Worker admits stealing £3,700 of Fishing Equipment

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
It's interesting how theft / fraud is perceived by different people.

I've spent a large part of my career in the Middle East where it is common. Some people see it as a normal part of their income.

I worked for a company which was a long established partnership between a UK plc and a very well respected local family. It was a constant battle putting a stop to the various scams which were always going on. I often thought that if some of our employees were as resourceful in their day jobs as they were at trying to fiddle us they would all have been CEO's.

The family backed us in terms of having a zero tolerance policy to corruption although they were loathe to involve the authorities. Offenders were generally terminated immediately and forfeited gratuities etc. There was however one instance which baffled me at the time. We knew that their quarry manager was sending loads out of the gate for cash and trousering the proceeds. The family told us not to take any action but they put a 'spy' in the quarry to keep an eye on him and ensure that he didn't take the p**s and overdo it !! :unsure:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
It's interesting how theft / fraud is perceived by different people.

I've spent a large part of my career in the Middle East where it is common. Some people see it as a normal part of their income.

I worked for a company which was a long established partnership between a UK plc and a very well respected local family. It was a constant battle putting a stop to the various scams which were always going on. I often thought that if some of our employees were as resourceful in their day jobs as they were at trying to fiddle us they would all have been CEO's.

The family backed us in terms of having a zero tolerance policy to corruption although they were loathe to involve the authorities. Offenders were generally terminated immediately and forfeited gratuities etc. There was however one instance which baffled me at the time. We knew that their quarry manager was sending loads out of the gate for cash and trousering the proceeds. The family told us not to take any action but they put a 'spy' in the quarry to keep an eye on him and ensure that he didn't take the p**s and overdo it !! :unsure:
Working in a bank you soon get to know which nationalities see fraud/theft etc. as an acceptable means of adding to one's income. Actions were taken that today would be seen to be "racist". I guess it was but how else do you protect yourself?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
There was a lad I grew up with who, like me ended up working for Barclays. We would fish together most Sundays and at one point worked in the same branch.

When his father died he inherited a lump of money that he spent. Having got used to the extra cash he decided to help himself to the bank's money when his inheritance ran out. He was of course found out and "asked to resign". I lost touch with him but I think he became a mini cab driver. Died in his fifties.

I knew a few people in the bank for whom the availability of money became too much of an attraction. Its effect on me when I started was for money to lose its value. When you are handling tens of thousands of pounds of cash a day it is easy to forget its true worth. As a consequence I found myself at one point with no money and a week to pay day. I spent my last few pounds on some casters and the entry to a Thursday evening match on the Lee in Tottenham, won the match, pocketed £25 and made it through to pay day. Never again have I been that low in funds but the idea of stealing never entered my head. Even worse would have been asking my parents for a sub to pay day.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
warehouse that i used to work driving a few years ago had one driver taking boxes of tippix and other office supplies to sell at car boot sales
2 more used to fill the vans with drops and extra boxes of ink cartridges and laser some of the laser where 100 pounds each lost a few thousand before they where caught. Had a van stolen out of depot just been loaded with 25000 pounds of stock found burnt out a few days later

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
I did 10 years in betting shops and lost count of the amount of staff who thought they could beat the system and get away with stealing money, all were sacked.

In the last company i was with for 5 years i got to know the head of security who used to come out whenever anyone was getting sacked. He walked in one day when i was working with the new girl who had been there 2 weeks.

I turned to her and said "have you been thieving? That's the head of security and i don't think he's here for me" she went white as a sheet. He asked her to cash check her till and sure enough £20 short, she was given her marching orders there and then, out she slunk tail between her legs.
one betting shop we used to use years ago was known for paying short on winning bets had to make sure you knew roughly what you won before claiming your winnings

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
years ago, I got kotchered trying to lift a mars bar in our local shop

The matey, now long since dead, gave me a thick ear and some advice

If your ever going to steal summat, make sure that summat is worth stealing

there has been times since when I coulda ripped things, but those words always come back to remind me

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
One of the cleverest scams I saw was at Harringay Dog Track while I was working in the Tote control room.

A lot of foreign students worked at the track. Two worked on the Win payout window. One of the permanent staff showed me what they had done to get away with a few hundred pounds. Her job was to check through the sheets used to balance each particular window the day after a meeting. She spotted two that she knew were hooky but could not at first see why. The staff had paid out far too much for a normal window in a normal meeting but the sheet balanced. Then it hit her.

Win payouts were normally less than a pound per winning basic 20p ticket (might have been 10p then). The two staff had added £1 in front of every payout amount. So wile they paid the winning punter, say, 50p the sheet said £1.50 and they pocketed the extra pound. Their sheet balanced perfectly but of course the total amount "paid out" was a few hundred pounds more than it should have been. That meeting was the day before they left the country.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I always said to my lads, if you need anything for home use - ask,
if you need something for a guvvy - buy it,
if I ever catch you stealing from me - I'll break your wrists.

It worked really well.

rudd

Site Supporter
Working in a bank you soon get to know which nationalities see fraud/theft etc. as an acceptable means of adding to one's income. Actions were taken that today would be seen to be "racist". I guess it was but how else do you protect yourself?
I work for one of the Big Four and we are regulated by FSA.
Our contracts are so strict we will be fired for any fraud conviction - including theft.
We are trained in anti bribary / corruption / theft and from all the training we see receive can clearly see the link / evidence of crime linked to terrorism!
Lowest example of this is someone stealing a chocolate bar as they are hungry, may not be seen to be linked to terrorism?
They are hungary as they have no money, money spent on drugs, drug dealer, organised crime, terrorism.
Any crime that can be linked to organised gangs has links to terrorism.
Of course not all crime is directly linked, some people are just greedy and line their pockets at other peoples.expense - other people being the rest of us as insurance prices and rrp increase to cover loses.

PAB

Site Supporter
Know of someone who defrauded his employer out of over £40,000 worth of overtime payments he was advised to take voluntary early retirement and got another £40,000 golden hand shake and told to be quite about it and not bring bad press to his employer. needless to say he worked for the govement.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
When I first started work as a temp in a warehouse, there were so many temps at the time that the agency employed someone to manage their timesheets, dish out the weekly pay packets etc. They hired an Indian chap. Very amicable guy. If you were a few minutes late he'd mark you in as on time. Always had the pay packets ready and correct on a Friday.
It was only after he left and went back to India that it transpired that he was claiming off the agency for a few 'ghost' temps and pocketing their wages every week!