Wooda Lakes near Holsworthy Devon

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I had a weeks holiday there , came back on bank holiday monday.
This is a great place to relax, and has some good fishing to offer.
There are 12 wood lodges on there of varying size etc, all have a secure tackle shed and bait fridge with them.4 of the 12 have hot tubs, We stopped in one that had hot tub, in fact same lodge we stayed in last september and booked again for October.
There are 5 waters on there, a residents only water, tench and crucian, mixed, ,match,specimen.
Having fished a few of them last year I decided to give the residents only one a try this time.
The first day I must have had 140lb plus of carp of various sizes from 2lb to around 6lb, perch that looked like wasps to around 10oz and chunky roach of around 6oz.
After that I just had short sessions of a few hours after days out, Anyone going into Bude will find a great tackle shop on the canal side near to the lock gate to the sea.Also good fishing is to be had in the canal I am told.
The short sessions averaged out at around 40lb or so for a couple of hours, similar stamp of fish.
The tackle I took was a matrix mtx margin pole and a 25 year old Concept 13' carp waggler rod, this doubled up as a pellet waggler rod.
Float was a 4ssg Guru foam.line was 6lb Guru pulse to a 14 x strong banded hooklength.
Rigs for pole were an off the shelf Preston Innovations DS 4 x 12 shallow rig . This was for fishing at 7 metres out on maggot.and 4mm F1 soft hooker pellet as a change of bait.
The margin rig was a 0.4g Drennan crystal dibber on 0.17 guru n gauge to a size 16 x power hook. I was going to use the floats that @Me and my lad made for me, but I forgot to pack them. Sorry mate I could have told you how they performed, i will try them at another venue either in oxford or north west soon.
The margin was fished between 9" and 2' deep depending on how the fish were feeding,
Bait used was mainly maggot over 2mm Mainline pellets soaked in F1 liquid.
Other baits used were F1 soft hookers, JPZ black pellets and Fjuka white pellets,
All caught fish of various sizes and species.
The fishing was something that had to be worked at, the carp would come and go , You could be catching well on pellet waggler then they would disappear, and had to cast around without feeding to find them again.
The wasp size perch were like little bait robbing piranhas once they moved in to the margins,
The 7 metre line produced carp and silvers, I was bringing a roach in of around 4oz and a carp was following it trying to eat it, that's the first time I have seen that. I know my mate has had carp to 15lb on roach dead baits when fishing for eels.
All in all good fishing and accommodation.and in a lovely part of the country.Tamar Lakes and Bude are around 5 to 7 miles away.
Looking forward to going again in october, This time it will be waggler rod and short 4.5 margin pole, chair and bag of bits.
Reason being we went to a garden centre at Launceston, has a brilliant tackle shop selling everything from disgorgers to acolyte plus rods, a wide range of fly fishing and sea fishing tackle as well.
Enclosed a couple of fishy pics and pic of peg I fished
IMG-20210503-WA0000.jpg
20210501_175106.jpg 20210430_180349.jpg 20210427_125110.jpg 20210427_122731.jpg 20210427_163138.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20210503-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20210503-WA0000.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 1

Reuben

Site Supporter
We’re away to Devon - Kingslakes - on Saturday. Hope I do as well as you did. Only taking the old JW Avon Quiver Travel & an 11ft Korum float rod rated 3 to 8lb lines. Can’t be bothered with a pole. We’re taking the Jazz with the wife’s bike so have to cut down on tackle........Glad you had a good time.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
We’re away to Devon - Kingslakes - on Saturday. Hope I do as well as you did. Only taking the old JW Avon Quiver Travel & an 11ft Korum float rod rated 3 to 8lb lines. Can’t be bothered with a pole. We’re taking the Jazz with the wife’s bike so have to cut down on tackle........Glad you had a good time.
It's not far from where we stayed,around 8 miles away I think. There is a good tackle shop on the industrial estate at Holsworthy. Sells a wide range of tackle, plus maggots, also frozen maggots are £1 a pint. Plus as I mentioned there is one in Bude, ( free parking in Bude up to 17th May) and one at Homeleigh garden centre in Launceston.
If you have access to a bait fridge there, take some with you.
Some of the A roads are more like winding country lanes.

Sofra

Hi warrington 63. I am due to go in 3 weeks after last going about 3 years ago. I know it says on the website that they now have a crucian & tench lake. Think its the 2nd lake in. Did you try it?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Hi warrington 63. I am due to go in 3 weeks after last going about 3 years ago. I know it says on the website that they now have a crucian & tench lake. Think its the 2nd lake in. Did you try it?
Hi mate I tried it last year,Was ok, yes it's the 2nd one in.
This year the people I spoke to who fished it said tench to 2.8lb were coming out, A few tench caught each session.
I mainly stuck with the residents only lake, That's the first one in.
The peg I fished was in front of the parking space and the first one to the right of the life belt. Only because I could cast into the corner to my right. Fish were showing on all waters, the mixed lake fished very well a couple of times.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Well done Mark - sounds a cracking little place.
Some great pictures too. Got any pics of the tiny perch? 😋👍

glad you and the missus had a good time. See you Friday.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Well done Mark - sounds a cracking little place.
Some great pictures too. Got any pics of the tiny perch? 😋👍

glad you and the missus had a good time. See you Friday.
Hi James, no ,not got any pics of tiny perch, didnt have zoom lens on phone 😄. I think they got mugged by the maggots and put on the hook.
Yep see you friday, @adriang And @topfeeder may be going as well.
I will try and get there as close to 8am as possible.

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Great write up, i live 5 miles now from Wooda Lakes, not had chance to go yet but will be making the trip in the next few weeks. You must fish Tamar when you come back in October. I will be there Friday getting my open end feeder skills enhanced.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Great write up, i live 5 miles now from Wooda Lakes, not had chance to go yet but will be making the trip in the next few weeks. You must fish Tamar when you come back in October. I will be there Friday getting my open end feeder skills enhanced.
Out of the 5 waters on there, I think 4 of them can be fished on day ticket,
They have matches on there, but I think they are club matches.
I am thinking of having a go on Tamar , which is the best ? Lower or Upper and best method ?

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Out of the 5 waters on there, I think 4 of them can be fished on day ticket,
They have matches on there, but I think they are club matches.
I am thinking of having a go on Tamar , which is the best ? Lower or Upper and best method ?
Please note not an expert at the moment on Tamar but plan to get there a lot over the coming months. I have at the moment only fished upper. I just fished the open end feeder with ground bait laced with pellets, corn and hemp. Corn on the hook and had some really nice skimmers to 3lb. Fished at 25 metres in 12ft of water.
Thinking of taking the pole on Friday and trying expanders. Lot of locals suggest fishing the whip starting at 4m then moving out to 8m with the fish. Small balls of groundbait with caster and maggots.

I will let you know how i get on over the coming months. when you come down in October i should have more info for you. We could meet up for a session also. :)

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Please note not an expert at the moment on Tamar but plan to get there a lot over the coming months. I have at the moment only fished upper. I just fished the open end feeder with ground bait laced with pellets, corn and hemp. Corn on the hook and had some really nice skimmers to 3lb. Fished at 25 metres in 12ft of water.
Thinking of taking the pole on Friday and trying expanders. Lot of locals suggest fishing the whip starting at 4m then moving out to 8m with the fish. Small balls of groundbait with caster and maggots.

I will let you know how i get on over the coming months. when you come down in October i should have more info for you. We could meet up for a session also. :)
Cheers sounds good,
I went to look at Lower Tamar last year, got to the car park and the heavens opened, rain came down like stair rods,
Chose the easy option.. stay in car and wipers going full pelt as tried to look through windscreen. 😁

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Cheers sounds good,
I went to look at Lower Tamar last year, got to the car park and the heavens opened, rain came down like stair rods,
Chose the easy option.. stay in car and wipers going full pelt as tried to look through windscreen. 😁
Lower is very nice. both have lovely scenery.

Reuben

Site Supporter
It's not far from where we stayed,around 8 miles away I think. There is a good tackle shop on the industrial estate at Holsworthy. Sells a wide range of tackle, plus maggots, also frozen maggots are £1 a pint. Plus as I mentioned there is one in Bude, ( free parking in Bude up to 17th May) and one at Homeleigh garden centre in Launceston.
If you have access to a bait fridge there, take some with you.
Some of the A roads are more like winding country lanes.
Had to visit Homeleigh Garden Centre for a new brolly as mine blew inside out on Tuesday! Bloody need it too as it’s absolutely persisted down for big parts every of day down here. Humped down from lunchtime yeasterday & is still going strong as I write this.
Excellent place though with very good fishing. Mostly tench up to 2lb, carp to 10lb with a few skimmers & perch in the mix. Highlight so far is a roach of just over 1lb. Corn is the bait of choice with meat as a change. I think there’s far too many small perch to use maggot based on what others have said. All the fish on the float - highly enjoyable. I’ll try for a few photos tomorrow if it stops phishing down long enough........

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Had to visit Homeleigh Garden Centre for a new brolly as mine blew inside out on Tuesday! Bloody need it too as it’s absolutely persisted down for big parts every of day down here. Humped down from lunchtime yeasterday & is still going strong as I write this.
Excellent place though with very good fishing. Mostly tench up to 2lb, carp to 10lb with a few skimmers & perch in the mix. Highlight so far is a roach of just over 1lb. Corn is the bait of choice with meat as a change. I think there’s far too many small perch to use maggot based on what others have said. All the fish on the float - highly enjoyable. I’ll try for a few photos tomorrow if it stops phishing down long enough........
When it rains hard there ,it rains hard, Had a couple of days like that last year,