Won a Fiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
Mate phoned me dinner time asking if I was going fishing, I said ok I said a side bet? he soon said WHAT only if I was to use maggots only! I said ok I'll buy some, So wife wanted some shoping done off we went got what we wanted. I brought half whites and half reds mags from local tackle shop got home sorted out what I needed and met my mate at 2pm on canal about 5 mins walk from my house. I told him i brought maggots only with bread and some ground bait no hempseed Well we setup i desided instead of fishing like I normaly do bait up 3 spots. I just used 4 sections of my pole and fished down the middle.
My ground bait I made up was a pint of lake 3000 with a pint of bream 3000. I made 4 golf balls mixed with some red maggots and baited up my peg. Set up a rig a float taken 4 no 8's setting 15inches apart waydown the line, Main line 4lb G-line hook length 2.2 12inchs long.
no shot on plumb the dept was around 4foot I set it so I was on bottom 2inches, My mate Ron shouted it will be a easy fiver he will win of me[^] I laughed. Well we started fishing I began with a double red&white on a 16 hook. No sooner was in I was into a fish It was a bream around 3lb as I reached for my landing net it bumbed off [:(]
Well spent 2 mins cleaning snot off line and in again, was'nt long befor I was into another bream just has I reached for net it was gone[:(!] with in 5 mins I had lost 2 corking bream. Not letting it upset me I put in again float shot under was a small pirch any way with in 30 mins I catched 8 small fish pirch and skimmer. Well bites died a death so in went some more ground bait with a mix of maggots and now I come of bottom about half inch used bread punch and was missing little bites, So I changed hook to a 20 soon i was winning with some nice roach after 2 hours on the bread I went to single white maggot
still fishing of bottom half inch, Still producing small fish, well time fled and soon was 7pm I knew I caught average a fish ever min or so.time for weigh in. My mate Ron lifted his net he had 19 small bits weight 2lb 4oz. On to mine lifted my net I watched Rons eyes light up as he said BLOODY HELL I s*****ed as we weighed I had 16lb 6oz with the net so took of the lb and called it a straight 16lb, Ron was lost for words as he past over a clean fiver. I must admit if I used hempseed I would have easly doubled my weight, Then "Ron said next time lets see how well you do with a bloody rod" just
no pleasing some folk. [:D]
Datafile4.jpg

Datafile4.gif

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Last edited:

norm

nice one barrie

Datafile4.asp

bashy

bashy
good haul barrie, the only thing is i thought you said MAGGOTS ONLY! but if your mate paid up then it must of been okay with him you using bread, at least it shows that you can still get good weights and enjoyable fishing with the basic baits and not all the fancy baits there is on the market these days. well done mate.

bashy.

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
Thanks guys.
Must admit did get 60% of the fish on punch. the rest was on white maggot only fish I did catch on a red was a pirch.

I will be buying more maggots for our next private contest using a rod lol. Ron dont like using a pole he said I had advantage using mine, we will see next weekend how I do with a rod on canal, Never used a rod on canal for like 7years so will be fun. Weather permitting that is, I did see forcast seems to be getting worse for next week.

Datafile4.asp

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Status
Not open for further replies.