WORKPRO Socket / Toolsets

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have snapped a couple of 180lb ft rated snap on torque wrenches over the years, This was during normal use as well. They went where the head part of the wrench joins the shaft.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Harley wouldn't be for me, I prefer sports bikes. If I was to have a tourer I'd love a BMW K1600GT just for the engine noise 🙂

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
What nonsense and a blatant attempt at bypassing the swear filters....
Done thousands of enjoyable miles on my Harleys and hopefully many more to come.
From someone with an engineering background, I don’t know how you can like them. Heavy, slow, poor brakes, poor handling and poorly put together are just a few of the things. But each to their own.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I dont have a bike myself at the moment, but I do occasionally ride customers bikes. They are mainly Sports or naked sports bikes, with the odd trail bike, like a GS or Tennere. Bikes these days have evolved for a specific job or what the type of riding the owner likes. I don’t like big cruisers, they don’t do anything particularly well and have poor quality equipment on them, but cost a fortune.

dave brittain 1

From someone with an engineering background, I don’t know how you can like them. Heavy, slow, poor brakes, poor handling and poorly put together are just a few of the things. But each to their own.
My last bike was a Hayabusa, prior to that ZX9R's, CBR1000, VFR 800i, etc. My worst bike was a BMW R1100S however as aerospace engineer I wouldn't say no to a Harley V Rod or a Softail Slim. Sometimes as an engineer you simply just love the design, warts and all.

Riding bikes isn't all about going fast or ultra refined handling, it's also not always about reliability ask anybody who's owned Italian bikes, yet they still love them. Sometimes you simply take the good with the bad and just enjoy being on the open road, not that you can find many in the UK today.

As for tools I've never had any problems with the original Halfords Pro sets which came with a lifetime guarantee.

I have to admit I know nothing about motorbikes whatsoever, but a Harley is like a piece of art to the likes of me absolutely stunning, however I was a mechanical fitter for ICI for many years and other engineers who I worked with and were really I to their bikes, one was a semi pro rider in the British Sidecar championships, used to say what Sam has about them.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I agree with that to a certain extent. But surely it isn’t that enjoyable if the ride beats you to death or it always breaks down. Yes Ducati’s have always had electrical problems. Harleys in my mind are not suited to our narrow winding roads, more the open straight highways you get in the US, with no corners in them. They are like oil tankers. Hard to stop and hard to turn.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I get the Italian thing but with cars.

I almost plumped for a Alfa Brera instead of an Astra, only thing that stopped me was the one i wanted was in Skegness and didnt want to risk getting caught going to fetch it in lockdown :LOL: Also it's a long way to get it towed back when/if i goes wrong in the first 3 months o_O

Snap-On was the domain of the motor trade sold off the back of vans by agents mainly on credit. They came to me when I had my own small engineering firm and sold direct to the lads.

Industry was different in alot of cases especially if many of your tools were supplied by your employer, working as a fitter for two massive companies ICI and Heinz they never scrimped on quality. When I was an apprentice retirees always dished ther multitude of tools to us lads, always keeping some for themselves.

Everyone always seemed to have similar makes.

In the early days 'King Dick' were always the spanners especially big sizes and imperial sizes, though Britool were also used alot, when I first started it was rare to have a socket set of your own, you had to book one out of the stores, these were generally always Britool as were tork wrenches.
Eclipse were the hacksaws and blades Rabone Chesterman then Mitutoyo for measuring stuff like micrometers, rulers and squares, as long as I can remember my screwdrivers and tape measures were always Stanley, Bacho for adjustable spanners and Bondhus for Allen keys, these were always considered the best.
In later years we used to get gedore and falcom which were top notch all of this changed for me 20 or years ago when Teng tools came to the market they were quality at half the price of most of the makes I have mentioned.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I wouldnt want to ride one. Big heavy cumbersome things , that don’t do anything for me at all. I have worked on a few and that was enough. They are a cult bike, but I don’t think a great bike.
I’ve ridden them all over Europe, my hardtail chop wasn’t heavy or cumbersome.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I agree with that to a certain extent. But surely it isn’t that enjoyable if the ride beats you to death or it always breaks down. Yes Ducati’s have always had electrical problems. Harleys in my mind are not suited to our narrow winding roads, more the open straight highways you get in the US, with no corners in them. They are like oil tankers. Hard to stop and hard to turn.
Absolute rubbish, I got my first Harley in 1981 and have owned them until a couple of years ago, looking to sell a bike I have at the moment and get another. They aren’t hard to turn, nor hard to stop, why make things up if you haven’t ridden one.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Never heard of `snail` brand, just looked them up, different world then British stuff.

Gedore was mentioned, another go to brand, German?
I had a Gedore socket set in 1970, I gave it to my next door neighbour 2 years ago when I moved house along with all other tools, It is still going strong, yes they are a German brand.
You could hit Snail brand and King Dick spanners with a lump hammer to free large stubborn nuts and bolts,

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Had a root through my stuff changing a clutch at work today. Got Snap On, Mac Tools, Bluepoint, Bahco, Facom, King Dick, Draper, Sealey, Gedore, Hazet, Halfords Pro / Advanced, Koken, Elora, Knipex, Sykes Pickavant, Cornwell & Stahlwille.

Bought my first tool box off an old guy who had retired 20 years ago, some of it was stolen 6 years ago. Added various 2nd hand bits to it ever since.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Absolute rubbish, I got my first Harley in 1981 and have owned them until a couple of years ago, looking to sell a bike I have at the moment and get another. They aren’t hard to turn, nor hard to stop, why make things up if you haven’t ridden one.
You are of course entitled to your opinion. Perhaps if you have only owned and ridden Harleys you have nothing else to compare it to. I have worked in the industry for the best part of 40 years , and I’m entitled to mine. So we will agree to disagree.