'World' Cinema

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I used to post on a film forum when film forums had their heyday. That's probably why I still post about films so often here.

It used to run World Cups where a film from one country would compete against another country. Quite sad but I got to see a lot of obscure foreign films this way. It also had a hardcore of posters that were, err, not to say 'anti' American films, but liked to promote films from lesser known countries.

These posters would even rage against the 'film cannon' we had of best films because it had too many films from France, Japan, and Germany and not enough from lesser watched countries. I have to say though, I was really into Japanese films at one point. I even did a 'score' for a short Ozu film below.

The middle section drags a bit but I am quite pleased with it looking back. It was done using a Koto instrument on my computer.

I was also into French and German New Wave Cinema from the 60s and 70s, with Truffaut and Herzog films being my favourite.

Am primarily talking about the big Art House films of World Cinema but also interested in any film from different countries. I don't watch many foreign films these days as I have gone off watching subtitles and generally watch American and Hollywood films. But it's still something I like to talk about. My username is even named after a famous Russian Art House film.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Remember seeing a couple of those German films when I was younger.
Far too much hair going on for my tastes.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Fassbinder, Herzog and Wenders all great filmmakers in my book.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
If you're watching a foreign film, would you rather it was badly dubbed or had subtitles ?

Badly dubbed in some cases. One of my favourite German films I would even today still recommend to anyone is Aguirre, The Wrath of God, and that's much better with the English Dub for me. Another favourite French film is Sans Soleil, and again best watched with the english narration. Also love Spaghetti Western and Kung Fu dubbing!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
aguirre-the-wrath-of-god.jpg

Aguirre! I was obsessed with this for so long! But definitely watch the English Dub to get the most out of it in my opinion.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I watched a French TV police series called Braquo, that had subtitles, and after a while you didn't really notice you were reading

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
1950s Italian 'sword and sandals" films are the best .
They are so badly dubbed that it looks like the women are speaking the men's words.
Saying that though some Italian women could do the men's parts

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I like French Crime films... Alain Delon in Pierre Melville films like Le Cercle Rouge and Le Samourai... but these days it's mostly Hollywood for me

Another good one Elevator to the Gallows with a Miles Davis soundtrack.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Have you ever seen "Hercules in New York", starring Arnold Strong(Schwarzenegger) ? They dubbed his voice in that.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hi Z, please excuse a film Neanderthal hijacking your thread.

Just watched the black and white `Great expectations`. Like many I know the story backwards but still enjoy it. What gets me though
is although the film is old the sound is quite sharp so why do I have to keep turning the sound up and down on a modern telly?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My mate is really into Italian Horror / Giallo films and so I've seen a few as a result and some of those are dubbed. He mocks me for liking Suspiria so much though, the remake I couldn't even watch it was so bad haha. Watch a good copy in the dark as the colours are amazing.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Not so much films but TV series. Don't mind subs at all. In fact, I often use them when watching English language shows. Some great foreign stuff out there. Israeli, Swedish, German, Spanish, Italian, Argentinian.