock pond.

Matt Love

The slapper
I've never fished this venue nor some of the others that throw up massive weights but I would like to know if the fishery is over-stocked or if the fish are shoaled up at certain pegs.

I think the fish need to have an appropriate environment and so should there be limits governing volumes of fish per square meter in order to prevent over-stocking and who should determine and police those limits?

On the other hand, if the fishery is not over-stocked but the fish are shoaled up then is there anything anyone can do? If your sat on a few tons of fish and they want your bait then your gonna bag up.

Then there's the issue of landing the fish quickly and whether that is better for the fish than a fight lasting a few minutes.

There are many questions that I think need addressing and perhaps it is time to ask for some research to be done if it isn't being done already.

Hatman

Drawbag ace
I've been surprised to find how quickly a decent carp can be landed with a pole shipped back smoothly with the tip low, before an accurate sweep of the net. Its mugging them really. But i don't think it works every time, far from it (maybe i'm missing a trick?!). Even so I would like to see someone catch at this rate before I'll feel 100% about the level of power used not being potentially damaging to the hookhold & that the tackle used is appropriate (I've never seen a shockstick).

DOUBLE RED

He used the Midy Shok Stik that he invented with a middy 22-24 elastic to catch the huge haul of fish averaging 2-3lbs each
Totally over the top for carp to 3lbs ill bet every fish had its mouth ripped,
Any fishery owner that allows these tactics should be brought to book, fish welfare? what a joke

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.