Worker admits stealing £3,700 of Fishing Equipment

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Couldn't agree more @Dave thrown away a job and now has a criminal record for stealing from an employer, making his chances of getting another job pretty slim. You do have to wonder how he thought he would get away with it when the revenue didn't match the sales from Gift cards which I am guessing would have shown up as a separate category to instore or online sales.

rudd

Site Supporter
Couldn't agree more @Dave thrown away a job and now has a criminal record for stealing from an employer, making his chances of getting another job pretty slim. You do have to wonder how he thought he would get away with it when the revenue didn't match the sales from Gift cards which I am guessing would have shown up as a separate category to instore or online sales.
There would be flags in place for both purchase (or theft) and use of high cash value gift cards to prevent fraud.
Very tempting to steal from any shop in Norwich as they have special tills up there - so they can fit their hand and all six fingers in! 😯

62tucker

Site Supporter
Lad at my work lost his £30k a year job for life by stealing a pair of wiper blades. And had 3 young kids.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Years ago I did some work for a builder. His labourer was caught stealing. Going onto site on an evening and a weekend and taking building materials. The builder sacked him but, a few months later set him back on as the lad had given him the sob story. Low and behold the lad did it again. Apparently he had a gambling problem. The second time the builder pressed for a prosecution. We never saw the lad again. The builder reckoned he’d had over £10,000 worth of materials over a 6 month period stolen. 🙄

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Years ago I did some work for a builder. His labourer was caught stealing. Going onto site on an evening and a weekend and taking building materials. The builder sacked him but, a few months later set him back on as the lad had given him the sob story. Low and behold the lad did it again. Apparently he had a gambling problem. The second time the builder pressed for a prosecution. We never saw the lad again. The builder reckoned he’d had over £10,000 worth of materials over a 6 month period stolen. 🙄
Under the foundations ? ;)

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Playing devils advocate here. Where do you draw the line between 'office pilfering' and stealing?

nejohn

Site Supporter
There have been a few instances where I work of people stealing a few quids worth of stationary, equipment or fiddling expenses all have been sacked from well paid jobs for stealing stuff worth maybe a couple of hours wages. However I do know of one guy who many years ago worked in the purchasing dept, his brother owned a small engineering company, when we needed a new CNC machining centre he bought 2 and had one delivered to his brothers factory, he got away with it, it came out a few years after he retired. I have always said that all of my expenses claims will be exactly what I spend I won't even take a pen from the stationary cupboard, why risk a fairly well paid job and a final salary pension for a few quid. However if £10 million goes missing and I am not in the next day it could be me........if you are going to take a big risk then the end result has to be extremally worthwhile.

62tucker

Site Supporter
When on the sites I work on a canny sized council refit job. Full gutted etc. Had to employ % of local workers. Many never worked in their lives before. You could go there on a Sunday and buy anything from the storage yard. The job must of used double the materials that was quoted for.
Also remember working with a new lad and we fitted about 80 8x4 sheets around a compound. Next day we turned up and all been removed. Same kid came back with his mates and removed them.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've sacked two barmaids for theft. I wanted rid of them both as they were garbage anyway but the thefts were they ideal opportunity. One of them was giving free drinks to a couple of her mates. It was a quiet night & there were about 10 empty corona bottles in the bottle bin. According to the till we hadn't sold any corona. Looked on the CCTV & she was sneaking them over the bar, out of sight of the other regulars.
The other one was putting payments for drinks straight in her tip jar. One regular told her she'd short changed him by a tenner. He told me she gave him the tenner straight from her tip jar.....she'd pnly been on duty for 20 minutes. I kept my eye on her & then one night, I commented to a regular that according to the till, he'd only had one pint of Doombar (unusual for him). He said he'd had three. She'd only rung one in the till. The till was about £20 under every shift she worked as well.
What these girls forget is that most of the regulars are my mates as well & look out for me. Anything untoward is brought to my attention.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
When I worked the bar in my ex father-in-laws pub we had a barmaid who's husband worked at the same firm as me,before she started he would be cadging fags from Wednesday to Friday,after she started he always had a full packet every morning,some people are too stupid to steal.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Pretty sure a colleague got a jail sentence for stealing expensive stuff from when I worked at Safeway in my first job.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Bookkeeper/ cashier at an Estate Agent client of the firm I used to work for got three years for helping himself to tenant's money from their client account.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
When I was Station Manager at Peckam Rye it became apparent - I won't disclose how - that one of the barrier blokes was pocketing excess fares. I had a word in his ear and told him that I knew what he was doing (I'd risen from the ranks and seen all of the stunts) so, "stop right know or I'll start a disciplinary". But the dimboid didn't. I think that it was a mix of arrogance and stupidity. Anyhoo, he went through the disciplinary with a Form 1 issued (railway people will know). At that point I made one more effort. "Look, you know the Area Manager is a son of a bitch and he'll sack you so just resign now". But no, he didn't did he. And so it came to pass that he was sacked for theft. He lost;
his job
his pension
his subsequent employability into a reasonable job
his home. He was renting a railway association house.
Theft, petty pilfering. It just isn't worth it.

DevonDangler

Site Supporter

Now, this is something else!!! I’m ashamed to say, she is a cousin of mine. My wife used to say “how do they afford such holidays” but I always assumed her husband had a good job. She has ruined so many lives in a small village, absolutely disgusting 😩

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I did 10 years in betting shops and lost count of the amount of staff who thought they could beat the system and get away with stealing money, all were sacked.

In the last company i was with for 5 years i got to know the head of security who used to come out whenever anyone was getting sacked. He walked in one day when i was working with the new girl who had been there 2 weeks.

I turned to her and said "have you been thieving? That's the head of security and i don't think he's here for me" she went white as a sheet. He asked her to cash check her till and sure enough £20 short, she was given her marching orders there and then, out she slunk tail between her legs.