Woolwich dockyard yesterday (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
So I decided yesterday that I'd go out for a fish at the docks, I had prepared my bait the night prior to the session so I was out the house like lightning. It was debatable on whether I was going to fish or not as I'd had a throat infection and have recently not been feeling too good. Luckily, this was my day, so I wasted no time and got up to Woolwich Dockyard!

After looking like a bit of a numpty on a packed bus on early morning, I stopped off at the docks and was down there and set up for about 9:30am...not a very early start, but at least I was there.

I was armed with...

- Red maggot

- Chickpea

- And some mild cheddar cheese cubes!!!

I set up the pod and baited my rod up with the chickpea, I also chose this as an oppertunity to try out them mouth snagger things from carp 'r' us too. With a red magaligner on I dropped the bait in about 4 foot out from the bank in to the margins but quite away from me. I put the pod at an angle also so that my rod had less of a chance of falling in. I baited up with chickpea and a few red maggot and kept regularly baiting up.

I set one rod up for fishing shallow in the deeper water with a seperate carp rod with a size 12 hook and cheese. And another float rod so I could chop and change with a size 18 hook on, baited with maggot and set on the bottom of a particular area I wanted to fish, wihich was about 20foot deep. This meant that I was using a slider rig on this rod, job done!

The carp rod was set out on the leger nicely. So I decided to do what other people had been doing and fish about 4 foot feep, in an area of water which is about 30 foot deep in the docks with floatfished cheese. No loosefeed at all, or that would draw the fish to the bottom, one whacking freat lump of cheese, and I awaited a carp...and waited...and waited...and the float shot under!

...it was a tiny roach...HOW DID IT MANAGE TO TAKE THAT!?!?!

Again, I rebaited and recast, and my mate Luke along with his Grandad turned up. Luke was carping and his grandad was floatfishing in the margins with cheese also. The float went under again, and again, it was another pathetically small roach! I didn't understand it!

I went over to luke for a bit who was also using...yep you guessed it...CHEESE, on the leger in the margins and upon speaking to him his alarm went off and he caught a lovely little 3lbs common.

I walked back to my rods and put the cheese out again, and waited, and hoped...and waited, and it went under again!!!

...A perch...no word of a lie...a perch....on cheese...I had to laugh!

Luke came down to me for a bit and we were chatting. I changed my rod to the one on the slider rig and was raking out some lovely perch! When all of a sudden the bolt rig shot off, Luke jumped out of his skin, I jumped out of my position, and got to my rod like lightning!

The fish was definately a carp, and it was thumping around heavily. Luke was persistantly teling me to get its head up but I couldn't!!! The fish was insistant on keeping its head down but before long I managed to get its head up and in to the net. I had a target this year of trying to get my 1st ever double out of the Docks, and this could have been it...
It was a beautiful looking mirror carp with lots of character to it and when weighed, it turned the avons to...

10lbs 10oz

(apologies on the wonky cap, things were a bit mad at the time)

10lbs10ozmirror.jpg

10lbs10ozmirror2.jpg

Job done, another target sorted! [:D]

Later, after a few silvers and perch on the slider rig, my mate Mickey came down to have a chat, he picked up the cheese rod and had a go with it, also amazed at catching small roach on big lumps of cheese.

We got to chatting for a bit and the alarm screamed off again, I hit in to another carp and knew at the end of it that my rig was satisfactory...(well it must have been if I had caught 2 carp on it already), so them magaligners from carp 'r' us DO work [:D]. After a nice little battle I was sliding the net under a brilliant looking lean common and when weighed, the scales turned to...

7lbs on the dot!

7lbscommon.jpg

Another carp and another happy face! Mickey on the other hand ended up resorting to fishing about an inch off the bank in to the margins at about 3.4 foor deep (which is how deep the margins are to the 1st step of the docks) and the float went under, not a roach or a perch, but a beautiful bar of gold...a crucian that is, on cheese, weighing a respectable 2lbs 4oz. No pic sorry, but very well done to Mickey, on catching a new PB crucian and his 1st ever crucian out of the docks.

Another fish filled day for me and a target achieved, 'AVE IT! haha,
Thanks for reading everyone!
Tight lines!
Ash

Last edited:

friendofxmus

some nice fish there well done!
cheese is one of the baits i always use when going for carp. Dont know how the roach managed to get the cheese in its mouth lol

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
neither did i mate! it happened a few times as well, i think what had happened was that the rudd nibbled bits away from it and the roach came in and finished the job, i can understand that a perch would have a mouth big enough for it but i'd never though that a perch would take cheese lol

ashtheangler

Team tackletek
ady mate, most of the fish are dark in that lake, minus the koi's and the ghosties, the reason to this is because the lake is so deep - even in the margins, this therefore means restricted light and the fish get a lot darker. Brilliant looking fish though, it gives them character dont you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.