With whom is your allegiance!?

matt

Site Supporter
Pretty much the same as Peter for match fishing, mix and match of whatever works best, although with poles I’ve always used Garbolino and my last 4 boxes have been Rive’s and I’m rapidly accumulating a large amount of Guru terminal tackle.

Fly fishing it’s either Orvis or Hardy and for boat fishing in the UK the vast majority of my rods and reels are Daiwa, so yes I suppose I am a bit of a brand tart in certain areas of fishing 😂

BaldiMug

I have a mixture of tackle, although I must say for rods I have a preference for Daiwa and all things specimen end tackle. Gardner.

Browner

Site Supporter
Drennan. Mainly due to the fact that at one time the local shop was a big Drennan supplier plus one of the biggest and long standing Drennan consultants lived local and used the shop regularly. Always good for a chat and the odd tip.

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
I'll use whatever suits, box is preston, Luggage preston, cresta, browning, leeda. Rods drennan garbo, grays, freesprit, preston, maver, cadence, reels, mainly preston centris, extremity, intensity, and a browning. Basically I'll use anything.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm currently using a Garbolino seatbox, Maver pole, MAP luggage, Daiwa reels, Cadence feeder rods, Daiwa pellet waggler rod, Preston trolley, Kamasan and Guru hooks, Preston Reflo line for rigs, Guru landing nets, MAP keepnets, so no real allegiance to any brand.

I tend to sway away from Matrix as I'm not a lover of heavy branding, however I'm beginning to get a soft spot for the Matrix MTX3 pole.
I'm put off the Garbolino poles for the same reason though - heavy branding, the Zombie margin pole has more branding on it than an Eddie Stobart HGV :D

My river gear and speci gear is also a bit of a mix and match with brands.

Greeny1178

Coarse and predator fishing , rods drennan dawia freespirt greys ,reels shimano bait runners dawia , luggage drennan , end tackle mix of everything, sea fishing rods century, reels Abu .and the only camouflage bit I got is a nash chair . And different coloured clothing

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I seem to have gone in phases and depends on what type of fishing I'm doing commercial / natural lakes or river / Barbel.

Started of with Preston gear mainly after buying a s/h absolute seat box although first pole was a Middy then Daiwa thereafter. When I got my Matrix seatbox then near enough all the accessories were Matrix. Now I just mix n match whatever I think is the best, Bit of a fan of Garbolin Multigrip seatbox accessories - well designed.

River / natural venue fishing is definitely more mix n match Octbox seatbox, Cadence & Daiwa rods, Cadence, Daiwa & Preston reels.

Barbel fishing more mix n match Korum rods, Shimano Baitrunner reels. Everything else is a mix of Kevin Nash, Korum (heavily) Drennan and Prologic.

Shadrack

The only real preference I have started to develop is for Daiwa reels. Traded a Shimano DL for a Daiwa Emcast and now I’m thinking about doing the same for the trio of Aero 8010’s I’ve got.

Rods is a mix, although the only Daiwa rod I have also happens to be my favourite one to use. I do rate my Kodex barbel rod highly as well though.

Luggage and end tackle is whatever suits or is available, I’m not picky there. Trakker make nice looking luggage though, if I were willing to spend a load of money replacing my luggage bits it would be all Trakker, it looks smart.

ae111sr

Site Supporter
My gear is a complete miscellany put together over 25 years and I used what I needed and could afford at the time I bought it.
Reels from Shimano, Daiwa, Drennan and a Lewtham centre pin
Rods from Browning, Daiwa, Drennan, MAP, Matrix and Shimano
Poles from Browning, Maver, Drennan, and Daiwa
Seatbox & Luggage from Kiley, Octoplus, Daiwa and Drennan,
Other stuff from Boss, Preston Innovations, Guru, Middy, Sensas, Shakespeare and more

Though when I fish commercials my rods, pole and reels are all Daiwa + a Shimano baitrunner.

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
Greys rods and luggage, and Okuma reels (and the odd Daiwa reel or three)

Other than that it's mix and match.

EJAYAR

First ever pole was Maver Jurassic Carp, most recent one Maver Medusa and current pole bag is also Maver. My second pole was Preston (Lerc 5033), Seat box, Preston On box, pole lines, hooks, shots stots, pole floats and Dream feeder rod are mostly Preston too BUT, I have a very mixed bag of rods and reels from ABU Garcia, Shimano, Browning, DAM, Fox, Mitchell etc. so no real allegience, just whatever takes my fancy I guess

Nicky Dodds

I'm currently using a Garbolino seatbox, Maver pole, MAP luggage, Daiwa reels, Cadence feeder rods, Daiwa pellet waggler rod, Preston trolley, Kamasan and Guru hooks, Preston Reflo line for rigs, Guru landing nets, MAP keepnets, so no real allegiance to any brand.

I tend to sway away from Matrix as I'm not a lover of heavy branding, however I'm beginning to get a soft spot for the Matrix MTX3 pole.
I'm put off the Garbolino poles for the same reason though - heavy branding, the Zombie margin pole has more branding on it than an Eddie Stobart HGV :D

My river gear and speci gear is also a bit of a mix and match with brands.
Poor old MTX3 has enough soft spots of its own :(

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have no real alegence to any one manufacturer, I have rods from just about every major company apart from Preston and that is not deliberate just when looking at rods there were no offerings available from Preston (I did have a couple of carbonactive float rods but moved them on). Terminal tackle and other bits like feeder arms, nets, catapults etc are again a mixed bag as is luggage (but I do have a few Mosella items). Reels though are predominantly Daiwa with the exception of a DAM reel that I got for silly money, a Rive that I got in a deal with a Rive rod and have recently bought a Preston magnitude (which I haven't yet used). Other than those there are a couple of old ABU 506m's, a couple of Mitchell 440's and a Grice and Young Avon supreme. Box wise I have a BOSS a Matchbox and an old Brilo.
For me it is what does the job and is available when I am in the market

Don’tTellEmYourName

Site Supporter
Whatever I can find secondhand at a good price. Mix of everything really, however I don’t wear branded clothes because I think they are rather naff.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I have what I think is good quality. Being an engineer I normally like to look at things before I buy them. I have some of just about every brand, nothing is perfect though. I currently have my old 30 plus year old Boss box for river fishing. A new(2-3 year old Rive box for commercial fishing. A number of Browning poles. Some Preston luggage and accessories, although I think the Preston quality is slipping a bit. Rods are a couple of Drennan acolytes, although I don’t think they are as nice to use, or as good as my Dave Harrell rods. Preston Supera rods, which are excellent . Some other Preston Monster and carbotec rods. A couple of original Harrison gti’s, a few original Normarks, a few Daiwa’s and a Garbolino rocket picker, which is a great rod for the money. My older reels are Shimano, but I’m not so keen on the newer ones, so these are mainly Daiwa TDM’s, Legalise and one or two Ninja’s. Luggage is Milo pole and top kit hardcases, a bit of Preston, a bit of Guru and some Matrix. Terminal tackle is Preston, Guru and Matrix. I do like the quality of the Matrix stuff and think it is well designed and made.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have a good mix of makes , got a good few Daiwa rods, but I probably have a bigger percentage of Italian rods-Milo and Trabucco, things of beauty.